PDA

View Full Version : Hive Ukulele

Jerryc41
04-15-2019, 01:01 AM
I was at a uke fest yesterday, and someone pointed out a nice-looking uke. I tracked down the owner during a break, and she said it was a Hive. She handed it to me and walked away. It was definitely a beauty, and it sounded great. Getting back to my seat, I used Google to learn that the builder takes a $1,000 deposit, and you wait while be builds it. The base price is $3,600. The one I played was the Hornet.

https://www.hiveukuleles.com/models

The question now is what can I sell to raise that amount, plus the cost of the extras? :D

hollisdwyer
04-15-2019, 01:08 AM
That’s the usual terms of business for a Luthier like Jake McClay who builds Hive Ukes. I don’t know what Jake’s wait list is right now but I’d be surprised if it’s less than a 2 year wait. Worth the money and the wait from what I hear.

Jerryc41
04-15-2019, 01:12 AM
Worth the money and the wait from what I hear.

I think that would depend on the age of the buyer. :D

AustinHing
04-15-2019, 01:50 AM
The question now is what can I sell to raise that amount, plus the cost of the extras? :D

You selling your ukes? Need a list, many folks here would gladly buy from you.

Jerryc41
04-15-2019, 02:02 AM
You selling your ukes? Need a list, many folks here would gladly buy from you.

I don't know about the "legality" of posting both here and in the Marketplace. I have some nice ($$) ones, and some more reasonably priced. I hope to post one or two today. Some possibilities below.

KoAloha Crown Bridge
Martin Iz
Kamaka 100th Anniversary
Kala Waterman (red)
Ohana CK-15BWE black and white ebony concert
KoAloha Opio soprano

AustinHing
04-15-2019, 02:13 AM
I don't know about the "legality" of posting both here and in the Marketplace. I have some nice ($$) ones, and some more reasonably priced. I hope to post one or two today. Some possibilities below.

KoAloha Crown Bridge
Martin Iz
Kamaka 100th Anniversary
Kala Waterman (red)
Ohana CK-15BWE black and white ebony concert
KoAloha Opio soprano

These are really nice. Would gladly take the kamaka if I’m living in states. And my money pot is now for something else.

Good luck with your sales!

SpaceForRent
04-15-2019, 03:08 AM
She handed it to me and walked away. It was definitely a beauty, and it sounded great. ...The base price is $3,600.

I assume she eventually came back for it? LOL

kerneltime
04-15-2019, 03:39 AM
Jake used to work for Rick Turner on their ukes before starting his own line.
Have you tried Compass Rose ukes? From what I hear there is similarity behind the build ( modern guitar like deep sound vs traditional Hawaiian sounding). There is a very nice compass rose on reverb while you wait!
i have never tried Hive but I love my all Koa Compass Rose

Jerryc41
04-15-2019, 03:41 AM
I assume she eventually came back for it? LOL

Not yet. :D

glennerd
04-15-2019, 05:14 AM
She handed it to me and walked away. ... The base price is $3,600.

Yet another reason I can't buy $3600 ukuleles - not only couldn't I walk away, I'd feel nervous even handing it to someone! :rolleyes:

Joyful Uke
04-15-2019, 05:14 AM
There is a Compass Rose and a Hoffman for sale on Ukulele Friend.

Ukulele Friend:
http://ukulelefriend.com/uke-store/

Hoffman tenor:
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/%e3%82%ab%e3%82%b9%e3%82%bf%e3%83%a0%e3%82%a6%e3%8 2%af%e3%83%ac%e3%83%ac-12/

Compass Rose tenor:
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/compass-rose-ukulele/

Edit: Oops, sorry, I posted Hoffman, when you want a Hive. Oh, well, maybe this will fuel some UAS anyway. LOL.
The Ukulele Friend site is definitely one for drooling over very nice ukuleles.

stevejfc
04-15-2019, 05:34 AM
Having owned a Compass Rose, a Hoffman (BP) and a Hive in the past I found the tonal comparison as: Compass Rose...….very guitar like. Hoffman...…...very traditional Hawaii ukulele sound. Hive...…..kind of a cross between a classical guitar and a harp. The build quality of the Hive ……...10+.

Jerryc41
04-15-2019, 06:50 AM
Yet another reason I can't buy $3600 ukuleles - not only couldn't I walk away, I'd feel nervous even handing it to someone! :rolleyes:

Definitely! I doubt I would bring it to a uke fest. I brought an old less-than-perfect Pono soprano - no worries.

Doc_J
04-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Jake used to work for Rick Turner on their ukes before starting his own line.
Have you tried Compass Rose ukes? From what I hear there is similarity behind the build ( modern guitar like deep sound vs traditional Hawaiian sounding). There is a very nice compass rose on reverb while you wait!
i have never tried Hive but I love my all Koa Compass Rose

The CR tenors that Jake built do sound awesome, and different from other CRs. I'm not sure when Jake stopped building for Rick about 2011/2012?
I've had my flamed cherry CR (built by Jake) for 8 years, and it keeps getting even better.:)
https://oi1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/Compass%20Rose/c1df1858-9064-4463-8c82-cdb7719b85a2_zps3cc5f974.jpg

https://youtu.be/xEQk-KEhPc8

hawaii 50
04-15-2019, 08:26 AM
there is a huge difference between a Compass Rose and the Hive ukes...the tone for one is deeper and richer on the Hive...not sure what Jake does differently,maybe thinner tops and back/sides..Jake does not have a cantilevered neck on the Hive ukes

my Compass Rose was built by Jake right before he left for W.Virginia around 2012...his builds are perfect, fit and finish hard to beat and Jake loves his work and it shows...been saying for years now Jake one of the Best...:) I have played every Hive that has come through Hawaii Music Supply and I did play his uke that was built for The Luthiers with a Cause 2 years ago

Kenn2018
04-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Really nice CR Hodge. Sounds, and looks, terrific.

I don't think I've ever seen cherry with such a strong flame before.

I'm going to have to put Hive on my covets list...

Jerryc41
04-15-2019, 08:51 AM
there is a huge difference between a Compass Rose and the Hive ukes...the tone for one is deeper and richer on the Hive...not sure what Jake does differently,maybe thinner tops and back/sides..Jake does not have a cantilevered neck on the Hive ukes

my Compass Rose was built by Jake right before he left for W.Virginia around 2012...his builds are perfect, fit and finish hard to beat and Jake loves his work and it shows...been saying for years now Jake one of the Best...:) I have played every Hive that has come through Hawaii Music Supply and I did play his uke that was built for The Luthiers with a Cause 2 years ago

I know he uses a different support system inside, something beginning with a "K."

kerneltime
04-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Impressive uke set!

AQUATOPAZ
04-15-2019, 06:25 PM
I have an expensive electric bicycle I purchased with insurance money when my motorbike was stolen. I see it as a slow motorbike, combined with public transport it is often better for urban use than a motorbike. However, all people ask me is how much it cost, which is very creepy. They never asked how much the motorbike cost or how much my car costs, both cost a lot more and serve the same purpose. Why do you care so much about how much things cost all the time, once you have paid the bill and take out appropriate insurance?
If you buy a nice thing like a well made ukulele, why wont you just use it and forget how much it costs?
Jake the Hive maker makes the ukes to be played, not displayed. He makes them well enough so they can be repaired if they get damaged. I now know several people who have enjoyed 6 or 7 years of ukulele playing and stuff because I took my nice uke to an event and let them try it out. If you want to impress people enough to get them to take up ukulele, letting them play a Hive is going to be a great start. Its like a hook, their first impression of a uke is playing a Hive, think about it. They know that they can't get one straight away, but it becomes a goal to pursue and it adds so much positive value to their lives. Take a calculated risk, and share your fine ukes with others, the benefits are worth a lot more than the purchase price. Obviously if you have several ukes, its horses for courses when you choose which one to take, but sometimes it is nice to be at a well organised festival with some friends and fine food and a very nice uke to share.

I would never share an expensive uke, nor would I ask for one to be shared with me. If someone plays one, I can hear how it sounds. I would purchase it for my own enjoyment, and the price would only be a factor in that the loss to me if anything happened to it would be mine to bear. I do not think a hook of hearing an expensive uke is necessary to get someone interested. If the music that can be played on a nice one is not enough to entice, then I see no reason why an expensive one would do the trick. If you had taken a mid range Ohana, I am sure those people would have been impressed enough to take up the ukulele. It is like saying one needs to try out a Bentley to be excited to learn to drive a car, though I am sure those who drive Bentleys feel great when others gawk at their nice car and wish they had one. Shimabukuro on a low end uke is way more inspirational than a uke in the thousands to try.

kerneltime
04-15-2019, 06:57 PM
You can learn on any uke that stays in tune.. the likelihood that you will put in more time can increase if you love the sound of the uke.. there is always an unpleasantness when starting to go through the grind of learning new skills, owning a uke you have an emotional attachment to will increase the joy..
Also I like what is said here

https://youtu.be/x9plCbLa8sA

mnb128
04-16-2019, 08:25 AM
You can learn on any uke that stays in tune.. the likelihood that you will put in more time can increase if you love the sound of the uke.. there is always an unpleasantness when starting to go through the grind of learning new skills, owning a uke you have an emotional attachment to will increase the joy..
Also I like what is said here

https://youtu.be/x9plCbLa8sA

I agree with this completely. There’s something about owning something that’s better than I am that makes me want to work at it, and when it comes down to it, most people can afford an expensive custom if they just plan for it.

A Hive, for example, is $3,600, very reasonable for a top tier custom. There are no extras needed. The $3,600 price point will get you one of the best sounding and smoothest playing ukes on the planet. The tough part is the $1,000 deposit. Once you’ve got that taken care of, though, it’s $100 a month set aside for 26 months, which is around his current wait time. $100 a month isn’t easy for everyone but doable for most if you’re willing to budget.

Plus, you know there are only 26...15...7...2 months left before it arrives, which should push you even harder to improve your playing, so you can enjoy your new masterpiece to the fullest.

All that said, you don’t need to spend $3,600 to get that feeling. Just using Hive as an example due to the title of the thread.

That’s just my 2 cents.

One last thing for the OP, sell whatever you need to. It’ll be worth it.

Jerryc41
04-16-2019, 08:59 AM
The tough part is the $1,000 deposit.

The tough part would be making sure I stay alive for two years. I have Amazon Prime because I don't like to wait. :D

hawaii 50
04-16-2019, 09:04 AM
The tough part would be making sure I stay alive for two years. I have Amazon Prime because I don't like to wait. :D

have you checked with Jake he usually sends about 4 ukes to Andrew at HMS each year

Jerryc41
04-16-2019, 10:20 AM
have you checked with Jake he usually sends about 4 ukes to Andrew at HMS each year

I'm in de-acquiring mode right now., but thanks for the suggestion. I used to look at all the selling sites every day. Now I don't. Unfortunately, two people mentioned two particular ukes here, and I felt compelled to buy them. No sales resistance!

Nickie
04-16-2019, 04:25 PM
I was at a uke fest yesterday, and someone pointed out a nice-looking uke. I tracked down the owner during a break, and she said it was a Hive. She handed it to me and walked away. It was definitely a beauty, and it sounded great. Getting back to my seat, I used Google to learn that the builder takes a $1,000 deposit, and you wait while be builds it. The base price is $3,600. The one I played was the Hornet.

https://www.hiveukuleles.com/models

Maybe you can keep your ukes and sell your truck....

Ukulele Eddie
04-16-2019, 04:41 PM
I've owned three Hive Hornets, including the one below that I still own (and will never sell) which was a special treat for myself after enduring three years of underemployment.

As I have said in many posts, for me there is a very small handful of luthiers who consistently deliver outstanding results across tone, playability, aesthetics and build execution. For me, Jake is in this special elite group.

https://live.staticflickr.com/5524/31384734531_dafe35a6cb_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PPmY9B)

https://live.staticflickr.com/5806/31306144725_6c01d8bca0_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PGqb8X)

You cannot go wrong with a Hive. Come join the Bee Hive!!!

Nickie
04-16-2019, 04:53 PM
Wow, Eddie, that's some serious eye candy!

I want the best uke I can afford. I believe I deserve it. I may stretch my budget, give up something else, but I'd never go in debt for an ukulele.

hollisdwyer
04-16-2019, 08:02 PM
There is no doubt that it is a great leap of faith to commit to a $3000+ Uke, not to mention the required patience for delayed gratification, but it is always worth it.

When people notice the Ukes I play and come over to talk about them, most are shocked when I tell them the cost. Then I let them play the instrument and you can see the epiphany on their faces when they realise just what it means, and what it costs to own a fine musical instrument. Oddly some people get angry at me for owning an expensive ukulele (I have never understood why). I wonder if they would feel that way if I had a fine violin or guitar?

I always advise people to purchase the best instrument that they can afford which might mean putting off a purchase so they can save to reach that goal.

Jerryc41
04-17-2019, 03:31 AM
Maybe you can keep your ukes and sell your truck....

It's funny how people think that's a truck. It a 2009 Nissan Cube. I replaced it with a 2015 Honda Fit.

kerneltime
04-17-2019, 03:38 AM
Hehehehe, yeah assumptions are dangerous and for ukes we cannot know unless we try ;-)

It's funny how people think that's a truck. It a 2009 Nissan Cube. I replaced it with a 2015 Honda Fit.

Kenn2018
04-17-2019, 07:30 PM
I found that when I first started playing the thought of paying more than $350 for a ukulele was abhorrent. I couldn't imagine paying more.

Then it was $500. Because I tried a nice Pono.
Then it was $1000. $2000.
I will have to become a MUCH better player to justify $3000+. But then, I couldn't justify the other purchases either. :confused:

The higher priced ukuleles are, for me, easier to play, and have a more nuanced sound. I can't take full advantage of that capability. But give me a year...

DownUpDave
04-17-2019, 11:20 PM
I found that when I first started playing the thought of paying more than $350 for a ukulele was abhorrent. I couldn't imagine paying more.

Then it was $500. Because I tried a nice Pono.
Then it was $1000. $2000.
I will have to become a MUCH better player to justify $3000+. But then, I couldn't justify the other purchases either. :confused:

The higher priced ukuleles are, for me, easier to play, and have a more nuanced sound. I can't take full advantage of that capability. But give me a year...

I agree with you Ken as I have gone up the incremental price scale as well. Your comfort level adapts.

I don't believe anyone has to justify, deserve or earn the right with a certain skill level to own an expensive uke. Lots of people own Porsche, Corvettes, Ferraris etc. that can't take advantage of those cars capabilities. If you can afford it, if it gives you joy and if it causes you to play more often then it is a wise purchase. Do you need an expensive instrument to make music, no Do you need a Porsche to drive to work no. But both are a whole lotta fun to operate.

Until someone holds and plays an upper level instrument (might be anything over $1000) they don't get it. Drink $7.00 wine all the time you think it is good. Drink $20 wine then you understand.

AustinHing
04-18-2019, 12:37 AM
UAS Management Software is a technique that helps ukulele players to be more effective, more efficient, and more capable of adopting ukuleles in their UAS according to the ever-changing ukulele environment.

Corrected for u!

Jerryc41
04-18-2019, 01:13 AM
I agree with you Ken as I have gone up the incremental price scale as well. Your comfort level adapts.

I don't believe anyone has to justify, deserve or earn the right with a certain skill level to own an expensive uke. Lots of people own Porsche, Corvettes, Ferraris etc. that can't take advantage of those cars capabilities. If you can afford it, if it gives you joy and if it causes you to play more often then it is a wise purchase. Do you need an expensive instrument to make music, no Do you need a Porsche to drive to work no. But both are a whole lotta fun to operate.

Until someone holds and plays an upper level instrument (might be anything over $1000) they don't get it. Drink $7.00 wine all the time you think it is good. Drink $20 wine then you understand.

I agree 100%. I've heard so many people say they won't buy a good uke because they don't play well enough. If I thought that way, I still have just one uke - the $20 no-name soprano I bought in Hawaii years ago.

Kenn2018
04-18-2019, 02:33 AM
It gives something to aspire to as well: Make it sing like we know it can.

That being said. I still play my Ohana & Pono tenors quite frequently. I can have as much fun with them, sometimes more, as I do with my Kinnard or Kanile'a.

And I know some players that can make their Kala sing like I will never get my Kamaka to.

DownUpDave
04-18-2019, 04:25 AM
It gives something to aspire to as well: Make it sing like we know it can.

That being said. I still play my Ohana & Pono tenors quite frequently. I can have as much fun with them, sometimes more, as I do with my Kinnard or Kanile'a.

And I know some players that can make their Kala sing like I will never get my Kamaka to.

So true Ken. I know some that can make their "Sponge Bob Square Pants" sing better then I will ever get my LfdM to as well:p