Which Sopranooo?!?!

DanaC

Reaction score
Alright! So, this is somewhat similar to my new uke help thread, but slightly different, haha. Pretty much, I want to buy a new soprano, and I've narrowed it down to a few different ukes all in the same price range, relatively anyway.

What I want to know is, which is the best bang for the buck? I have a fluke, and I want something that has a different sound, which is why I'm getting a soprano. Here's what it's come down to:

Ohana Sopranino
Mainland mahogony soprano
Kala acacia soprano
KoAlana Koaloha soprano

This is more geared to people who might have more than one on this list. That would probably be the most help.

What do yallz think?!

I've got a ohana sopranino and love it tons. It has amazing tone and volume for such a tiny little guy. For a solid mahogany uke with great construction, its quite a deal.

I've heard some bad things about the KoAlana ukes, so I would avoid those (unless they step up the quality on their new line..)

Look seriously at the Mainland. I have a tenor and it's a big, bold sound.

If I remember correctly from a past post on here, Koaloaha was previously having some quality control issues with the factory that had been making the Koalanas which is why they werent' available for a while.

They have found a new factory to make them and are planning to roll the line back out sometime soon. So I'd be open to seeing how those work out before you write them off.

Ohana SK35G - look no further.

I could be a little biased, it's my favourite uke.

Ukantor.

Out of your choices, go with the Kala acacia. The acacia wood is very similar to koa, and it's solid, so it'll give off a great sound.

After that, the KoAlana. IIRC, the KoAlana is made of sapele. I don't know much about sapele, so I wouldn't know what it sounds like.

How does one obtain a KoAlana? Ive never seen one listed anywhere... of course I never bothered to ask either... who carries these?

If I could find one, I'd go for the KoALana... I have a hunch the company will stand behind the product. So really its not that much of a gamble, yet the potential payoff could be tremendous... in awesomeness.

I've ordered a Mainland mahogony soprano this weekend. I picked this one out of all the other ukes because I've only heared good things about the Mainland Ukes, next to that UU.com also believes in them and they look awesome!

Anyways, gl with your pick, must be hard since they all say good things about the ukes u've listed :)

How does one obtain a KoAlana? Ive never seen one listed anywhere... of course I never bothered to ask either... who carries these?

If I could find one, I'd go for the KoALana... I have a hunch the company will stand behind the product. So really its not that much of a gamble, yet the potential payoff could be tremendous... in awesomeness.
From the KoAloha site; KoAlana . . .

I have a KoAlana and it seems to be a good uke. It is probably better than my playing ability but I have fun with it. Yes they are hard to come by, I got mine off of ebay back in January from a person in Guam. It ppeared to be to be in brand new condtion. It's the only one that I have come across other than the pictures on the KoAloha site. The constrution and finsh seem fine for being an import, the only thing that I had to do other than change the strings was polish the frets they had some kind of strange coating on them and I must say it didn't come off to easy. Hope this helps. :cool:

Jack

I would go with a mookulele for your apparent knack of o's :rofl:

Top Bottom