NUD: aNueNue 1879 Koa

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I love this ukulele! Although it looks small, it's about the same size as a modern soprano. It came with a case that looked like it would be for a sopranino. It was described as used on Reverb, but it looks brand new.

I love the sound! It's loud, with a lot of sustain, but it also has a delicate tone. This is definitely a keeper. An explanation of the uke from Reverb is below. The pictures I'm posting are also from Reverb, just for convenience and speed of posting.

There might still be one available right here on our Marketplace, for less than I paid for mine. This one came from Maple Street Guitars, Atlanta, GA - excellent dealer.

1879 refers to the year that the Portuguese arrived in Hawaii bringing with them their little 4-stringed Braguina instruments which the islanders adopted and which evolved into the ukuleles we know today. This aNueNue 1879 model soprano ukulele is inspired by the Jonah Kumalae "Gold Award" soprano ukuleles that were made in Honolulu between 1911 and 1940. In 1915 Jonah Kumalae won the Panama Pacific International Exhibition Gold Award in San Francisco, and from that time on his ukuleles featured on their headplate the distinctive crest of Hawaii, the maker name, the "Gold Award" name by which these ukuleles are often called, and the date 1915.

01.jpg 02.jpg 04.jpg 03.jpg 06.jpg

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?137664-FS-Two-Solid-Koa-Sopranos-(recent) ($350)

Last edited:
Wow wow wow! This looks absolutely stunning. So I’m confused, that aNueNue Taiwan ukulele company made this, or this is by a different maker and called this ukulele aNueNue?

Wow wow wow! This looks absolutely stunning. So I’m confused, that aNueNue Taiwan ukulele company made this, or this is by a different maker and called this ukulele aNueNue?

Interesting situation. The company is in Taiwan, but the ukes are made in China and Japan.

"aNueNue ukuleles are designed in Taiwan and manufactured in China and Japan."

http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/story

Beautiful little ukulele. It really captures the look of the era. I'd have guessed it to be a vintage instrument if you hadn't explained its origins.

I have one and these are great little ukuleles. They are getting pretty scarce be glad you found one!

that's a beauty!!:drool:

Interesting situation. The company is in Taiwan, but the ukes are made in China and Japan.

"aNueNue ukuleles are designed in Taiwan and manufactured in China and Japan."

http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/story

Thanks for the info. I still can’t believe aNueNue has such a vintage looking uke. Guess it’s limited ed too, can’t find any info on the aNueNue site.

Wow. I never heard of an aNueNue that old either! What a find.

Thanks for the info. I still can’t believe aNueNue has such a vintage looking uke. Guess it’s limited ed too, can’t find any info on the aNueNue site.

I don't think they're currently being made, but there's one for sale in our Marketplace.

It's a replica of the Gold Medal winner uke that was made from 1911 - 1940.

Last edited:
I had one, but sold it on. The build quality is very good from inner lining to the compensated wooden bridge, it's solid and curvy wood so every one of these is instantly recognisable, the case fits like a glove and it's a magic trick to get such an instrument out of such a small box, the sound is very loud partially through the domed back and the featherlight construction, the pegheds works wonderfully while still looking the part...

I did sell mine because the koa sound wasn't for me, and I'm into antique instruments. In spite of the '1879' name, it's more based on the post-1911 Kumalae ukuleles.

Last edited:
I don't think they're currently being made, but there's one for sale in our Marketplace.

It's a replica of the Gold Medal winner uke that was made from 1911 - 1940.

I live in a far faraway land where it’s impossible to shop in UU marketplace.

Revising an older thread - I assume these are now our of production?

*droooool* That's gorgeous!

Wow what a beauty! The logo reminds me of the classic Luna logo on vintage Japanese ukes.

Top Bottom