Ukes in Libraries

Jerryc41

Reaction score
If you subscribe to Ukulele Unlimited magazine (and why wouldn't you?) you can read an article about libraries lending ukuleles and hosting uke groups ("Check It Out: Ukes Are Circulating in Libraries," by Heidi Swedberg) The last section, "Grace period," tells the story of how my group got started - Catskill Ukulele Group.

How common is it for libraries to lend ukuleles? How long can you keep them if you check them out? Or can you only use them in the library?

I don't think my local library does this, but I admit that I mostly get digital books from the library these days, so I don't go there often.

How common is it for libraries to lend ukuleles? How long can you keep them if you check them out? Or can you only use them in the library? I don't think my local library does this, but I admit that I mostly get digital books from the library these days, so I don't go there often.

I heard about it by Heidi and Daniel on a segment of the Ooktown podcast., the LA Public Library is making a concerted effort to provide ukuleles. You should be able to find out about it online.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If you subscribe to Ukulele Unlimited magazine (and why wouldn't you?) you can read an article about libraries lending ukuleles and hosting uke groups ("Check It Out: Ukes Are Circulating in Libraries," by Heidi Swedberg) The last section, "Grace period," tells the story of how my group got started - Catskill Ukulele Group.

Nice article.

How common is it for libraries to lend ukuleles? How long can you keep them if you check them out? Or can you only use them in the library?

I don't think my local library does this, but I admit that I mostly get digital books from the library these days, so I don't go there often.

In our area, most libraries have them. When newcomers attend our meetings, they sometimes borrow a uke for the night. I suppose the borrow time is the same as for a book - two weeks (?).

763664D8-953A-4224-9CB6-61B6DDBE7317.jpgOur local library here in rural Ontario has a beginner and intermediate uke group meeting once a week with ukes to lend. That is when it isn’t snowed-out. :(

Photo just taken. Grrr

View attachment 117421Our local library here in rural Ontario has a beginner and intermediate uke group meeting once a week with ukes to lend. That is when it isn’t snowed-out. :(

Photo just taken. Grrr

I find it interesting that a local library has a ukulele loaner plan. When one has a ukulele that they no longer, has anyone ever considered donating to their library?

By the middle of May, snow shouldn't be much of a problem. :)

I'm in the US, and we're supposed to have a big snow storm tonight.
Had almost 1/2 foot 2 weeks ago, so I've still got my shovel out, and still think that snow is a 4 letter word.

Yes, many of them are donations.

Ohhh, now that's interesting. I didn't know that a library might take a donated ukulele. I may have to see if my library will do that. Got to stir up some interest in my area.

About 3 years ago, TBUS and the Pinellas County Library system teamed up to begin a library lending program, with free beginner workshops done by our volunteers. We gave each of about a dozen libraries ukes to loan, with a tuner, gig bag, and instruction manual CD.
The program has been imminently successful. I've started somewhere around 100 new ukers myself. The program quickly spread to 2 more counties. Most of the libraries have bought more ukes, which are checked out all the time, with a wait list.
Our system received a grant for $9,999.00 for music education, as a result of our program. I still teach a monthly workshop, and we've done kid's ukulele summer camps for 3 years now. We wrote our own program, and each one is taught by a working or retired school teacher.
I'd say, yes, ukes in libraries works!

About 3 years ago, TBUS and the Pinellas County Library system teamed up to begin a library lending program, with free beginner workshops done by our volunteers. We gave each of about a dozen libraries ukes to loan, with a tuner, gig bag, and instruction manual CD. The program has been imminently successful. I've started somewhere around 100 new ukers myself. The program quickly spread to 2 more counties. Most of the libraries have bought more ukes, which are checked out all the time, with a wait list.
Our system received a grant for $9,999.00 for music education, as a result of our program. I still teach a monthly workshop, and we've done kid's ukulele summer camps for 3 years now. We wrote our own program, and each one is taught by a working or retired school teacher.
I'd say, yes, ukes in libraries works!

Bravo to all you.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Our group has meeting at the library for 5 years, we have donated many Ukes And cases for the loaner program.

I find it interesting that a local library has a ukulele loaner plan. When one has a ukulele that they no longer, has anyone ever considered donating to their library?

Do the libraries have someone knowledgeable about the care of a ukulele? Can they change strings, do minor repairs, and so on?

Do the libraries have someone knowledgeable about the care of a ukulele? Can they change strings, do minor repairs, and so on?

The library in my area partners with a local music store. The store donated the instrument and accessories. Their business card is attached to the beginner book. There's a big sticker on the book as well saying to bring it to the store to replace broken strings, etc.

Top Bottom