KoAloha Opio Concert

Kibes37

Reaction score
First of all, shout out to Uke Den, if he ever posts something to sell, jump on it. The Uke is flawless and he packed like it had to make a stop in a New Mexico Nuclear testing bullseye.

Now to the matter at hand. The KoAloha Opio Acacia Concert. Wow. Earlier I posted it felt small compared to my Kanile’a. It still does, but I’m adapting. I found out I am a horrible judge of Uke talent in the first few hours. I was so caught in a Kanile’a fanboy daze I couldn’t see the light.. Or maybe hear the truth... Which is KoAloha... The damn thing shimmers and resonates so long my dog’s ears take over. Man, this thing is legit and it’s their cost effective model.

I jumped from an entry level Kala to a Premium Kaniléa. I figured I could never take a monetary Uke step back and be satisfied. However, too many good things were said about the Opio series and I figured I would try it to tide me over while I waited for a Clara. Plus I had a trip planned and I needed a quick travel option. No idea what I was getting. This guy is amazing. I can’t put it down. The simplicity has its own allure.

I don’t want to put anyone down who considers an Opio an expensive Uke. In the wide range of uke options this thing is extremely cheap for its true value. This Opio series is really all you need. Assuming Soprano and Tenor models are as good. Which I’m positive they are or better.

Yes Ukes get better, but I flat out guarantee there is no better value for the money in the Uke universe.

So good, they can take their time with my Clara.

Last edited:
My purchase of a KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert ended my UAS, it is my most expensive uke, I was dreading spending that much on a uke, but the sound from it............:music:

Kibes37.......glad you saw the light. It is hard not to compare ukes but high quality instruments always have their own virtues and it takes a while to discover them. Two things I always do with a new stringed instrument, used ones included. Give it at least one week to get acclimatized to the new enviroment and play the heck out of it exclusively for one to two weeks.

I owned a Koaloha Opio concert and it was an amazing instrument, punching way above its price tag. I only sold it because I am a tenor guy and prefer a radiused fret board. Enjoy your new edition and congratulations.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with both Kibes 37 and Croaky Keith. I ordered a Opio Soprano Longneck about two years back, and I was amazed. Certainly one of the best sounding Soprano Longnecks I played (and - this beiing my favourite size - I played a whole bunch of them!). Only reason I changed it for the Concert model: Its sound had remarkable similarities with an other Longneck from a different company (same size, but different wood). Of course, the two didn‘t sound completely the same, but the sound differences didn‘t justify the 500+ Euro price (at that time). So I changed it for the Concert version, and still think it‘s fantastic. I thiink it competes with much higher prized ukes in sound and playablitly.

Haven‘t tried the spruce top verson yet, which, if I‘m not mistaken, they don‘t build anymore. But I might be wrong about this.

Congrats on the new acquisition. Koaloha does a remarkable job of consistency in its production. So a majority of them have that "Koaloha sound" and in trying a few, they might sound similar enough to pick on looks instead of sound. This consistency appears to carry down to their Opio line which has retained the "K sound". Not sure if other well known companies have this same consistency.

Glad you love the new uke. I cannot wait to hear about your Clara experience.

I'm starting to collect a wide range of KoAloha products, and have been waiting for that KoAlana line for a year (apparently the entire line was lost in a factory fire).

I have a 2004 KoAloha Concert and a 2016 KoAloha Opio Concert. There are some differences between them, but for all intents and purposes, they are the same build with the exception of Koa vs. Acacia--and 12 years of aging. I love my Opios (I have two, including a Sapele Opio Tenor and if I ever see a Sapele Opio Concert that is affordable, I'm buying it), but there is something to be said for the tone quality of Koa over other Acacia.

Is it a difference worth $500 (Opio vs. Koa)? I'm not sure. But it is there. But if we had no other manufacturers/models, and the only instrument that was available was the Opio line...we'd all still be very fortunate.

On another note altogether, our church challenged members to do the Bible-in-a-year reading, and there are websites (and Bibles) that chop up the Bible into daily reading segments for each day. No--I'm not getting religious with the post...but it is Easter and I'm just making an observation. I've never noticed the use of acacia as I have this time through my readings...it was a key wood for the Israelites, used in their worship a number of ways. I thought that was pretty cool.

Another KoAloha fan here. My 2006 Koa concert was my first "really good" ukulele, and it is still first in my heart. I recently pimped it out with Gotoh UPT tuners & a MiSi pick-up. Now I have it's little brother. A Cedar & Koa Special Issue longneck soprano. UPT tuners are on the way for that one as well. There's just something about the feel & sound of KoAloha that "resonates" with me. I adore my Moon Bird, but my KoAloha will always be my true love.

Last edited:
My sapele Opio soprano is my most expensive uke, too. I haven't found anything above it in price that I want.

Just got a Koaloha Opio Spruce top Tenor, I debated between it and a Koaloha tenor. I have no regrets - I love it! My only other uke is a Koaloha koa concert. I think my UAS is cured.

Congratulations Kibes, good to hear that you like your new Opio so much. I agree that they are one of the best values in the $350-1000 USD price range, very close to a "real" KoAloha. Some of the Acacia models I've seen have even nicer figures in the wood than many of the Koa versions. My one criticism would be that their newer semi-gloss finish is rather unflattering, somewhat dull and with some bubbles or open pores (at least mine). I wish they'd buff it up to a mirror-flat high-gloss finish, or go back to the smooth satin finish they were using on their earlier Sapele models. Also, from the two samples I have owned, I would say the Sapele version has a fuller, clearer, more refined tone.

I’m feeling UAS tapping me on the shoulder... “Hey maybe you NEED a Koa KoAloha to really appreciate the brand...” Annoying :)

Congratulations Kibes, good to hear that you like your new Opio so much. I agree that they are one of the best values in the $350-1000 USD price range, very close to a "real" KoAloha. Some of the Acacia models I've seen have even nicer figures in the wood than many of the Koa versions. My one criticism would be that their newer semi-gloss finish is rather unflattering, somewhat dull and with some bubbles or open pores (at least mine). I wish they'd buff it up to a mirror-flat high-gloss finish, or go back to the smooth satin finish they were using on their earlier Sapele models. Also, from the two samples I have owned, I would say the Sapele version has a fuller, clearer, more refined tone.

I bought an Opio Spruce top/acacia tenor after reading a great review by Baz. I did not like it. It sounded pretty good, BUT i couldn't get over the super light semi gloss finish on the spruce top. The open pores made it look like a poorly applied finish, and the grain of the spruce looked like cracks with the holes in the varnish accentuating the effect. It just plain looked bad.

I asked some other players and they had the same reaction. (One is a fine wood furniture maker.) Even my wife thought it didn't look right. And she doesn't play.

I sent it back and bought my excellent Pono Rosewood/Spruce cutaway tenor.

Funny, I like the finish with pores and all. I definitely take care of it, but it’s nice not to have to baby it. The thing I don’t like physically is the lip where the back piece glues to the sides. There is a literal rough lip all the way around. I forget about it quickly, but I think that’s kinda bush league.

Huh. My wife and I own three Opio's between us, and I can't recall even noticing the finish or any fit issues. I'll take a critical look at all three when I get home later.

I would very much like to know if your Opios are smooth where bindings go. The front binding area is smooth. Back nope. Thanks

*I realize there are no bindings, best way I could describe the location.

Last edited:
I would very much like to know if your Opios are smooth where bindings go. The front binding area is smooth. Back nope. Thanks

*I realize there are no bindings, best way I could describe the location.

The joint at the butt between the side pieces, is raising very slightly. It's minor, just visual, and is only an annoyance if I obsess about it. I've kind of been pondering about whether it can be repaired, but will probably just let it be.

For me, the main difference between the Opio and Hawaiian built KoAlohas is the difference of owning a KoAloha and not owning one. The Opio was already a bit more expensive than I would normally spend on a ukulele, so the Hawaiian built ones wouldn't even be on my shopping list.

Enjoy it, they're awesome! :shaka:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That’s bs if all the Opios are like this. I still really like mine, but that rubs me the wrong way a bit.

Thanks for the reply. That’s bs if all the Opios are like this. I still really like mine, but that rubs me the wrong way a bit.

Yeah, I hear you there. I wish they could have built it with a one piece side or a better joint on the butt.

So is that the same joint you're referring to, or is your issue between the top piece and the sides? I hear they do have an excellent warranty and will honour it, but I don't know whether it matters if you're not the original owner.

Top Bottom