Is this really a 1924 Martin Style 2?

Melodious Thunk

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I just picked up my first ukulele. It it should arrive in about a week and I am very excited to sit down and play it.

It is purported to be a 1924 Martin style 2. I am hoping that this might be verified by a knowledgeable member of this forum (I hope that I am posting this in the right place).

Any help would be appreciated!

Here are some photos:

s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg

Thanks for your help,

Ryan

More than likely it is a WWII 1942-45, Logo with wooden pegs, if a magnet sticks to the frets, that indicates that they are stainless steel which were used during the war.
It is still a great vintage Martin. I used to collect WWII Martins (same age as me) but have moved them all out with the exception of a Concert

Last edited:
Could be a 1920 or 21 (last years of wooden pegs on Style 2s) with the regular fretboard extension. More likely due to the condition is that it is a WWII 1942-45, if a magnet sticks to the frets, that indicates that they are stainless steel which were used during the war.
It is still a great vintage Martin. I used to collect WWII Martins (same age as me) but have moved them all out with the exception of a Concert

That's exactly what I was thinking. Based on the very limited knowledge that I've acquired, I was thinking that it was a war time uke. The person that I purchased it from assured me that the nun (a relative of his) that originally purchased it insisted it was a 1924 model.

I'll try out the magnet when it arrives. That's a great indicator which I was not aware of.

Thanks very much for the input,

Ryan

regardless of date, it's a sweet uke! congratulations!

regardless of date, it's a sweet uke! congratulations!

Thanks! I am hoping that it will be as sweet in person. I am a little bummed that it may not be from the 1920's as was stated by the seller, but I still can't wait to get it and start playing.

-Ryan

From what I know, the logo on the front of the headstock was done around 1932 and beyond. While wooden pegs were used in the 20's they are also found in the WW2 era instruments. Nonetheless, lovely instrument. Enjoy!

From what I know, the logo on the front of the headstock was done around 1932 and beyond. While wooden pegs were used in the 20's they are also found in the WW2 era instruments. Nonetheless, lovely instrument. Enjoy!

I think I remember the Martin uke book stating that the first decal was done in '32 so I believe you are right.

Thanks,

Ryan

Very nice looking ukulele! You will enjoy it and it will sound wonderful! It looks in really good shape!

Maybe she confused 1924 with 1942? Anyhoo, a great looking uke, and an original case like that is pretty hard to find. I have a well-worn wartime Style 0, and it sounds great. I hope you enjoy yours!

That could be.

I thought that stainless wasn't magnetic. I sell kitchen appliances and the stainless frig doors won't allow a magnet to stick unless there is a ferrous sheet metal up against the backside. I would love to buy one of your rehabs sometime. Is there a place where you have them posted to see what you have available?

Congrats on a great looking vintage Martin. Somewhere I read that Martin used their leftover scraps of Cuban mahogany for ukuleles until the late 20s, and that's what makes these old ukes sound so magical. Is there any way to tell if a vintage uke is made of Cuban or Honduran mahogany?

I thought that stainless wasn't magnetic. I sell kitchen appliances and the stainless frig doors won't allow a magnet to stick unless there is a ferrous sheet metal up against the backside. I would love to buy one of your rehabs sometime. Is there a place where you have them posted to see what you have available?

Certain types of stainless are magnetic (ferritic stainless steels are generally magnetic while austenitic stainless steels usually are not). That being said, I believe that the Martin inventories actually list iron wire for war time ukulele frets. Iron is magnetic.

Top Bottom