PDA

View Full Version : been having little trouble with low G, but think i got it

patico
04-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Hi all.
i decided to try low G after all the good experiences read here.

At first was difficult to change my mind, kept playing the same as before, but was not what i expected. Left the ukulele for a while to try to understand what happened. I was playing tahitian ukelele meanwhile.

Finally the light came into my head and i discovered that the new low G is not just a simple replacement, its widenig my tonal palette in the lower range. With that in mind i did a little instrumental which includes the low G as my new friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVGNbqhc1k

hope you enjoy
thanks for reading and watching

Croaky Keith
04-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Yep, those extra notes make a difference, making it easier to play melodies, & you soon get used to how it sounds when you strum it. :)

Just listened - fabulous playing.

mountain goat
04-28-2019, 10:43 PM
aye. I think you got it brother. :)

Col50
04-29-2019, 01:46 AM
My acoustic tenor came with a high G.

I then bought a solid bodied electric Uke with low G.

The low G I found works far better for soloing, finger picking and instrumentals.

My acoustic tenor now has a low G.

sopher
04-29-2019, 01:55 AM
I would qualify that - for campanella style fingerpicking high G is better.

patico
04-29-2019, 08:25 AM
Ubulele, thanks
i was thinking just as you described, but my english ain't that good to put it into words, thanks alot

thanks all for taking your time to readn n answer.

Iorana, Maururu

70sSanO
04-29-2019, 08:51 AM
Biggest adjustment when going to low G is covering the G string. As Ubulele stated a lot open G string chords tend to sound bad. I do fingerstyle instrumentals and find that having to cover the low G string sometimes offsets the additional range. It is a bit of the Jake approach where the range is up the neck and the high G string is played open more than it can with a low G tuning.

For me it takes a lot more skill to play fingerstyle melodies while utilizing strummed, or plucked, full chords due to having to cover the G string. Just muting the G string results in a 3 string sound without the dynamic. For those who can master this, the sound is full and rich.

John

Pirate Jim
04-29-2019, 09:02 AM
Ubulele, that is probably the best explanation of linear tuning I've seen. When I first got the uke I spent about a year solely in linear then got the re entrant bug. I've been toying with the idea of going back to linear to see if I can raise my proficiency in it and your post has sealed it!