Musician's Gear hardshell case sale, multiple sizes $29

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukeinfused

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
For the community:
Guitar Center has hardshell soprano, concert, and tenor cases on sale right now for $29 plus free shipping:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Tenor-Ukulele-Case.gc

They're a bit plain but much better IMHO than the generic black cases on Ebay... they don't have that stickiness, esp in the larger sizes...

This is a great find!

One of my friends is looking to upgrade from a gig bag to a case, and I will definitely pass this on to them.

Thanks for posting this info :)

And don't forget about Glarry, same price with red stitching. I have a couple of them.
https://smile.amazon.com/Pattern-Le...concert+case&qid=1556012450&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Jerry,
Looks like the Glarry has that shiney and somewhat sticky material I mentioned in the Chinese generic cases on Ebay? Do you have to use two hands to open it in the concert and tenor size?
I also remember the soprano as being somewhat oversized, which can be good or bad... (fit the diminutive Imua concert perfectly)

I do remember liking the red stitching... :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Tracie! I ordered one. Needed something sturdier for the plane. I like that it's lockable -- less likely to come open unexpectedly. Also, if there's any problem with the fit, it can be returned to the local store.

Also, if there's any problem with the fit, it can be returned to the local store.

Within the last year I had a problem with the Guitar Center cases. I already had 2 from past years which worked perfectly so I bought a 3rd to house another uke. The uke wouldn't fit in it! I measured the interior and compared it with the older cases and found that they had installed the neck support/storage compartment an inch lower toward the body section of the uke. I returned the case and ordered another one thinking that maybe this one was just a mistake but the replacement case had the same problem. I ended up having to order a Glarry case and played musical chairs with my ukes until they all had a case that fit them.

Last edited:
Jerry,
Looks like the Glarry has that shiney and somewhat sticky material I mentioned in the Chinese generic cases on Ebay? Do you have to use two hands to open it in the concert and tenor size?
I also remember the soprano as being somewhat oversized, which can be good or bad... (fit the diminutive Imua concert perfectly)

I do remember liking the red stitching... :)

I have one or two of them, and so does someone in our group. Neither is smelly or sticky. Do you have little kids in the house? Dogs? Cats? :D

Slightly over-sized isn't a concern for me. I can always stick a rag in there. What I don't want is too tight - putting pressure on the uke. When you have to ask someone to sit on the case so you can close it, you know the case is too small. :):D

I have one of the ebay tweed soprano cases, might be a Glarry. It's a bit oversized, a standard sop flops around a bit, it will actually fit smaller concerts. My concert Flea fits perfectly. Only 2 clasps. For the money, it's not bad at all, but it does have the sticky lid issue, it takes 2 hands to open it.

I have one of the ebay tweed soprano cases, might be a Glarry. It's a bit oversized, a standard sop flops around a bit, it will actually fit smaller concerts. My concert Flea fits perfectly. Only 2 clasps. For the money, it's not bad at all, but it does have the sticky lid issue, it takes 2 hands to open it.

I have some that require some effort to open because they're tight. Given the choice, I prefer three clasps and strap hooks.

I use camelcamelcamel to keep track of prices, and ukulele cases vary wildly in price.

Within the last year I had a problem with the Guitar Center cases. I already had 2 from past years which worked perfectly so I bought a 3rd to house another uke. The uke wouldn't fit in it! I measured the interior and compared it with the older cases and found that they had installed the neck support/storage compartment an inch lower toward the body section of the uke. I returned the case and ordered another one thinking that maybe this one was just a mistake but the replacement case had the same problem. I ended up having to order a Glarry case and played musical chairs with my ukes until they all had a case that fit them.

Oh no!
Now why would they do that!?
Was that a concert size? (I know that's your preferred.)

I have a Glarry for mandolin case so it will handle the 10" pot on my banjo uke. Not sticky, but I did have to air it a couple of days because of that chemical smell.

...they had installed the neck support/storage compartment an inch lower toward the body section of the uke.

That neck support occasionally disagrees with certain of my ukuleles. The support is too high or located too far forward or back. I never use the storage compartment, so a smaller neck support would be fine with me. Actually, it would be very easy to modify that support/compartment to accommodate a particular ukulele.

Oh no!
Now why would they do that!?
Was that a concert size? (I know that's your preferred.)

Yes, it was a concert size. When I tried to put the uke in the case the heel or toe (I don't know the proper anatomy term) where the neck meets the back of the body would squarely hit on top of the neck rest. It was weird. At first I thought I was sent a soprano case but the length was right and the bouts would have fit if I was able to get the uke in there. When I shared my measurement discovery with the guy at Guitar Center he too was baffled as to why they would have shifted the neck rest/storage compartment an inch closer to the body section of the case. To his credit, he would have offered me a more expensive Gator case for the same price but they were out of stock.

Regarding those Glarry cases - my Ohanas fit in them fine with no room to spare. For my Kalas, it practically requires a shoe horn to get them in the case. I actually have to apply force to get my Kalas in the Glarry cases. That's too tight for my comfort so the Kalas are in the Guitar Center cases where they fit like a glove with some head room to spare.

Last edited:
That neck support occasionally disagrees with certain of my ukuleles. The support is too high or located too far forward or back. I never use the storage compartment, so a smaller neck support would be fine with me. Actually, it would be very easy to modify that support/compartment to accommodate a particular ukulele.

I think I pulled the neck support out from both of my Guitar Center cases to make them a bit lower before reinstalling them. As far as moving them forward and back, I felt confident I was capable of doing that as well but then you're drilling new holes in the case and leaving the old holes open. I would have felt a need to deal with the old holes so trying to correct all of that was too much of a hassle with unsightly holes I didn't want to mess with.

How about using Velcro or some kind of glue to hold the repositioned neck support? It isn't under any stress.

I'm sure that would work (I'd probably opt for glue) but then you'd have to somehow deal with the original positioned screws now protruding into the case rather than the neck brace/wall of the storage compartment.

I don't mind messing around too much, sometimes it's fun. If someone handed me a case for free or next to nothing and I had to fiddle around with it to make it work for an intended uke then I'd be in. If I'm buying a case new, even if it's on sale, I kind of want it to work for me right off the bat.

Last edited:
For the community:
Guitar Center has hardshell soprano, concert, and tenor cases on sale right now for $29 plus free shipping:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear/Tenor-Ukulele-Case.gc

They're a bit plain but much better IMHO than the generic black cases on Ebay... they don't have that stickiness, esp in the larger sizes...

Thanks for sharing! Always been curious of these cases; especially the soprano model. Seems most cheap cases are oversized for Martins and Kiwaya's.

I'm sure that would work (I'd probably opt for glue) but then you'd have to somehow deal with the original positioned screws now protruding into the case rather than the neck brace/wall of the storage compartment.

I don't mind messing around too much, sometimes it's fun. If someone handed me a case for free or next to nothing and I had to fiddle around with it to make it work for an intended uke then I'd be in. If I'm buying a case new, even if it's on sale, I kind of want it to work for me right off the bat.

Cut them off with a Dreml (or something) and cover the remaining bit.

I grabbed one of the GC tenor cases for $29.00. Overall, it's pretty good, better than the sticky lid soprano case from ebay and more protective than a padded gig bag.

The good: the Ohana tenor body fits fine on the sides. The case has about 1.5" of empty space between the headstock crown and the padding at the top of the case . I suppose it could have been a inch shorter, but no biggie. The lid is not sticky, and easily opens with one hand. Finally, it has 3 clasps, I don't like having only 2.

The bad: although the neck support rest seems to be in the correct spot, it seems it might be a bit higher than needed, with the highest spot of the uke, the nut, sticking about 7/8"above the rim of the lower case, with about 1/2" of empty space below the heel/body joint. You can rock the uke when pressing on the upper bouts. The bottom end of the uke sits about 3/4" below the rim of the case. However, when I close the lid, there is no excess pressure on the nut area, where the strip of soft material padding slopes down on the lid, with the padding touching only the strings, not the nut, headstock or tuner posts. Overall, I suppose that the case is probably just a bit too deep, measuring at 5 1/8" exterior dimension at both top and bottom, while this particular Ohana tenor is 2.75" deep at the bottom. I guess they make them deeper to accommodate as many different brands as possible.

So I think it may be ok. It seems that adding about 3/4" of extra fabric/padding below the lower bout area will balance things out, by raising the lower part of the uke slightly.

Hey, still a heckuva deal for $29.00. Anyone know where to get a piece of that black velour material, maybe 1" thick, to add below the lower bout area in this case?

20190501_142625.jpg
20190501_142709.jpg
20190501_144809.jpg
20190501_142340.jpg

Last edited:
Thx for posting, John.
Someone really missed on design, with a case that deep and the neck rest set so high.
Still a good deal though.
However, I would rather pare down the neck rest then have the uke sit that high.
Could a person cut a slit into the fabric and carve it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom