Anyone know what this symbol means?

JJFN

Reaction score
This is the first I've seen this symbol, I searched the 'net and can't find it's meaning.

<> There is no gap between the symbols, but I can't duplicate that figure.

I am assuming that you have seen this symbol on a Tab sheet.

Usually between the <> there is a fret number which represents a harmonic note that is to be played, if there is no number then play a harmonic that fits in with the note prior or the backing chord, you could also play a grace note.

I am assuming that you have seen this symbol on a Tab sheet.

Usually between the <> there is a fret number which represents a harmonic note that is to be played, if there is no number then play a harmonic that fits in with the note prior or the backing chord, you could also play a grace note.

Thank You Col 50, but the symbol does not have any space to insert a number. It is like a flattened diamond.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia:

music symbol.png

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Maybe post a link to where you are seeing it will help identify its meaning.

Here is the symbol in question (I hope)

A7<>A13

However, in the chords sheet the arrows are connected, there is the A7 chord, the mysterious symbol, and the A13 chord. It is similar to a diamond figure on it's side. Meaning it is one figure not two. Thank you everyone for your help.

That's a puzzler, and clearly non-standard. Maybe a whole-step bend of the fifth of the chord (from E to F#), changing the A7 into A13?

Am7 Cm6 G6 A7<>A13
It must have been Moon-glow. Way up in the blue.

This is the chord sheet for these few bars.

Posting this pushes the chord together. Should read as follows: Am7 It must have been Cm6 Moon-glow. G6 Way up in the A7<>A13 blue.

Last edited:
I assume no one believes what I found in the Wikipedia list of music notation symbols, made sense to me, do a crescendo up and down.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

The symbol is a wonderful example of creativity and ambiguity. I am sure the writer knew what it meant, but you can ignore that and do what you will with it.
I found a video with Dianne Krall singing the tune. Does the chord progression have a space with no chord where the symbol is shown, in Dianne's version? I suggest finding some versions of the tune and listening and you will work out how to play it.

I played this as follows on the word blue, I strum the A7 and hammer onto the Fb of the A13 and it's really sweet. Learn something new everyday.

Am7 Cm6 G6 A7<>A13
It must have been Moon-glow. Way up in the blue.

This is the chord sheet for these few bars.

Posting this pushes the chord together. Should read as follows: Am7 It must have been Cm6 Moon-glow. G6 Way up in the A7<>A13 blue.

Ah . . . in context it seems to mean "Play A7, but if you feel ambitious, play A13" . . . they're both in the "Dominant chord" family.

I'd play G6 as o2o2 and A13 as o12o. It's incomplete, but in context your brain will fill in the blanks as "Cool variation on A7"

Also, "G6" should probably be "Em7" . . they're "enharmonic"...share the same pitches and are played the same way, but in-context Em7 makes more sense

The symbol is a wonderful example of creativity and ambiguity. I am sure the writer knew what it meant, but you can ignore that and do what you will with it.
I found a video with Dianne Krall singing the tune. Does the chord progression have a space with no chord where the symbol is shown, in Dianne's version? I suggest finding some versions of the tune and listening and you will work out how to play it.

There is merit in this. There are many times I will play an “incomplete” chord because of the effect it brings to the particular piece. I admittedly haven’t taken the time to determine exactly what chord I’m playing, but when I find the right variation there is that ah-ha moment. I view tab as a guide that needs a personal touch.

John

Yeah, the only reference I found was for drummers and it indicated a bell stroke. So if you see a diamond it means You need more COWBELL!!! :nana:

Now we're going to see people with CAS, cowbell acquisition syndrome.

Hey now, Cow bells collecting is a serious thing. Just look at this gorgeous piece.
4d5e7df4-42a1-4a40-bd5e-34797b9cf44b.jpg

... Posting this pushes the chord together. Should read as follows: Am7 It must have been Cm6 Moon-glow. G6 Way up in the A7<>A13 blue.

I played this as follows on the word blue, I strum the A7 and hammer onto the Fb of the A13 and it's really sweet. Learn something new everyday.

I think you’re spot on with “what to do”. Play A7 immediately followed by A13 between “the” and “blue”.

Happy strumming! (And thanks for the idea for a new song to learn!)

YogiTom, I think you will enjoy working on this old chestnut. Happy strumming to you,

Top Bottom