Your most unique or unusual wood use?

YogiTom

Reaction score
Curious to hear from the luthiers on here about the more unusual woods that get used in your shop, be it for tops, backs, sides, necks, headstock, wood inlay, bracing, binding, etc?

I got on this train of thought looking at reclaimed and urban forestry slabs of woods from the islands, thinking to myself "that's pretty...would it make a good soundboard, though?"

The more unusual or unlikely the wood, the better.

I'm not very adventurous with my choices of timber, but I did once make a bridge out of a piece of box wood I found in a hedgerow. It was for an instrument with an unsophisticated, artisan appearance, so I left the bark attached to one side.

It looked - erm - different.

John Colter

I did build a banjo from B & Q balustrade hardwood they were selling off at £12 a pack. I never found out what wood it was but it made a nice mellow sounding old time banjo.
P1000591.jpg

Not terribly exotic, but I did get a wild looking piece of koa that had come from an old factory they were tearing down in Honolulu. I mostly remember how hard it was. Like iron. Very hard to work with but gave a very percussive and lovely sound.

koa2.jpg koa1.jpg koa3.jpg koa5.jpg

In the coming weeks, you may hear of a unique wood i'll be using for a very special project.
More to come :)

in the meantime, here is some Sabicu.

IMG_9162.jpg

Has anyone used lychee or avocado woods?

Also, slight diversion from my original question, but is there a reason more common trees to northern latitudes like pine, birch and oak aren’t typically used as tonewoods?

Last edited:
Has anyone used lychee or avocado woods?

Also, slight diversion from my original question, but is there a reason more common trees to northern latitudes like pine, birch and oak aren’t typically used as tonewoods?

No reason other than tradition. Wood is wood.

I'm very fond of Montery Cypress for top wood. A common, I believe native tree that grows along the US mainland west coast. Wonderful clear tone every bit as good as the best spruces. Golden in color with rich brown streaks. For some reason they plant it around older graveyards.

Top Bottom