Newbie... Go easy.

smoothice

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I was in Hawaii on the Big Island last week when I ran into a guy named Duke who plays the ukulele in a band called "Hawaiian Unimited". I think thats right.

We were chatting about the uke and he told me about this website.

-Duke - If you read this post up so I know who you are.

-Anybody who knows Duke please post up and tell me his username.

So anyways. I have owned a ukulele for about 3 years. And my total time actually playing it is about 1 hour.

When I got it I was told it was tuned. I was also told that a regular guitar tuner wouldn't work to tune it.

Both of those statements were lies. The uke sounded like complete crap. Which explains why I only played it a few times in a few years.

So after talking to a buddy of mine and getting some real answers about tuning. Then doing some more research to figure out what size uke I have. I am now ready to start playing more.

As soon as I got home from Hawaii I tuned my uke and now I am in love.

Here she is------
IMAG0359.jpg

It is a Leolani from OMI International and it is a tenor size.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

Any one have an opinion on this type/brand?

So anyways. Just wanted to say hi and look forward to participating on this forum.

i have that same ukulele. it was my first. and of all the ukulele i own, both cheaper and more expensive, that is my favorite sounding ukulele. string her up with some d'addario pro arte tenors and the warm tone will blow you away. perfect for slow strumming songs and picking love songs.

the only thing i dont like about it is the electronics. cheap. but for the price i got her for i cant complain.

the only thing i dont like about it is the electronics. cheap. but for the price i got her for i cant complain.

electronics? Mine does not have any electronics...

Yeah I think for the money and my skill level it should do me just fine for a while. I think I paid $125 for it 3 years ago at the Sunday market in Kona. :shaka:

thats even better. if you take good care of that ukulele, invest in a decent pickup system (LR baggs or Fishman are good names to start with) and when you get to the level at to perform, youre gonna have one nice uke to do it with.

if i ever make it back to hawaii anytime soon, im going to get another one... since mine is sitting it her case covered in autographs now. hehe

Welcome to UU smoothice. It's the greatest forum on the web! :cool:

Welcome, You'll find this a friendly, rarely critical forum.
If they can all put up with me, they can put up with just about anyone.

Questions? Just ask...

thats even better. if you take good care of that ukulele

What do you suggest for good care? Just not stepping on it?

Welcome to UU smoothice. It's the greatest forum on the web! :cool:

Thanks. I'm part of a few paintball forums. So I will consider this the best music forum on the web ;)

Welcome, You'll find this a friendly, rarely critical forum.
If they can all put up with me, they can put up with just about anyone.

Questions? Just ask...

Thanks. And I plan to have lots of questions. But I will try the search button first :shaka:

i suggest learning some of Aldrines easier lessons.... i think there is a thread that rates each vide and its difficulty, you shud search it up. Oh and wlecome, the first few months with that playing thing will be the best:D.

What do you suggest for good care? Just not stepping on it?
I'm a big believer in guitar polish and fretboard oils as preventative medicine for ukes. A case humidifier may be a good idea, too - depending on where you live.
Thanks. I'm part of a few paintball forums. So I will consider this the best music forum on the web ;)
I was a paintball junkie a few years back. Loved the game, but tore a whole lot of knee ligaments on a speedball course on summer, and that ended it for me. A wounded sniper is just begging to be lit up. I still limp a bit from that when the knee acts up in bad weather.
Thanks. And I plan to have lots of questions. But I will try the search button first :shaka:
By the Gawds of the Four Strings. A newbie who understands the search feature! Thank you, Lords of the Ukiverse for answering our prayers!;)

I'm a big believer in guitar polish and fretboard oils as preventative medicine for ukes. A case humidifier may be a good idea, too - depending on where you live.

Southern California. Think I need a humidifier?

I was a paintball junkie a few years back. Loved the game, but tore a whole lot of knee ligaments on a speedball course on summer, and that ended it for me. A wounded sniper is just begging to be lit up. I still limp a bit from that when the knee acts up in bad weather.

Wow. I tore my knee up crashing into a oncoming car on my motorcycle.:eek:

After my year of rehab (for my knee) I started playing paintball consistently. I try to go once a month.

My knee also hurts when its cold. Good thing I live in SoCal;)

By the Gawds of the Four Strings. A newbie who understands the search feature! Thank you, Lords of the Ukiverse for answering our prayers!;)

I may be a uke newb but I am not a forum newb. So I understand the frustration of numerous threads all asking the same question.

Southern California. Think I need a humidifier?

for that particular uke, maybe not. but its good to have. ive only had one ukulele damaged by humidity and its an all solid wood ukulele. yours is a solid top and back with laminated sides and its got a gloss finish. i wouldnt worry too much if you just keep it in the case when youre not using her.

for that particular uke, maybe not. but its good to have. ive only had one ukulele damaged by humidity and its an all solid wood ukulele. yours is a solid top and back with laminated sides and its got a gloss finish. i wouldnt worry too much if you just keep it in the case when youre not using her.

Cool. So is it low humidity (too dry) that damages a uke or high humidity (too wet)?

Cool. So is it low humidity (too dry) that damages a uke or high humidity (too wet)?

too dry. it can't hurt to have a humidifier, if you search around the forum or the web you can find out how to make your own with about $.25 worth of material...

both. too high can cause warpage. too low can cause cracking.

kinda like cigars. they have to be stored in a certain humidity or they get either soggy or crumply.

Wow. I tore my knee up crashing into a oncoming car on my motorcycle.:eek:
I was in two mc accidents (not including the usual cases of dropping the bike in the gravel...), once when a car went through a stop sign and sideswiped me as I was cornering - not serious injury, but it knocked me over and bruised me. Damaged my VFR800's fairing and levers, though.

Then once when a kid on a bicycle tried to cross the road in front of me (wasn't looking backwards) and slammed into my front wheel. Wheel turned sideways. Bike fell. Luckily the big floorboards kept it from falling on my leg. I was able to fall away from it, roll around on the pavement a few times, then stop in front of a transport truck's wheels. It was able to stop in time, but it was iffy for a few secs. Got an ankle-shoulder bruise on my left side, sprains, and bad neck ever since, but nothing broken. The bike took >$1K in damage to tank, wheel covers, paint, handlebars, etc. But I was back on the road in a week or so.

Ukuleles are much safer.​

Ukes may be safer, but necessarily "significant other" friendly.:D

A buddy of mine let me in on a great revelation.

"A woman's only hobby is ruining ours"

I have found this to be true.:p

Top Bottom