I get a crash course in re-stringing...yay.

dingopop

Reaction score
So I got my cheap lil' starter Hua Wind tenor on Monday and played it for awhile both Monday night and last night. Today when I got home from work, it accidentally fell over and somehow, one of the strings it came with broke. Fun.

From what I looked at online, it seems like it's just better to restring the whole thing than one at a time, so I bought some highly-rated Aquila strings. (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TQZMW9M/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Here, if you're interested.)

Looks like I get to have a crash course in how to re-string when the Amazon package arrives on Friday. There seem to be a good amount of Youtube vids and if all else fails, there's a local uke shop I can take it to for help. Just thought y'all could commiserate with a newbie!

It’s pretty straightforward, and videos are definitely the way to go if you’re a visual person.

After your first restring, it’ll become easier and easier.

My only two pieces of advice: leave enough string after the knot on the bridge end so it doesn’t slip through the knot, and put a piece of paper over the soundboard where the strings may scrape the finish as you’re working.

Happy strumming!

Thanks! I just finished up restringing and it was pretty easy. Now the fun part of stretching and retuning can continue.

Good luck. I can appreciate your challenge. We just got a new ukulele for my grandson and he's unhappy with the strings the ukulele came with. We're going to take it to our lesson and ask the teacher's help.
As for your dilemma, perhaps you could buy strings at the local store and I'm guessing they'd be happy to restring it for you :)

After a few hours of playing last night, I must say...

OH MY GOD.

These strings are 100x better than the ones the uke came with. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the difference in sound, but the quality is just way above the stock strings. It's...clearer, I guess? A brighter tone for sure, and it's easier to hear all four strings when strumming. The strings themselves also stay in tune much longer despite being new. $10 is all it took to make me go "eh" about this cheap uke to "Holy crap I want to play this every day!"

After a few hours of playing last night, I must say...

OH MY GOD.

These strings are 100x better than the ones the uke came with. I'm not sure exactly how to describe the difference in sound, but the quality is just way above the stock strings. It's...clearer, I guess? A brighter tone for sure, and it's easier to hear all four strings when strumming. The strings themselves also stay in tune much longer despite being new. $10 is all it took to make me go "eh" about this cheap uke to "Holy crap I want to play this every day!"

Congrats on the restringing. Matching different string types/brands to an ukulele can be a pasttime/compulsion unto itself.

Top Bottom