NUD: Kanile‘a Pineapple Tenor

YogiTom

Reaction score
51650952-89A1-4D56-9F02-61ABA9D01614.jpg30B13960-19B8-43B5-BE7F-DA100F6AF298.jpgC6EABCB8-4EBC-4B37-A255-ED676629885C.jpg81A08ADF-635A-4D3E-B588-826AF7A64AE2.jpgCD568759-24D4-4403-9A69-D9216AFFBB85.jpg

I’ve been absolutely awful at posting these, and am finally finding some time each day to devote to more things ukulele. And today, it was time to post impressions of this lovely instrument.

I’m a sucker for the contrasting sap/heartwood found in koa, and when I saw and heard it for sale at HMS, it was UAS driven love at first sight. 24 hours later, and I’ve committed.

I’ve had some time to get used to playing it, and all I can say is “wow.” The build is incredibly light, making me forget when I pick it up that it is indeed a tenor-sized body. The feel is...soft? If that at all makes sense. Very easy to cradle, especially with the beveled armrest.

The front and back are book matched and are clearly from cuts of the same piece of koa; the grain pattern and sap/heartwood match so perfectly. The sides are also very well matched. I could be mistaken, but the neck seems to be a solid piece of wood. I can’t find any joints at the headstock or heel. Beautiful curl and wavy grain that shimmers as it moves in the light.

As for playing, I absolutely love picking this up. Resonance in spades, it feels almost like the entire body is humming with each strum or pick. The sustain is fantastic, and the dynamic range is unlike any other uke I’ve played (admittedly not nearly as many as others here!). While the fretboard is flat, the neck is thin and wide in a flat-D shape, making barre chords extremely comfortable.

This ukulele also ticked off a lot of firsts for me, and I think I quite like the appointments on this build:

• Satin finished neck: feels amazingly smooth to move around on the neck.
• Slotted headstock/stealth tuners: love the look and profile. I almost forget the tuners exist when not in use.
• Pineapple body: I really wasn’t expecting to enjoy the shape as much as I do!
• Side sound hole: love the added volume, and the pineapple shape is a fun touch
• Pin bridge: have yet to change the strings, so I can’t really judge yet. I will say I like the clean look of not seeing excess string or loops/knots.

I still haven’t put together a good way to record and post sound samples (I’m sure a few minutes searching the forums would help), but there’s a much better sample than I could ever play in the HMS listing here: https://www.theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-limited-edition-pineapple-koa-tenor-platinum-2019-21017.html

Perhaps unsurprisingly to folks here, this did not stop my UAS. I ended up with three more ukuleles since this arrived, and have been putting together my first custom build.

Until that custom build, though, I think I’ll be pretty damn happy playing this sweet pineapple. I’ll get a sound sample up when possible. :shaka:

Beautiful instrument, You can’t beat well thought out and well crafted ukuleles. Congratulations!

Would that be an example of compression curl?

I just read the term for the first time a couple of days ago.

New term to me, but I’d believe it. Not sure what else would cause the grain to do that.

Beautiful instrument, You can’t beat well thought out and well crafted ukuleles. Congratulations!

Thank you! I’m still in awe of the build quality. Perhaps the one downside for this being my first Kanile‘a is that has probably ruined the rest of the lineup for me...

Lesson learned for my first KoAloha: start with the Opio and go from there. :rolleyes:

Very pretty and I’m a sucker for pineapples ��. How are you adapting to the wider neck? Myself, I need to stretch my stubby chubby fingers to the max.

Very pretty and I’m a sucker for pineapples ��. How are you adapting to the wider neck? Myself, I need to stretch my stubby chubby fingers to the max.

It has taken getting used to, but the thinner profile/depth and flatter back on the neck make it incredibly comfortable to play. I should say, I cramp up on anything smaller than 1-3/8”, so the extra room on this is quite welcome.

The one thing I have noticed is that it takes me longer to get comfortable with my other ukuleles after I’ve been playing this one for any extended periods.

Finally recorded a sample! I plan to do a few more as I try out different string sets. I don’t like the feel of the thick Aquilas, but love the rich and deep tone they give. My only gripe is it is a bit too guitar sounding for what I want out of a ukulele.

Not mentioned in the video, but remembered as I was uploading: the back has a very gentle radius to it, which likely also adds to the wonderful resonance and sustain.

Finally recorded a sample! I plan to do a few more as I try out different string sets. I don’t like the feel of the thick Aquilas, but love the rich and deep tone they give. My only gripe is it is a bit too guitar sounding for what I want out of a ukulele.

Not mentioned in the video, but remembered as I was uploading: the back has a very gentle radius to it, which likely also adds to the wonderful resonance and sustain.

I love that sound! But then I love that guitar sound! My goodness, it's just spectacular! Beautiful uke.

PS. Hi Pepper <3 Beautiful cat

I love that sound! But then I love that guitar sound! My goodness, it's just spectacular! Beautiful uke.

PS. Hi Pepper <3 Beautiful cat

Thanks! And Pepper is a sweetheart. I was worried when she hopped up onto her cat tree behind the stand I was recording on that she would start "singing" along (read: yelling at me for not petting her). Thankfully she just wanted to stare out the window. :)

That's beautiful, and I like that pineapple sound port.

It is a simple, but neat touch that doesn't feel too kitschy. I have similar feelings about the unique pineapple take on the traditional Kanile'a "K" inlay in the headstock.

For me it checks the two biggest boxes: I love the way it plays and I love the way it looks. :) :shaka:

Thanks! And Pepper is a sweetheart. I was worried when she hopped up onto her cat tree behind the stand I was recording on that she would start "singing" along (read: yelling at me for not petting her). Thankfully she just wanted to stare out the window. :)

Haha, I have a cat too, love them :D would have loved to hear her "singing" along!

That sapwood section is like the EYE OF SAURON!! Of course you can save yourself by sending it to me. Lol...
Beautiful!

That sapwood section is like the EYE OF SAURON!! Of course you can save yourself by sending it to me. Lol...
Beautiful!

Lol! I hadn’t quite considered the evil power of the sapwood...sinful perhaps? To me it feels just the right amount of cheeky. :p

Top Bottom