Clever Idea for Attaching a Strap

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Not to be be contrary, but I have 34 ukes and basses, each with its own strap (and tuner) which on the average cost me about $18, I never have to take them off and put them on.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Not to be be contrary, but I have 34 ukes and basses, each with its own strap (and tuner) which on the average cost me about $18, I never have to take them off and put them on.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I put mine in and out of cases, and doing that with the strap is awkward. Also, I don't want fifty-three straps. :)

I really don't see how this is an improvement over simply slipping the leather strap end off and on the endpins and strap buttons as needed.

I can imagine it might be a safer option with heavier instruments... but the risk of marring the uke finish with the metal strap safety lock would outweigh any benefits it might have for ukes - in my opinion.

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I found someone on the internet used a Command strip hook and attached it to the end of the uke; made a loop and attach it to hook and attached the other strap end to the headstock. Seems pretty cheap and easily removed.

John

I really don't see how this is an improvement over simply slipping the leather strap end off and on the endpins and strap buttons as needed.

I can imagine it might be a safer option with heavier instruments... but the risk of marring the uke finish with the metal strap safety lock would outweigh any benefits it might have for ukes - in my opinion.

My straps are all tight, and removing them isn't easy. I'm always afraid I'm going to damage the uke. Easy on and off would be nice.

I use strap locks on my electric guitars and bass (mine are schallers, and extra buttons are available inexpensively). I have them on an ukulele but I don't find it very useful. I'm going to switch back to normal strap buttons when I get around to it. The ukukele is light enough that I'm not worried about it falling, and pulling a strap onto a normal button is pretty easy. Pulling in over an acoustic jack pickup is more of a pain, and I haven't found good QR locks that work with them. I take straps of before casing, and I've been building a strap collection so they don't need to move around (frustrating to want to play upstairs if the strap is downstairs!) I get mostly cheap and colorful straps for the ukulele. Big, heavy, and expensive straps work better on the heavy instruments and feel really silly on a ukulele.

I leave the straps on if the uke is in a stand, or I go to a club meeting. I use a UkeCrazy canvas polyfoam case to transport my tenors. The straps fit in the case pretty well while on the uke.

If the tenor is stored in a hard case, I remove the strap. Often wrapping it through the handle to remind me which tenor is in which case.

I had to put strap lock "rings" on a few of the ukes to prevent the strap from pulling off while playing. (It's happened. Some of the leather loosens after a while.) These are the usual metal strap pins and a leather strap end. I place a rubber or a silicone washer or ring over the strap end and it locks the strap on very well.

I have a separate strap for each ukulele I own. I prefer 2" wide guitar straps to thinner 1-1/2" uke straps.

Just get a bag of these rubber washers, supposedly from Grolsh beer bottles. Put your strap on the strap button(s), then add a washer; the strap never falls off. Guitarists have been doing this for decades. Personally, if using strap locks at all, I prefer Dunlop StrapLoks on electric guitars, but think strap locks are way overkill on ukes, especially when the washers work just fine. You can find much smaller quantities on eBay, or just buy a bag and share with all your buds on UU! :p

https://www.amazon.com/Grolsch-Bottle-Replacement-Washers-Pack/dp/B004NXUJ06

Strap peg.jpg

Last edited:
Just get a bag of these rubber washers, supposedly from Grolsh beer bottles. Put your strap on the strap button(s), then add a washer; the strap never falls off. Guitarists have been doing this for decades. Personally, if using strap locks at all, I prefer Dunlop StrapLoks on electric guitars, but think strap locks are way overkill on ukes, especially when the washers work just fine. You can find much smaller quantities on eBay, or just buy a bag and share with all your buds on UU! :p

https://www.amazon.com/Grolsch-Bottle-Replacement-Washers-Pack/dp/B004NXUJ06

View attachment 117292

I have the opposite situation: the straps are hard to attach and remove. Of course, enlarging the hole a bit would save me $25 per uke. :)

The El Cheapo way to add a strap that you want to remain on the uke is to simply screw it to the back of the uke, along with a washer to be sure that the strap does not get loose. I have used some SS screws and washers from my sailing days but regular hardware store stuff is just as good. Nobody looks at my ukes to see what kind of strap pin I'm using and I suspect the same is true for you too.

Top Bottom