been having little trouble with low G, but think i got it

patico

Reaction score
Hi all.
i decided to try low G after all the good experiences read here.

At first was difficult to change my mind, kept playing the same as before, but was not what i expected. Left the ukulele for a while to try to understand what happened. I was playing tahitian ukelele meanwhile.

Finally the light came into my head and i discovered that the new low G is not just a simple replacement, its widenig my tonal palette in the lower range. With that in mind i did a little instrumental which includes the low G as my new friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTVGNbqhc1k

hope you enjoy
thanks for reading and watching

Yep, those extra notes make a difference, making it easier to play melodies, & you soon get used to how it sounds when you strum it. :)

Just listened - fabulous playing.

Last edited:
My acoustic tenor came with a high G.

I then bought a solid bodied electric Uke with low G.

The low G I found works far better for soloing, finger picking and instrumentals.

My acoustic tenor now has a low G.

I would qualify that - for campanella style fingerpicking high G is better.

thanks

Ubulele, thanks
i was thinking just as you described, but my english ain't that good to put it into words, thanks alot

thanks all for taking your time to readn n answer.

Iorana, Maururu

Biggest adjustment when going to low G is covering the G string. As Ubulele stated a lot open G string chords tend to sound bad. I do fingerstyle instrumentals and find that having to cover the low G string sometimes offsets the additional range. It is a bit of the Jake approach where the range is up the neck and the high G string is played open more than it can with a low G tuning.

For me it takes a lot more skill to play fingerstyle melodies while utilizing strummed, or plucked, full chords due to having to cover the G string. Just muting the G string results in a 3 string sound without the dynamic. For those who can master this, the sound is full and rich.

John

Ubulele, that is probably the best explanation of linear tuning I've seen. When I first got the uke I spent about a year solely in linear then got the re entrant bug. I've been toying with the idea of going back to linear to see if I can raise my proficiency in it and your post has sealed it!

Top Bottom