Horns of a Dilemma Kala KA-ATP-CTG or Kala KA-SSTU-T

I think the Kala KA-ATP-CTG is a wonderful uke. Sounds and plays great.
Jan D

It’s what you prefer. Spruce and cedar sounds distinctly different. If you like a more uke-like sound, go for cedar. Else go for a spruce which is guitarish. But a hog or koa is the real uke sound, to me.

It’s what you prefer. Spruce and cedar sounds distinctly different. If you like a more uke-like sound, go for cedar. Else go for a spruce which is guitarish. But a hog or koa is the real uke sound, to me.

I think you sum it up perfectly. I have guitars so I don't want it to sound too guitarish but I find mahogany to sound a bit too dead. Cedar might be the middle ground I'm looking for.

As a general rule, I find Spruce to be a little brighter and louder. Cedar to be warmer and doesn't project quite as much.

I think you sum it up perfectly. I have guitars so I don't want it to sound too guitarish but I find mahogany to sound a bit too dead. Cedar might be the middle ground I'm looking for.

I think you got your answer right there. Hope to see a NUD very soon.

As a general rule, I find Spruce to be a little brighter and louder. Cedar to be warmer and doesn't project quite as much.

Not to hijack the thread, but I want warmer and less projection, but I am allergic to cedar. What would be a good alternative?

Ohana_ukuleles_all_solid_sinker_redwood_and_rosewood_tenor_front_TK-42.jpg

Well, I guess this lovely tenor ohana tk-42 solid sinker redwood with rosewood back and sides is right up your alley. Not exactly cheap but you could look for an used 1.

Sorry to OP for derailing the thread.

Too steep for me right now, but beautiful!!

We have smaller versions of the two ukuleles. We have the Kala Soprano traveling ukulele, Kala KA-SSTU-S and the concert Kala KA-ACP-CTG.

They're both great but serve different purposes. What we like about the Soprano is we can easily take it anywhere and it's fun to play. The cedar top is a real joy to play.

Do a coin toss and if you feel regret over there coins choice you'll know to choose the other. Good luck.
K

This is all second hand information but perhaps Redwood could be the alternative. Please see the link for details:
https://mcphersonguitars.com/custom-shop/wood-options/

HTH, but a luthier’s style play a huge part in influencing too.

I have seen several redwood topped ukuleles over the past year at all price points. Most from the big producers. Redwood sinker wood seems to be pretty popular lately.

Redwood is said to be about halfway between Spruce and Cedar as far as sound is concerned. Not as bright as spruce, not as warm as cedar.

Top Bottom