Hello!

Atomsk

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting and learning to play ukulele for awhile now. I have a guitar but don't play it as much as I would like because I'm rather convinced my hands are too small for it. =/

While searching around I found this site. I was unaware there was such a large community surrounding the ukulele.

I will be looking around the site for reviews and trying to find a good ukulele to start on when I can afford to buy one (poor college student ;P).

I look forward to this interesting pastime and hope to gain a lot from this community.

I'd also like to know from other guitar/ukulele players if it is indeed the case that a ukulele would be (physically) easier to play for someone with smaller hands.

if you want to start learing cords.. just put your capo on the 5th fret and play the bottom 4 stings while you wait for the money on your UKE! its not totally the same.. but kind of is.. and still fun.. it what i do when i dont have a uke around!

Welcome to UU. Check out this post about entry level 'ukuleles. It contains links to numerous threads about this specific topic as well as some general info about ukes.

Last edited:
I'd also like to know from other guitar/ukulele players if it is indeed the case that a ukulele would be (physically) easier to play for someone with smaller hands.

You'll have a head start, most of us moan about having big hands, get one you'll never regret it.
If your not sure you can always get a cheap one for £15 or even less, but I bet it won't be long before you upgrade.

Welcome to UU. Check out this post about entry level 'ukuleles. It contains links to numerous threads about this specific topic as well as some general info about ukes.

I think you forgot the link, chief.:cool:

I think you forgot the link, chief.:cool:

Ahh I found the topic myself.

Thanks for all of your replies so far.

I am thinking about a Kala brand but don't know whether I want a Soprano or Tenor.

I have a birthday coming up soon so maybe someone would get me a gift. ;)

Welcome to UU Atomsk. Start with any size as UAS will strike and you will end up with one of each size (or more). UAS it's unstoppable! :cool:

That's a good idea, but now I am thinking it might be best to just start on a soprano and move up. :)

The first uke I played was a soprano, then I got a tenor, then gave up the soprano for a concert and a sopranino. Wish I started concert and then got a tenor, it is right in the middle and the logical best step(except very specific cases). Your call though :), you're gonna end up with em all after UAS(ukulele acquisition syndrome) takes hold :rofl:. Just avoid TMU(too much ukulele), that can drive a man and his dreams mad :biglaugh:

Last edited:
The first uke I played was a soprano, then I got a tenor, then gave up the soprano for a concert and a sopranino. Wish I started concert and then got a tenor, it is right in the middle and the logical best step(except very specific cases). Your call though :), you're gonna end up with em all after UAS(ukulele acquisition syndrome) takes hold :rofl:. Just avoid TMU(too much ukulele), that can drive a man and his dreams mad :biglaugh:

A lot of good arguments going on here. I don't know what to think. I have a few weeks as my birthday is at the end of June to find one. I like to hope you're never to old to get good birthday presents. :D

I'm lucky I found this place, a lot of good information here.

Quick question, I'm assuming the Ukuleles in the UU store are pretty good. Anyone's opinion on them? A little to much for my wallet right now but they look like something worth saving up for, espcially this one.

Or should I just get a Kala starter kit?

Funny thing about the hands too small comment, as a guitar player I felt that I had to get at least a tenor as I felt my hands were too big to play a soprano. I now know that size does not matter, Iz can play a soprano and this kid plays full size guitar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMnv_-flLJ0&feature=related
Just go to a store, pick up some different sized ukuleles and see which one you like! I'm now up to 2 ukuleles and have my eye on a third!

Last edited:
Top Bottom