PDA

View Full Version : I "Won" a Cocobolo

Jerryc41
04-29-2019, 10:15 AM
This is amazing. I was about to buy a Cocobolo from kerneltime here on UU, but I told him to wait till after 2:00 to see if I won a chance to buy a new one from Kevin Keith.

When I went back to the computer, there was a message from Kevin telling me that I had "won" #372. I've been entering this lottery for at least a year, and I was minutes away from buy this one on UU. So, please, someone buy the beautiful Cocobolo from kerneltime.

I'll wait till after I receive it to post pictures.

YogiTom
04-29-2019, 10:22 AM
This is amazing. I was about to buy a Cocobolo from kerneltime here on UU, but I told him to wait till after 2:00 to see if I won a chance to buy a new one from Kevin Keith.

When I went back to the computer, there was a message from Kevin telling me that I had "won" #372. I've been entering this lottery for at least a year, and I was minutes away from buy this one on UU. So, please, someone buy the beautiful Cocobolo from kerneltime.

I'll wait till after I receive it to post pictures.

Congrats, Jerry! I had the same idea you did, but had my eyes on #370 and #375 from that lot.

Looking forward to your NUD once it arrives!

prb035
04-29-2019, 10:23 AM
Congratulations Jerry, well done! :D

Jerryc41
04-29-2019, 10:31 AM
Congrats, Jerry! I had the same idea you did, but had my eyes on #370 and #375 from that lot.

Looking forward to your NUD once it arrives!

I would have bought any of them.

YogiTom
04-29-2019, 11:30 AM
I would have bought any of them.

Weren’t you slimming down your collection recently? :p

I only tease to distract myself from knowing I would’ve bought any of them, too!

kerneltime
04-29-2019, 11:30 AM
I put new strings and low g on and it sounds really nice! Have been on the fence for selling..
All this talk is making me change my mind! :-)

RafterGirl
04-29-2019, 12:09 PM
Jerry keeps trying to thin his herd (more like an entire cattle drive) but the universe keeps sending him more ukuleles.

Nickie
04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
Way to go Jerry!
You won't regret it.
There is no way I'd ever get rid of my Cocobolo uke.
The lady who gets it when I die keeps trying to hide it from me.

captain-janeway
04-29-2019, 12:57 PM
How much is your "won" uke costing? Just looked up the site and they're gorgeous! Congrats!
Hey, I'll trade you my handmade banjo uke for it, lol!

keenonuke
04-29-2019, 01:42 PM
Wow it's great to know I'm only one + degrees of separation from someone who "won" in the cocobolo lottery. Way to go yippee. I had entered for 370. As my brother would say, "it's all good."

Kenn2018
04-29-2019, 03:18 PM
Dang! I didn't win. Glad that you did Jerry. They are pretty cool little concerts. Gorgeous to look at and sound mighty nice too. :drool:

But the question we all want to know the answer to is:

Are you going to spring for the dog's paw print side sound port? —Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

Jerryc41
04-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Dang! I didn't win. Glad that you did Jerry. They are pretty cool little tenors. Gorgeous to look at and sound mighty nice too. :drool:

But the question we all want to know the answer to is:

Are you going to spring for the dog's paw print side sound port? —Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

I've had dogs all my life, so I couldn't resist that dog paw.

keenonuke
04-29-2019, 03:57 PM
I've had dogs all my life, so I couldn't resist that dog paw.

To quote another old media line, "And now we know the rest of the story."

Snargle
04-29-2019, 04:09 PM
I've been entering the Cocobolo lotteries for well over a year with no luck. A couple of months ago, the same thing happened...all the available ukes went to someone else. But then, a couple of days later, I got a message from Kevin telling me that the original winner chose to not purchase the ukulele, but I was the runner-up and it was mine if I wanted it. I quickly checked my financial status, and a few hours later, was making a Paypal payment. I got one of their less common configurations...a concert with cocobolo back and sides with a cedar top. I am extremely happy with the instrument and have no regrets about that spur-of-the-moment decision.

I think you'll be quite pleased with your new Cocobolo!

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 01:49 AM
How much is your "won" uke costing? Just looked up the site and they're gorgeous! Congrats!
Hey, I'll trade you my handmade banjo uke for it, lol!

$599 + $40 dog paw + $109 shipping = $748

Let me think about that trade. :)

Joyful Uke
04-30-2019, 05:56 AM
$599 + $40 dog paw + $109 shipping = $748

Let me think about that trade. :)

Dog paw? Inlay?

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 06:08 AM
Dog paw? Inlay?

It's another sound hole on the upper right side of the upper bout. It's shaped like a dog's paw. I'll see I can find a picture.

Dog paw below -

captain-janeway
04-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Dog paw? Inlay?

Wow I just got a look at what you won! It's gorgeous!
Hey I'll throw in a cookie tin uke to go with the banjo uke in trade, lol!
I'll be entering lottery now for a concert.

YogiTom
04-30-2019, 02:16 PM
Probably deserving of its own thread, but Kevin at Cocobolo just updated their lottery to be a rolling system for anyone who doesn’t win. You can read about it on their Facebook page, but basically every one you don’t win, your name is added as an extra entry for the next lottery of the same size, cumulatively. So those who have been trying for years have a better shot in each lottery.

derbyhat
04-30-2019, 03:24 PM
The rolling lottery is cool, but it still doesn’t get me over my real hurdle: I refuse to create a Facebook account. ��

Here’s hoping the newsletter gives me a way in somehow.

YogiTom
04-30-2019, 03:35 PM
The rolling lottery is cool, but it still doesn’t get me over my real hurdle: I refuse to create a Facebook account. ��

Here’s hoping the newsletter gives me a way in somehow.

The other change is no more Facebook marketplace. It’ll be email newsletter only. ;)

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 03:54 PM
The rolling lottery is cool, but it still doesnít get me over my real hurdle: I refuse to create a Facebook account. ��

Hereís hoping the newsletter gives me a way in somehow.

Yes, the newsletter should work. There was a problem with Facebook last time.

derbyhat
04-30-2019, 05:43 PM
The other change is no more Facebook marketplace. It’ll be email newsletter only. ;)

Cool beans!

AustinHing
05-01-2019, 01:29 AM
It's another sound hole on the upper right side of the upper bout. It's shaped like a dog's paw. I'll see I can find a picture.

Dog paw below -

Congrats on winning! Iím curious about why is it dog paw and not any other paws?

Jerryc41
05-01-2019, 01:40 AM
Congrats on winning! I’m curious about why is it dog paw and not any other paws?

They tried lions and tigers and bears, but in order for the footprint to fit, the uke would have to be much, much larger. :D

CommonCurt
05-01-2019, 03:03 AM
The rolling lottery is cool, but it still doesnít get me over my real hurdle: I refuse to create a Facebook account. ��

Hereís hoping the newsletter gives me a way in somehow.

Same here. I remember last year I wrote and asked what are the people that don't have a facebook account supposed to do.

Even though I'm not a fan of lottery style or bidding sales. It will be a little better if it's handled through the news letter.

AustinHing
05-01-2019, 03:07 AM
They tried lions and tigers and bears, but in order for the footprint to fit, the uke would have to be much, much larger. :D

Ohhh.. why I didn’t think of this! :p

M3dicat3dV3t
05-01-2019, 11:31 AM
I glad someone here sold me their cocobolo. I am loving it.

Kenn2018
05-01-2019, 07:52 PM
They tried to do an auction at first. The bidding got totally out of hand and most people couldn't afford the ukes.

Kevin thinks that the lottery system is more fair and the prices are known up front.

Jerryc41
05-02-2019, 01:00 AM
They tried to do an auction at first. The bidding got totally out of hand and most people couldn't afford the ukes.

Kevin thinks that the lottery system is more fair and the prices are known up front.

Lottery - definitely. The spread of disposable income is huge. Many would struggle to buy a $500 uke, while others wouldn't blink at spending $5,000. A lottery might not be best for the seller, but it is for the thousands of uke buyers.

Joyful Uke
05-02-2019, 05:32 AM

Dog paw below -

Ohhh, now I wish I had a ukulele with a dog paw sound hole. Though I better not say that aloud, or the dogs will take that as an excuse to chew on a ukulele. :-)
(The ukuleles actually stay safely enclosed in their cases when not being played.)

keenonuke
05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Kevin sent an email today. The next lottery is for 6 tenors. The drawing will be May 6 at 2 PM.
Good luck.

Jerryc41
05-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Kevin sent an email today. The next lottery is for 6 tenors. The drawing will be May 6 at 2 PM.
Good luck.

Yes, I saw that. I'm satisfied with the concert, which will arrive on Monday. That's fast delivery from Nicaragua.

Ddjackso
05-07-2019, 02:08 AM
I just “won” one of the tenors from the Monday lot. I am so excited to finally get to play one. I cannot wait for it to get here. The uke I currently play is a Mitchell Concert, which was my “starter” uke and I cannot put it down. I have been lurking in uke stores for months in person and online trying to pick one that feels right. I know buying a ukulele I have not played is risky, but I have high hopes. :)

AQUATOPAZ
05-07-2019, 02:27 AM
I just “won” one of the tenors from the Monday lot. I am so excited to finally get to play one. I cannot wait for it to get here. The uke I currently play is a Mitchell Concert, which was my “starter” uke and I cannot put it down. I have been lurking in uke stores for months in person and online trying to pick one that feels right. I have know buying a ukulele I have not played is risky, but I have high hopes. :)

Congratulations. Being solid wood and probably set up, it should be quite a leap in sound from a Mitchell.

Jerryc41
05-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Congratulations. Being solid wood and probably set up, it should be quite a leap in sound from a Mitchell.

I'd say the appearance overpowers the sound - which is beautiful. I'll have to take pictures of it.

Jerryc41
05-07-2019, 11:21 AM
I just “won” one of the tenors from the Monday lot. I am so excited to finally get to play one. I cannot wait for it to get here. The uke I currently play is a Mitchell Concert, which was my “starter” uke and I cannot put it down. I have been lurking in uke stores for months in person and online trying to pick one that feels right. I know buying a ukulele I have not played is risky, but I have high hopes. :)

Fantastic! I saw the names of the winners, but I didn't know your name, of course. It should arrive quickly. Mine came withing a week. DHL does their deliveries. If you won't be home to sign for it, you can fill out a form online, and they'll leave it. I had him put it inside the breezeway.

Ddjackso
05-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Fantastic! I saw the names of the winners, but I didn't know your name, of course. It should arrive quickly. Mine came withing a week. DHL does their deliveries. If you won't be home to sign for it, you can fill out a form online, and they'll leave it. I had him put it inside the breezeway.

Yay for quick delivery! I am #302, and am so excited to play it. The kids are excited to take over the Mitchell ;). I could look at these ukes for days. Cannot wait to see your pictures. I am now on the search for a small amp that I can test the Misi out with to make sure everyone hears all my mistakes and help me to not slack off on forming chords.