PDA

View Full Version : Sopranissimo, Anyone?

Jerryc41
04-25-2019, 09:08 AM
How many of you have a sopranissimo? I have a sopranino, and that takes some effort to play till I get used to it.

jimavery
04-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Not yet, might be tempted one day though. I'm mighty impressed with Ortega's Keiki Sopranino.

Jim Hanks
04-25-2019, 10:36 AM
:stop:
:rulez:
Nothing under concert scale for me :p

Choirguy
04-25-2019, 11:40 AM
I do...the Ohana Pineapple. It isn’t much smaller than my Kala Pocket Ukulele or my Caramel Sopranino.

glennerd
04-25-2019, 11:41 AM
Per my signature, I have a sopranino. Pretty easy to play since I usually play soprano, but I don't think I'd make the jump to sopranissimo. I considered a pineapple sopranino recently, but I really want to focus on soprano which has the sound I want and the scale I'm used to.

Jerryc41
04-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Per my signature, I have a sopranino. Pretty easy to play since I usually play soprano, but I don't think I'd make the jump to sopranissimo. I considered a pineapple sopranino recently, but I really want to focus on soprano which has the sound I want and the scale I'm used to.

My sopranino is a pineapple, too. Cute.

Ukecaster
04-25-2019, 12:50 PM
:stop:
:rulez:
Nothing under concert scale for me :p

I thought the rule was anything bigger than sopranissimo is cheating? :) I'm a cheater...bigtime.

Anthroterra
04-25-2019, 05:56 PM
I love mine- it’s adorable lol. I do cramp up a bit if I play it for a long session, but I do toss it in my bag if I’m pulling a night shift or traveling. It’s perfect for that. And for playing at stop lights...

Jerryc41
04-25-2019, 10:57 PM
I love mine- it’s adorable lol. I do cramp up a bit if I play it for a long session, but I do toss it in my bag if I’m pulling a night shift or traveling. It’s perfect for that. And for playing at stop lights...

I ordered an Ohana TTPK-70G spruce top pineapple to match my similar soprano.

keenonuke
04-26-2019, 05:30 AM
We're considering the Blue Willow Ohana Sopranissimo. It's just so cute.

Jerryc41
04-26-2019, 05:43 AM
We're considering the Blue Willow Ohana Sopranissimo. It's just so cute.

I'll have spruce-top Ohanas in soprano, sopranino, and sopranissimo sizes. The smaller the uke, the bigger the model name. :D

AQUATOPAZ
04-26-2019, 06:01 AM
I have the solid Ohana spruce top pineapple sopranissimo. I got it for travelling as it fits in my personal bag for travelling on cheapo airlines with no carry on allowance. It is more difficult to play, but I get used to it after a few hours. Right now I loaned it to my daughter for her trip to Cambodia/Madagascar. She says she isn't playing much because of its size. I am just hoping for its safe return to me. It is a sweet sounding uke and I need my travel uke.

YogiTom
04-26-2019, 07:09 AM
I opted for the sopranino, figuring with my large hands the sopranissimo would be too small to enjoy. The sopranissimo definitely has a slight edge in my book for “cute” factor, though.

I think I made the right call, as even the sopranino will cause my fretting hand to cramp up if I’m doing anything other than barre chords.

All that said, the sound and sustain in these little ukes is out of control! I’ve heard the pineapple gives even more volume with the slightly larger soundboard. Mim had a B-stock solid wood model that I jumped on. Tuned up a whole step with Worth Browns, it is one of my favorites for playing around the house.

glennerd
04-26-2019, 08:06 AM
I opted for the sopranino, figuring with my large hands the sopranissimo would be too small to enjoy. The sopranissimo definitely has a slight edge in my book for “cute” factor, though.

I think I made the right call, as even the sopranino will cause my fretting hand to cramp up if I’m doing anything other than barre chords.

All that said, the sound and sustain in these little ukes is out of control! I’ve heard the pineapple gives even more volume with the slightly larger soundboard. Mim had a B-stock solid wood model that I jumped on. Tuned up a whole step with Worth Browns, it is one of my favorites for playing around the house.

Nice comparison in the link below. The pineapple with the larger volume body almost makes it sound one size up . But then I've noticed that with pineapple in general. That's what interests me in the pineapple sopranino; pineapple shape with sort of a soprano sound. Soprano pineapples are too full sounding for my tastes.

https://youtu.be/eY-SsZ31tU0

Jerryc41
04-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Nice comparison in the link below. The pineapple with the larger volume body almost makes it sound one size up . But then I've noticed that with pineapple in general. That's what interests me in the pineapple sopranino; pineapple shape with sort of a soprano sound. Soprano pineapples are too full sounding for my tastes.

Thanks for that.

YogiTom
04-26-2019, 09:20 AM

Thanks for that.

:agree: ditto! Thanks for sharing the link.

keenonuke
04-27-2019, 05:05 PM
Another great video comparing these little onesies from Roxie

https://youtu.be/PYvpOobMMSA

Jerryc41
04-28-2019, 01:09 AM
Another great video comparing these little onesies from Roxie

https://youtu.be/PYvpOobMMSA

Thanks for that.

Bill Sheehan
04-28-2019, 03:57 AM
Thanks for that.

I'll "ditto" Jerry's appreciation for that "Roxie" link. I always enjoy taking a look at Roxie's (Rachel's) reviews. She is such a down-to-earth, knowledgeable, bright and fun lady, and a great player too.

aremick
05-01-2019, 03:45 AM
I'll "ditto" Jerry's appreciation for that "Roxie" link. I always enjoy taking a look at Roxie's (Rachel's) reviews. She is such a down-to-earth, knowledgeable, bright and fun lady, and a great player too.

That's why I got her for our July 20 Hop 'n Uke fest!

Jerryc41
05-01-2019, 04:24 AM
That's why I got her for our July 20 Hop 'n Uke fest!

Where is that?

Jerryc41
05-01-2019, 04:25 AM
Where is that?

Got it.

https://www.facebook.com/events/adventure-brewing-company/hopn-uke-fest/303961890285117/

Jerryc41
05-02-2019, 01:08 AM
I received my Ohana pineapple sopranissimo, and I'm surprised how easy it is to play.

Bill Sheehan
05-04-2019, 05:28 AM
I recently got the Ohana O'Nino sopranissimo. A beautiful instrument to look at, with a very deep and rich mahogany. After tinkering with it for a couple of days in
"A D F# B" and feeling maybe just a little underwhelmed, I tried boosting it another full step higher this morning, to "B E G# C#", and wow, that really seems to be the sweet spot for this uke! The string tension feels just about equivalent to a soprano tuned in "G C E A", or a sopranino tuned in "A D F# B", and the tone is really sweet and tight and pretty, like a little music box. Granted, it creates a little bit of a dilemma in the sense that, if I want to do my vocal numbers with this tuning, using the same chord shapes I'm accustomed to, I'm now forced to sing up there in a higher range, but I'm hoping I can work around that by finding ways to improvise the higher passages using alternate (lower) singing notes, thus "making them my own", as we say...

glennerd
05-04-2019, 05:45 AM
I recently got the Ohana O'Nino sopranissimo. A beautiful instrument to look at, with a very deep and rich mahogany. After tinkering with it for a couple of days in
"A D F# B" and feeling maybe just a little underwhelmed, I tried boosting it another full step higher this morning, to "B E G# C#", and wow, that really seems to be the sweet spot for this uke! The string tension feels just about equivalent to a soprano tuned in "G C E A", or a sopranino tuned in "A D F# B", and the tone is really sweet and tight and pretty, like a little music box. Granted, it creates a little bit of a dilemma in the sense that, if I want to do my vocal numbers with this tuning, using the same chord shapes I'm accustomed to, I'm now forced to sing up there in a higher range, but I'm hoping I can work around that by finding ways to improvise the higher passages using alternate (lower) singing notes, thus "making them my own", as we say...

Yeah, I found a similar situation with tuning my sopranino GCEA. It's happy enough being tuned that way, but it's not really playing the way it was designed to. Now I'm starting to wonder if concerts and tenors want to be tuned down. :rolleyes:

Jim Hanks
05-04-2019, 05:47 AM
E tuning makes sense for this scale. I think I mentioned on this thread or a similar one that I have the last 3 Southcoast XLL sets that would go even higher - F or even G. You could use this to sing in a *lower* register by going "down octave" relative to the uke

Jim Hanks
05-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Now I'm starting to wonder if concerts and tenors want to be tuned down. :rolleyes:
Yes, tenors definitely want to be tuned down to Bb at least. Concerts are best at C.
And there's no disputing these facts. :p

AQUATOPAZ
05-04-2019, 06:52 AM
I received my Ohana pineapple sopranissimo, and I'm surprised how easy it is to play.

Takes me some getting used to becayse it is hard for me to keep in place. Same for my daughter who is borrowing it. Since I mostly fingerpick, I don't hold it high up like many strummers do.

Bill Sheehan
05-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I found a similar situation with tuning my sopranino GCEA. It's happy enough being tuned that way, but it's not really playing the way it was designed to. Now I'm starting to wonder if concerts and tenors want to be tuned down. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Glenn. I too have felt that the sopranino scale seems to like the ADF#B tuning, while sopranissimo seems well-suited for BEG#C#. I tend to put regular sopranos a half-step higher than the customary GCEA tuning, just to give them a little tighter feel. And concert scale does nicely with GCEA. I agree that many tenors have a great feel and tone when tuned downward a full step to F Bb D G. By the way, all of these expressions of personal preference are with Martin M-600 strings (for concert, soprano, sopranino, and sopranissimo) and Martin M-620's (for tenor).

Bill Sheehan
05-04-2019, 10:52 AM
E tuning makes sense for this scale. I think I mentioned on this thread or a similar one that I have the last 3 Southcoast XLL sets that would go even higher - F or even G. You could use this to sing in a *lower* register by going "down octave" relative to the uke

Interesting thoughts, Jim. For this week, at least, I think I've found my dream combination. Of course, we all know how THAT goes... :rolleyes:

Jerryc41
05-06-2019, 01:24 AM
Takes me some getting used to becayse it is hard for me to keep in place. Same for my daughter who is borrowing it. Since I mostly fingerpick, I don't hold it high up like many strummers do.

You could try a sticky pad on the back.

https://www.stickinwithmyuke.com/buy

bratsche
05-06-2019, 06:08 AM
This thread is mind-boggling (obviously, not to everybody!)

To me. it's like imagining grown adults buying 1/8 and 1/10 size Suzuki violins - to actually play, themselves! Not to start their toddlers on, or even just to look at. Yes - they are "cute"! And yes, they will fit in your suitcase for travel!

But to play one? Yikes...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

bratsche

Down Up Dick
05-06-2019, 06:24 AM

To me. it's like imagining grown adults buying 1/8 and 1/10 size Suzuki violins - to actually play, themselves! Not to start their toddlers on, or even just to look at. Yes - they are "cute"! And yes, they will fit in your suitcase for travel!

bratsche

Yeah, I agree. I guess with ukes, anything goes. Everyone seems to have unlimited uke funds. Times are good . . . :old:

Bill Sheehan
05-06-2019, 06:31 AM

bratsche

Hahahahahaha! Well, I have to admit, Bratsche, you may have a pretty fair point there! I love my little O'Nino, it's so darn cool, but I find that I have to tune it up pretty darn high to obtain a solid non-floppy string tension (two full steps higher than "standard"), and although it does sound very sweet up there, it presents a practical dilemma for those who sing when they play-- do we use the same chord shapes we've always used for our songs, and struggle to reach a lot of the vocal notes, or do we re-tool our songs with new chords that will effectively land us in the vocal range we're used to?

glennerd
05-06-2019, 06:55 AM

bratsche

Haha, you must be a tenor player! ;)

While I find the sopranino relatively easy to play and actually pretty fun, I wouldn't want to go smaller and I think I'll just stick to soprano going forward.

edhaponik
05-06-2019, 10:33 AM

bratsche

Worth noting that plenty of guitarists have a similarly incredulous response to grown adults being serious about playing ukulele in general.

AQUATOPAZ
05-13-2019, 06:01 PM
You could try a sticky pad on the back.

https://www.stickinwithmyuke.com/buy

I think I will try a Uke Leash when I get it back. I presume the sticky pads have adhesive.

Jerryc41
05-14-2019, 01:04 AM
I think I will try a Uke Leash when I get it back. I presume the sticky pads have adhesive.

Sticky, yes, but not like Scotch tape. Put it on - peal it off. I wouldn't leave it on a wooden instrument indefinitely, but for a composite, it should be fine.

AQUATOPAZ
05-14-2019, 06:08 AM
Sticky, yes, but not like Scotch tape. Put it on - peal it off. I wouldn't leave it on a wooden instrument indefinitely, but for a composite, it should be fine.

My Sopranissimo has a solid Mahogany back. I miss it and hope for its safe return.

Diogenes Blue
06-01-2019, 07:13 AM
Here's a video of a pineapple sopranino from a batch I made a while back. They were very well recieved and everyone commented on the amount of volume. 12" scale standard tuning with Martin soprano strings on this one but other configurations may work even better.

https://youtu.be/qai_uh-_mZo

I'm making a new batch and, if anyone is interested, was wondering what kind of inlay people would like to see on them.

Denisebrat
06-04-2019, 11:55 PM
Are you referring to the inlay at the top of the headstock? If so, a little butterfly or flower would be cute, or even a little pineapple. Do you have any other info on these pineapples you're making, like types of wood, nut width, etc.?

The Pashmeister
06-05-2019, 01:24 AM
I bought an Iuke recently and love it. I had to file out the nut grooves to allow for Aquila 95u strings (tuned gCEA at the same pitch as a standard soprano). It only cost me about 38 (brand new) so it was worth the gamble. I really like it. It's surprisingly easy to play - even with my 52 year old fingers, but the friction tuners are awful. I didn't want a small uke with geared tuners though. I'm upgrading the pegs shortly.
It's weird when you play it for a while and then play a soprano (or bigger) uke - they feel huge in comparison.

fretie
06-05-2019, 09:19 AM
I play my Tyde Pocket uke every now and then. It is a lovely responsive little instrument which does a good job of reminding me not to use too much force on the strings in order to keep correct intonation.

The pocket uke I have was one of Tyde’s first pocket uke prototypes. I wonder whether it is considered a sopranino or a sorpanisimo...?

Weebeastie
06-05-2019, 11:19 AM
I play my Tyde Pocket uke every now and then. It is a lovely responsive little instrument which does a good job of reminding me not to use too much force on the strings in order to keep correct intonation.

The pocket uke I have was one of Tyde’s first pocket uke prototypes. I wonder whether it is considered a sopranino or a sorpanisimo...?

I have a tyde pocket too, more on the lines of the sorpanisimo in size I would say.
Cherry and purple hearrt wood make for a really nice tone on such a small instrument.
Concert then soprano then pocket tyde...

keenonuke
06-05-2019, 12:50 PM
I ordered a Blue O'Nina from Elderly a few minutes ago. It should arrive in a few days. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to play it.

fretie
06-05-2019, 06:12 PM
I have a tyde pocket too, more on the lines of the sorpanisimo in size I would say.
Cherry and purple hearrt wood make for a really nice tone on such a small instrument.
Concert then soprano then pocket tyde...
Wow, nice quiver of Tydes!

Weebeastie
06-06-2019, 05:22 AM
Wow, nice quiver of Tydes!

Thank you, the Concert and pocket were using my own wood, that the guys used perfectly to build those 2. The Soprano was at last years Reno Uke festival and my first "serious" ukulele.
Just really admired the vibe, skill and natural approach these guys have. Could not meet nicer folks, perfect match of machine and hand craftsmanship.
Support local too, which is always nice.

glennerd
06-06-2019, 05:52 AM
I ordered a Blue O'Nina from Elderly a few minutes ago. It should arrive in a few days. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to play it.

Good idea, crossing your fingers will get them in condition for the that tiny fretboard! Or will they cramp up? I forget. :biglaugh:

keenonuke
06-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Well so much for fingers crossed. I just had a call from Elderly. The uke evidently had feet and walked. It can't be found and it will be another 2 weeks or more before one gets shipped out. I was laughing. So no worries I will have to wait and I'm going to uncross my fingers for now. :-)