Kanile’a has a longer neck...

Kibes37

Reaction score
Than Koaloha. I was shocked I couldn’t find more info in this forum on this. I searched heavy, but still may have missed something. I feel like this is huge in the many threads about the differences of the two.

So, I got and Koaloha KCO-10 yesterday. I instantly noticed my Kanile’a had more frets. 17-20. Didn’t think too much of it. It is my first experience with any KoAloha in person. It’s a great little uke, but I realized while playing I had to position it so the Bout was further from right hip so it felt like the neck extended a bit more. This sent me into research mode after I got done playing. I realized all the concert Kanile’a models had more frets and thus a longer neck than KoAlohas. Also, a wider body, but that’s been touched on.

This isn’t me knocking KoAloha in any way. After one day the little Uke is growing on me. Makes it more portable too. Overall though I know I like the longer Kanile’a neck for sure!

With all this talk about scale length and width with varying sizes and super scale models this makes a HUGE difference in preference between the two for me. It’s a little more than half an inch.

Maybe nobody noticed or even cares, but I can feel it for sure and that definitely makes me prefer Kanile’a at this point in my young Uke journey. Still, I am very interested in getting a high end Koaloha in the future as I’m sure my Opio will continue to grow on me.

I didn’t look into Soprano or Tenor as I’m a Concert only player and I don’t care. However, I struggled with if Concert was for me off the bat and came to the conclusion through my love for my K-2, that (Tried Tenor and will get a soprano eventually) concert was perfect. I didn’t realize even within the Concert size, neck length could be interesting.

Sorry if this is meaningless to most.

Last edited:
I could go on and on, and probably have before in some other thread, but I had a chance to test KoAloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a and Martin at the same store. At the time, I had a Martin C1K that sounded, and was probably the best looking C1K ever. ;-D But I chose the Kanile'a just because of the fit and finish and am a proud owner of a K-2 CP. :shaka:

pinswood.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome reply. I was already thinking the Opio would be my strumming singing Uke mostly. I posted this for the simple reason, with all the back and forth between which people prefer this was not mentioned much if really at all. Also, like I said, when your a bigger guy on the cusp of maybe thinking you need a tenor but prefer concert for whatever reason, the more room the better while maintaining the concert feel IMO. Especially if you are about to drop some serious coin. I try to study as many angles as possible before a purchase. I hear you, though.

There are several different things that could be referred to as a "longer neck" and I am not quite sure which you mean:

1. A longer scale length, like 16" or 17" on a concert (as in long neck concert).

2. The placement of the neck joint: on many sopranos or concerts, the neck is joining the body at the 12th fret, whereas it is on the 14" fret on a Kanilea, and on the 13" fret on a KoAloha concert.

3. The total number of frets: Kanilea concert has 20 frets and KoAloha has 17 frets total, while their soprano models have only 12 frets, as do many traditional sopranos.

To me, a "longer neck" would consist of number 1 or 2, or a combination of the two. The third point alone doesn't make the neck per se longer, it just means that it has more frets.

I'm pretty sure the differences between KoAloha and Kanilea necks/fretboards have been discussed many times here on UU: Basically, Kanilea has more frets to the body and more frets total in their concert size (it also has a wider fretboard and a flatter neck profile). I'm not sure if you're saying that it also has a slightly longer scale?

Neck joint at 12th fret works best for me. Maybe cos I’m mainly a soprano dude. My concert joins at 12th too. I need more focusing on the fretboard when playing ukes with other fret number neck joints.
Don’t think I’m able to get better or versatile but I’m okay with being a 12th fret neck type.

There are several different things that could be referred to as a "longer neck" and I am not quite sure which you mean:

1. A longer scale length, like 16" or 17" on a concert (as in long neck concert).

2. The placement of the neck joint: on many sopranos or concerts, the neck is joining the body at the 12th fret, whereas it is on the 14" fret on a Kanilea, and on the 13" fret on a KoAloha concert.

3. The total number of frets: Kanilea concert has 20 frets and KoAloha has 17 frets total, while their soprano models have only 12 frets, as do many traditional sopranos.

To me, a "longer neck" would consist of number 1 or 2, or a combination of the two. The third point alone doesn't make the neck per se longer, it just means that it has more frets.

I'm pretty sure the differences between KoAloha and Kanilea necks/fretboards have been discussed many times here on UU: Basically, Kanilea has more frets to the body and more frets total in their concert size (it also has a wider fretboard and a flatter neck profile). I'm not sure if you're saying that it also has a slightly longer scale?

Sorry if I was not clear. Over a half inch longer scale. I know all the other differences have been discussed. Again, sorry if this is old news. I’m just surprised how much smaller the KoAloha feels. By the way, I dug into the KCO-10 tonight and it’s really awesome. The large KoAloha following makes sense.

Last edited:
Sorry if I was not clear. Over a half inch longer scale. I know all the other differences have been discussed.

Like 15.5"? Perhaps you can provide us with the exact measurements of both instruments?

According to Kanileas web page, they have a 15 inch scale.
Since I dont play that far up the neck, I like a joint at 12th fret - makes the Ukulele look slightly more ukulele like, small and portable. But it is not a big difference.

I like my 'long necks', but mine are of the traditional scales - it would appear that you are talking of an in between scale length, rather than a standard, so, yes, it would feel different, but you'll soon get used to it, if it is within your comfort zone. :D

Speaking of necks, do you know one problem with a giraffe's neck?

It's too short. Getting down to ground level to eat or drink is tough for a giraffe. They have to splay their front legs to get down low enough. Stupid short neck! :)

Sorry if I was not clear. Over a half inch longer scale. I know all the other differences have been discussed. Again, sorry if this is old news. I’m just surprised how much smaller the KoAloha feels. By the way, I dug into the KCO-10 tonight and it’s really awesome. The large KoAloha following makes sense.
Don’t apologize. I know exactly what you’re talking about. The feel is quite different between the two brands as well as the sound. I think the “make it work for you” reply is great advice. I’m bigger also and I find the Kaniléa a bit more comfortable to play. But I love both my children. ;)

Last edited:
I recently picked up a 2018 Kanile'a K-1C from HMS, with the older bracing, and the scale is 15 1/2". My other concerts seem to be 15". So, I have a "longer" one as well. In hand, the instrument feels noticeably bigger; maybe, the large Kanile'a body combined with the longer scale. Still not that much different than other concerts to play. A few chords and the fret spacing dials in.

Speaking of necks, do you know one problem with a giraffe's neck?

It's too short. Getting down to ground level to eat or drink is tough for a giraffe. They have to splay their front legs

to get down low enough. Stupid short neck! :)

This definitely made me chuckle. Thanks for all the input. I already love both brands.

I recently picked up a 2018 Kanile'a K-1C from HMS, with the older bracing, and the scale is 15 1/2". My other concerts seem to be 15". So, I have a "longer" one as well. In hand, the instrument feels noticeably bigger; maybe, the large Kanile'a body combined with the longer scale. Still not that much different than other concerts to play. A few chords and the fret spacing dials in.

Peculiar. According to Kanileas webpage, their concert models are 15 inch.
And the Thomann webshop lists them as 15 inch.

Are your other concerts also Kanileas?

If they have a 15.5 inch model, it will make me more prone to buying one.

It might be a custom order. Sometimes HMS orders popular variations on Kanile'a models for store stock (pickup, radius fingerboard, etc).

Peculiar. According to Kanileas webpage, their concert models are 15 inch.
And the Thomann webshop lists them as 15 inch.

Are your other concerts also Kanileas?

If they have a 15.5 inch model, it will make me more prone to buying one.

Nope. This is my only Kanile'a concert and I did not special order it. It just came this way :) I have taken a photo.

Attachments

• 0419191743a_resized.jpg
    0419191743a_resized.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Top Bottom