Hive Ukulele

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I was at a uke fest yesterday, and someone pointed out a nice-looking uke. I tracked down the owner during a break, and she said it was a Hive. She handed it to me and walked away. It was definitely a beauty, and it sounded great. Getting back to my seat, I used Google to learn that the builder takes a $1,000 deposit, and you wait while be builds it. The base price is $3,600. The one I played was the Hornet.

https://www.hiveukuleles.com/models

The question now is what can I sell to raise that amount, plus the cost of the extras? :D

Last edited:
That’s the usual terms of business for a Luthier like Jake McClay who builds Hive Ukes. I don’t know what Jake’s wait list is right now but I’d be surprised if it’s less than a 2 year wait. Worth the money and the wait from what I hear.

The question now is what can I sell to raise that amount, plus the cost of the extras? :D

You selling your ukes? Need a list, many folks here would gladly buy from you.

You selling your ukes? Need a list, many folks here would gladly buy from you.

I don't know about the "legality" of posting both here and in the Marketplace. I have some nice ($$) ones, and some more reasonably priced. I hope to post one or two today. Some possibilities below.

KoAloha Crown Bridge
Martin Iz
Kamaka 100th Anniversary
Kala Waterman (red)
Ohana CK-15BWE black and white ebony concert
KoAloha Opio soprano

I don't know about the "legality" of posting both here and in the Marketplace. I have some nice ($$) ones, and some more reasonably priced. I hope to post one or two today. Some possibilities below.

KoAloha Crown Bridge
Martin Iz
Kamaka 100th Anniversary
Kala Waterman (red)
Ohana CK-15BWE black and white ebony concert
KoAloha Opio soprano

These are really nice. Would gladly take the kamaka if I’m living in states. And my money pot is now for something else.

Good luck with your sales!

Jake used to work for Rick Turner on their ukes before starting his own line.
Have you tried Compass Rose ukes? From what I hear there is similarity behind the build ( modern guitar like deep sound vs traditional Hawaiian sounding). There is a very nice compass rose on reverb while you wait!
i have never tried Hive but I love my all Koa Compass Rose

Last edited:
Last edited:
Having owned a Compass Rose, a Hoffman (BP) and a Hive in the past I found the tonal comparison as: Compass Rose...….very guitar like. Hoffman...…...very traditional Hawaii ukulele sound. Hive...…..kind of a cross between a classical guitar and a harp. The build quality of the Hive ……...10+.

Jake used to work for Rick Turner on their ukes before starting his own line.
Have you tried Compass Rose ukes? From what I hear there is similarity behind the build ( modern guitar like deep sound vs traditional Hawaiian sounding). There is a very nice compass rose on reverb while you wait!
i have never tried Hive but I love my all Koa Compass Rose

The CR tenors that Jake built do sound awesome, and different from other CRs. I'm not sure when Jake stopped building for Rick about 2011/2012?
I've had my flamed cherry CR (built by Jake) for 8 years, and it keeps getting even better.:)
c1df1858-9064-4463-8c82-cdb7719b85a2_zps3cc5f974.jpg

Last edited:
there is a huge difference between a Compass Rose and the Hive ukes...the tone for one is deeper and richer on the Hive...not sure what Jake does differently,maybe thinner tops and back/sides..Jake does not have a cantilevered neck on the Hive ukes

my Compass Rose was built by Jake right before he left for W.Virginia around 2012...his builds are perfect, fit and finish hard to beat and Jake loves his work and it shows...been saying for years now Jake one of the Best...:) I have played every Hive that has come through Hawaii Music Supply and I did play his uke that was built for The Luthiers with a Cause 2 years ago

Last edited:
Really nice CR Hodge. Sounds, and looks, terrific.

I don't think I've ever seen cherry with such a strong flame before.

I'm going to have to put Hive on my covets list...

there is a huge difference between a Compass Rose and the Hive ukes...the tone for one is deeper and richer on the Hive...not sure what Jake does differently,maybe thinner tops and back/sides..Jake does not have a cantilevered neck on the Hive ukes

my Compass Rose was built by Jake right before he left for W.Virginia around 2012...his builds are perfect, fit and finish hard to beat and Jake loves his work and it shows...been saying for years now Jake one of the Best...:) I have played every Hive that has come through Hawaii Music Supply and I did play his uke that was built for The Luthiers with a Cause 2 years ago

I know he uses a different support system inside, something beginning with a "K."

Impressive uke set!

I have an expensive electric bicycle I purchased with insurance money when my motorbike was stolen. I see it as a slow motorbike, combined with public transport it is often better for urban use than a motorbike. However, all people ask me is how much it cost, which is very creepy. They never asked how much the motorbike cost or how much my car costs, both cost a lot more and serve the same purpose. Why do you care so much about how much things cost all the time, once you have paid the bill and take out appropriate insurance?
If you buy a nice thing like a well made ukulele, why wont you just use it and forget how much it costs?
Jake the Hive maker makes the ukes to be played, not displayed. He makes them well enough so they can be repaired if they get damaged. I now know several people who have enjoyed 6 or 7 years of ukulele playing and stuff because I took my nice uke to an event and let them try it out. If you want to impress people enough to get them to take up ukulele, letting them play a Hive is going to be a great start. Its like a hook, their first impression of a uke is playing a Hive, think about it. They know that they can't get one straight away, but it becomes a goal to pursue and it adds so much positive value to their lives. Take a calculated risk, and share your fine ukes with others, the benefits are worth a lot more than the purchase price. Obviously if you have several ukes, its horses for courses when you choose which one to take, but sometimes it is nice to be at a well organised festival with some friends and fine food and a very nice uke to share.

I would never share an expensive uke, nor would I ask for one to be shared with me. If someone plays one, I can hear how it sounds. I would purchase it for my own enjoyment, and the price would only be a factor in that the loss to me if anything happened to it would be mine to bear. I do not think a hook of hearing an expensive uke is necessary to get someone interested. If the music that can be played on a nice one is not enough to entice, then I see no reason why an expensive one would do the trick. If you had taken a mid range Ohana, I am sure those people would have been impressed enough to take up the ukulele. It is like saying one needs to try out a Bentley to be excited to learn to drive a car, though I am sure those who drive Bentleys feel great when others gawk at their nice car and wish they had one. Shimabukuro on a low end uke is way more inspirational than a uke in the thousands to try.

You can learn on any uke that stays in tune.. the likelihood that you will put in more time can increase if you love the sound of the uke.. there is always an unpleasantness when starting to go through the grind of learning new skills, owning a uke you have an emotional attachment to will increase the joy..
Also I like what is said here

Top Bottom