PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Ohana Pineapple Sopranissimo

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 05:55 AM
This just arrived from Butler Music. So cute! It's amazing how well it's made and finished considering that it's not a big, mainstream ukulele. Not surprisingly, the volume is not going to disturb the neighbors when I play it, but the volume is acceptable.

I'm going to tune it GCEA, at least for now. One change I will be making is to the tuners. I bet they weigh as much as the rest of the uke. If I install UPTs, there will be those little screw holes left over. If I go that route, I'd like to fill them, but filling would require refinishing the back of the headstock, which is probably a job for a professional woodworker.

117506 117507 117508

YogiTom
04-30-2019, 06:33 AM
Cute! Any pics next to a “normal size” uke (or other object) for a sense of scale?

When you say the volume is “acceptable”, is it quieter than you had hoped? Just curious.

I will say, the tuners were a big factor in my choosing the sopranino, as it came with friction pegs that I can have swapped for UPTs without filling screw holes and refinishing. Best of luck swapping them out!

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 07:33 AM
Cute! Any pics next to a “normal size” uke (or other object) for a sense of scale?

When you say the volume is “acceptable”, is it quieter than you had hoped? Just curious.

I will say, the tuners were a big factor in my choosing the sopranino, as it came with friction pegs that I can have swapped for UPTs without filling screw holes and refinishing. Best of luck swapping them out!

I didn't have any expectations about the volume, but something this small isn't going to break any ear drums. : )

When I get the sopranino tomorrow, I'll take a picture of the three of them together. I see you have the SK-21A. I just sold one to buy the pineapple so that all three would match.

YogiTom
04-30-2019, 07:38 AM
When I get the sopranino tomorrow, I'll take a picture of the three of them together. I see you have the SK-21A. I just sold one to buy the pineapple so that all three would match.

Should be a pretty sweet lineup! Can’t wait to see.

Maybe a shot of them “in the garden” to show how Ohana grows their pineapples, harvesting as they reach the desired size?

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 07:40 AM
Should be a pretty sweet lineup! Can’t wait to see.

Maybe a shot of them “in the garden” to show how Ohana grows their pineapples, harvesting as they reach the desired size?

It's too cold out! :(

YogiTom
04-30-2019, 10:02 AM
It's too cold out! :(

Fair enough. I’m pretty spoiled here on the California coast...always good to remember our “cold” 40-50F days are pretty mild by comparison with much of the country!

prb035
04-30-2019, 10:19 AM
How cute, congrats :D

Jim Hanks
04-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Wont UPTs be heavier? :confused:

FWIW, I still have 3 sets of Southcoast XLL if you want to go with a higher tuning. Probably would be high dGBE on this short of a scale

Jerryc41
04-30-2019, 10:39 AM

FWIW, I still have 3 sets of Southcoast XLL if you want to go with a higher tuning. Probably would be high dGBE on this short of a scale

I have some UPTs. I'll weigh them and geared tuners. Regardless of the weight, those tuners look pretty big on that headstock.

Kenn2018
04-30-2019, 11:36 AM
If you want to go with Pegheds, I have the original set from my Martin 1T IZ you can have.

Just pay postage (by donating it to your Library program).

YogiTom
04-30-2019, 02:20 PM

I hadn’t thought of it, but you’re probably right there. Thanks for the reality check!

Jerryc41
05-01-2019, 01:15 AM
If you want to go with Pegheds, I have the original set from my Martin 1T IZ you can have.

Just pay postage (by donating it to your Library program).

I sent you a PM.

Jerryc41
05-01-2019, 05:03 AM

Gotoh 2.2 oz, Geared 2.6 oz. Not much difference, but I don't like those "ears" sticking out there.