Anyone have a Beansprout Alto?

Cluze

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
While I already own several fine instruments and certainly don't *need* anymore, I have found myself daydreaming about a luthier built instrument. In my searches (powered by some discussions I have seen here on the forums) I have been drawn to the work of Aaron Keim at Beansprout. The look of the woods he uses appeals to me on a deep level; the simple beauty in the wood itself is what attracts me to be honest.

I was wondering if anyone here in the forums has an alto Beansprout (I like my ukes either concert or soprano sized, and his alto size is right in between those) and can share their experiences. How do you like the size? What is the sound and feel like? Specifically if anyone has an alto in myrtle, that would be awesome as that is the wood he uses that I find the most visually appealing. I did a search of the forums and while I found some Beansprout discussion, I didn't find much on the alto size instruments.

Thanks in advance, and happy strumming!

Have you seen his YouTube channel? He has many completed work demos on there and more than a few altos. If you like the concert scale, I don't think you could go wrong with the alto.

I have, and have enjoyed his many videos of completed instruments. The tenor scale seems to be more popular, but they are not really my jam honestly.

I am hoping to hear from someone who has spent some time with one of his altos and can compare to some other instruments. (I am making the incredibly bold assumption that folks here have more than one ukulele...)

There is a pretty good chance that if I were to email Aaron Keim himself he would happily put up a video of a comparison to a soprano and an concert, I suspect.

I have 346 and I LOVE it!!! It is my favorite ukulele by FAR, and you can see my list below. It just feels "right" to me, as I'm not fond of too-shiny-to-play instruments. Mine has a surprisingly warm tone for the size and it projects somewhere between my two tenor koas! This is likely due to cedar soundboard though. The finish is very light, so you can actually feel and smell the wood grain. The radiused fretboard is also nice, as I got used to it with one of my G-Strings and prefer it. The size is nice and comfy to me and will likely feel nice to you given that you own a few concerts. If you need any close-up pics, etc, of workmanship PM me and I'll email some. Also, if you do decide to get one, the fiberglass concert Crossrock case fits it like a glove, better than the case it comes in.

Looks great except for the neck which has an 'Ikea pine table leg' look to it. There don't seem to be any other options for the neck though other than Douglas Fir which is a shame.

He does walnut, maple, and mahogany necks too that I’ve seen. I even saw an oak one for an oak banjo uke. He’d likely do whatever you request that he has, you just have to ask for it. I had the option to choose every single piece of wood that went into it from pictures, but had him make the choice of neck. I like it :)

That is a gorgeous piece of craftsmanship and design. Really lovely. It just invites you to pick it up and play. And it sounds good too? Wow.

Oiled finish?

He does walnut, maple, and mahogany necks too that I’ve seen. I even saw an oak one for an oak banjo uke. He’d likely do whatever you request that he has, you just have to ask for it. I had the option to choose every single piece of wood that went into it from pictures, but had him make the choice of neck. I like it :)

That's good to know. They do look and sound amazing.

Just now seeing this! The CRF 1000 case, concert size.

Mine will be built soon!

All myrtle, alto size. I love the wood that I picked out, and can't wait to see the final result. I am sure I will make an overly lengthy NUD post when it gets here, although that won't be until the end of October, most likely.

I love the natural look of his builds. The beauty of the wood, with all its unique features and grain takes center stage. Of course, none of that would be worth much if they did not play well. I have not seen one in person, but the clips online sound stunningly good. I look forward to seeing yours when it is ready.

The neck looks chonkey.
How's it to play ?

Last edited:
While I already own several fine instruments and certainly don't *need* anymore, I have found myself daydreaming about a luthier built instrument. In my searches (powered by some discussions I have seen here on the forums) I have been drawn to the work of Aaron Keim at Beansprout. The look of the woods he uses appeals to me on a deep level; the simple beauty in the wood itself is what attracts me to be honest.

I was wondering if anyone here in the forums has an alto Beansprout (I like my ukes either concert or soprano sized, and his alto size is right in between those) and can share their experiences. How do you like the size? What is the sound and feel like? Specifically if anyone has an alto in myrtle, that would be awesome as that is the wood he uses that I find the most visually appealing. I did a search of the forums and while I found some Beansprout discussion, I didn't find much on the alto size instruments.

Thanks in advance, and happy strumming!

I don't have an alto, but I have one of his banjo ukes. The construction is excellent, as are the appearance and the sound. Aaron's instruments have a unique look, and they're made with materials that don't deplete the environment. I like to support independent builders as much as I can. Look on his webpage and learn about him and his instruments.

I have 346 and I LOVE it!!! It is my favorite ukulele by FAR, and you can see my list below. It just feels "right" to me, as I'm not fond of too-shiny-to-play instruments. Mine has a surprisingly warm tone for the size and it projects somewhere between my two tenor koas! This is likely due to cedar soundboard though. The finish is very light, so you can actually feel and smell the wood grain. The radiused fretboard is also nice, as I got used to it with one of my G-Strings and prefer it. The size is nice and comfy to me and will likely feel nice to you given that you own a few concerts. If you need any close-up pics, etc, of workmanship PM me and I'll email some. Also, if you do decide to get one, the fiberglass concert Crossrock case fits it like a glove, better than the case it comes in.
hello
Hello Anthroterra, I am getting a Beansprout in August, We have yet to begin discussing the details. One comment you made was about the case it comes with. What don't you like about it? The crossrock would be nice , kind of expensive but If you are getting a Beansprout you may as well get a good case.

i think the last part of your post is most important. I Lke It!. I am on the schedule for this year. I think his work is amazing and I enjoy his attitude about the materials he reuses. Is the case that comes with it a little big? I am thinking i will get the crossrock and have him ship it to me with that. It looks like Reverb has some for a little less than I have seen.

Looks great except for the neck which has an 'Ikea pine table leg' look to it. There don't seem to be any other options for the neck though other than Douglas Fir which is a shame.
He'll make the neck out of anything you want. My baritone that he just made is port orford cedar + walnut

Top Bottom