PDA

View Full Version : The Magic Number and which Ones Would you Save

keenonuke
05-02-2019, 06:16 PM
So what is your dream number of Ukuleles to own? I think mine will be 15. I have my Sopranos. I'd like to add 5 String ukes, Resonators and Pineapples, plus maybe an electric.

I shared with my music teacher that I have 2 Ukuleles I would save in an emergency. For me those are my Koaloha KSM and my Kala Soprano Travel Ukulele. Although my Martin Style 2 is a very close 3rd.

Let's hear about what are the ones you would grab?

Kenn2018
05-02-2019, 06:57 PM
I think 20 would be about right. Some for strum. Some for Pickin'. Some plug in. Some specialty. But all tenors. Subject to change without notice...

Which two would I grab in an emergency?
1. Mike Pereira Mahogany & Spruce tenor, and 2. Aaron Oya Maple & Spruce tenor.
2.5s. My Kinnard Series 2 Rosewood & Spruce tenor and Pono Rosewood & Spruce cutaway tenors would be very close second-and-a-halves. (Maybe strap them to my back with one in each hand?)

Jan D
05-02-2019, 07:16 PM
I currently have five ukuleles, but my dream number would actually be only three: one high G concert for strumming, one low G concert for fingerpicking, and one "take anywhere, no worries" uke. More than three and I feel guilty about not playing the remaining ukuleles enough. I'm still searching for the right fingerpicking uke, but for now, in an emergency, I would definitely grab my KoAloha Koa Concert and my Flight Travel Soprano. Thanks for asking the question. It made me realize just how much those two instruments float my boat. :-)
Jan D

janeray1940
05-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Like the poster directly above, for me the magic number is three: my picks would be one reentrant, one low G, and one that works either way. I never seem to quite get there though (current total is five, which I consider two too many!).

In an emergency, I'd want to save my three Kamakas. But I'd save my cat first, which probably leaves only one hand free to grab a single uke: my HP-1 pineapple.

kohanmike
05-02-2019, 09:01 PM
I have 9 ukes, 8 good ones which are the maximum that fit in my humidified display cabinet, and a Fluke I got recently as a beater. They're all tenor re-entrant cutaway. I would grab 5, Kala cedar top, Lanikai bacote Thinline, custom Gypsy jazz, Godin Multiuke, custom spalted mango. I also have 25 bass ukes/mini bass guitars and I like 12 enough to save them. I have a nice mini van that will fit plenty of them.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

UkingViking
05-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Magic number: just one more!
I currently have 5, but I would not mind having less than that.

First one to save in a fire: probably my koa Fluke.

Jerryc41
05-03-2019, 01:23 AM
My problem is that I like variety - and the unusual. I have all sizes of GCEA ukes, and resonators and banjo ukes. I have a Dewdrop, Oreo, a couple of Southern Crosses, Roy Smeck, Wabash, cigar box, Vita Uke, Flea, Fluke, Scepter, Pineapple Sunday, 8-string, camp uke, Cocobolo, and a Peanut arriving next month.

I have too many ukes, and I have about five up for sale. I'd like to get my total to around three dozen - or lower.

Jerryc41
05-03-2019, 01:24 AM
First one to save in a fire: probably my koa Fluke.

I heard that someone is designing a uke made out of asbestos, so fire won't be a problem. :D

RafterGirl
05-03-2019, 02:58 AM
In the two years I've been playing, I've owned a total of 13. One of them I won at a ukulele festival. One was purchased with birthday gift money from my mom. All the others I bought myself. They have come from a variety of places....... A friend in my uke group, a local shop, Sam Ash, Amazon, Reverb X 2, Bonanza, Uke Republic, Mim, direct from Loprinzi, and HMS X 2. I've sold 6 and gifted 2 to friends. I currently have 5, and 5 is the most I've had at one time. I echo the sentiments of Jan D in post #3, I feel guilty about not playing them all equally. I'm going to re-home one, and stick with 4. I think that's my perfect number.

My keepers are my KoAloha concert that was the birthday gift from my mom, my aNueNue Moon Bird concert, a recently acquired KoAloha Special Issue long neck soprano, and a new Blackbird Clara. The KoAloho concert & the Moon Bird have pick-ups for playing at church & open mic, and they each have a totally different sound. The long neck soprano gives me that unique soprano sound. The Blackbird Clara will be my travel/camping/outdoor play uke.

If I could only grab one, it would be the KoAloha concert. Special sound & special because it was a gift from my mom. Although leaving my Moon Bird behind would break my heart.

bobhost
05-03-2019, 03:11 AM
There is a formula that perfectly describes the number of ukuleles you MUST have.
number = n + 1
where n is the number of ukuleles you currently have.