Decisions, Decisions

keenonuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I saw the posting for Possibly the last 4 Waverly Banjolele to be built.: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ly-the-last-four-banjo-ukes-I-m-going-to-make

What to do? I haven't played a banjolele and hadn't considered one before this. But what if I wanted one in the future?

I have been going back and forth. To buy, not to buy? The problem is I've recently added to the collection and spent quite a bit. Hum. I even asked a coworker, she suggested to get it because it's among the last 4 and what if... But I had just won another ukulele online, yikes. It seemed to me if I hadn't just gotten the other the choice would be easier. But the last 4 ....

As I joke to myself, UAS is strong in this one. :).

If it's one of the last four, it seems that it would be fairly easy to sell if you decided you didn't want to keep it. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

It’s a pandora box, you don’t want to open it. Or do you? There’s no going back.

Bleh

Get one, you won't regret it, one of the best banjoleles made, especially for the price! Hand made in the USA...

Depends on what your budget will allow, but you seem quite interested in it. If you buy it, there is always someone else with UAS who will buy it from the Marketplace, should you decide it's not for you. You might lose a little bit of money by reselling, but you'll have had the chance to try it, and won't have regrets about not getting it while you could. But, only you know what your budget will allow.

I had one of these for a while and was very pleased with it. I ended up selling it, simply because I found it rather loud. It went to a musician (unlike myself!), who was also very happy with it. I would definitely go for it.

If you don't play a banjolele already, pass. If you ever do decide it's time to play one, you will either pick one up on the Marketplace, or buy another model from a different amazing maker, or it will be an excuse to get a custom. If you have to wonder if it's a mistake, it is. Right now you have no plans to play one and no use for it. Trust that what is yours will come to you.

Two possibilities: buy one; regret not having bought one. Will putting $239 on a credit card ruin your life? (This is the type of reasoning that resulted in my having fifty-five ukuleles around the house. :))

There is a 3rd possibility, - don't buy one and never really think about it in the future because you never take up the banjolele. And the 4th of course is buy one, then have to deal with the hassle of selling it when you realize you never play it.

I like spending other people's money so buy it now. Let us know how you like it so that we know if we spent your money wisely.

Coming from me thus will sound weird.......DON'T buy it. You don't play banjo uke, you have no real desire for a banjo uke. What you have is a bad case of UAS. Step away from the computer screen. Go play the ukes you have and just forget about something you only want because of the laws of scarcity .

These are not the last 4 banjoukes on planet earth. If you decide in the future you want to play banjo uke there is plenty to choose from

My personal experience......I played someone's banjo uke at a uke festival for about 15 minutes. I thought it sounded cool. I bought one. Decided quickly that it wasn't for me. Returned it. No desire for one now. I'm about 50/50 on well thought out purchases versus impulse buys. My track record with impulse buys isn't very good.

Last edited:
Coming from me thus will sound weird.......DON'T buy it. You don't play banjo uke, you have no real desire for a banjo uke. What you have is a bad case of UAS. Step away from the computer screen. Go play the ukes you have and just forget about something you only want because of the laws of scarcity .

These are not the last 4 banjoukes on planet earth. If you decide in the future you want to play banjo uke there is plenty to choose from

If I had to play ukulele before buying one, I wouldn't be playing ukulele now. So IMO, (worth less than zero on a good day - and this is a good day), the OP needs to decide if he/she would like to try playing banjo uke, and decide from there. Some people love it, some don't. I personally have never tried one. But it could be fun. Or not. LOL.

/\

What he says.

My personal experience......I played someone's banjo uke at a uke festival for about 15 minutes. I thought it sounded cool. I bought one. Decided quickly that it wasn't for me.

It's definitely a love/hate thing. I've always liked the sound of a banjo, and the banjo uke combination is perfect for me.

Thanks to everyone who replied. At the moment I wrote the posting I had been struggling for since the initial positing - to purchase/not to purchase "that is the question." I enjoyed all the comments and laughed at some. I think All of you were right. What is my budget? What the hey? And fight UAS! I was coming from the position of scarcity thinking and what if. Yes and faith would bring me a banjolele in the future if I am to have one. But I chose a different option that is sort of side stepping the decision. Maybe even cheating :)

And I did make a Decision. I showed the Banjolele posting and a video of someone playing the Banjolele to my Grandson (who is the reason I got into ukuleles). The video was of someone playing the exact model https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJY-RBLyD0 and we discussed another - someone singing a song we enjoy (Oh Susanna) https://vimeo.com/317393383 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWQr3l9UXlE

My Grandon is really desirous of learning to finger pick and seeing/hearing the banjolele it became apparent that is his sound/not mine. So we looked at the sale site and purchased (with my money) number 400 for him. He is looking forward to the banjolele to join his ukuleles - favorite/first a Kala concert solid cedar top and his Martin 0X blue. And when it arrives I can accompany the banjolele. It definitely side stepped the issue - kinda like cheating the whole decision thing.

But if I chose rightly for me it perhaps should have been to do without and not purchase it. There is always another ukulele to drool over just a click away. And my sound is the standard bout (and it's variations) and the pineapple.

Thanks again to All. It was All Helpful.

Keenouke.......I like the way this whole scenario played out, brilliant really. I am fortunate to have 4 close ukulele playing friends and we all live vicariously through each other's purchases. Tim loves banjo ukes and high quality sopranos, I am a tenor and baritone lover. We enjoy playing each other's ukes without having to own them. It seems you and your grandson are forming the same relationship. Congratulations and enjoy your grandsons banjo uke, just remember to give it back :p

Top Bottom