Robert Johnson

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Our uke leader told us the story of Robert Johnson, great blues guitar player from the early 20th century. He was a mediocre player who disappeared for about a year. When he returned, he played like a master, and people said that he owed his talent to the devil. Johnson maintained that myth. He died (was murdered) at the age of 27, and was probably for first member of then "27 Club," great musicians who died when they were 27.

Netflix has a very good documentary about his short life.

As an aside, "Robert Johnson" is such a common name that there is a Robert Johnson Club. When they get together, they don't need name tags. :)

So the legend goes.
Some argue that the legend is about another blues payer altogether yet the fundamental principle of the tale of selling your soul to the Devil for ability has a grain of truth.

What it means is this. You will forsake EVERYTHING else in your life for musical talent and you will practice and practice and practice. You will never be quite happy with where you are at and you will always be pushing yourself to be better and better.

Back in the days when coloured people had to work VERY hard in the fields then finding the time to practice so much was quite a thing.

Last edited:
A short and not-so well documented life, a limited recorded output (he alledgedly played a lot more than blues), a remarkable virtuosity and a huge influence on blues rockers of the 1970s...

On a sidenote, the late Bob Brozman had interesting things to say about the man. According to Brozman Johnson was a second generation blues guitarist, who picked up a lot of blues songs, riffs, chord structures, lyrics from radio and records rather then by direct contact with the first generation players - hence the 'jump' in his playing skills. He did act mysterious, refusing to reveal his sources, tunings and techniques. The 'devil at the crossroads' thing emerged a full two decades after his death, is a bit based on his Crossroads song and then translated into films about his life. But the trope of selling your soul to the devil for musical skills goes back to 16th century Faust-stories and was widely told about ace violinist Niccolo Paganini.

This must be the inspiration of the Tommy Johnson character in “Oh Brother Where Art Thou”

Think of any top guitarist today and they will either directly or indirectly have been influenced by Robert Johnson.

This must be the inspiration of the Tommy Johnson character in “Oh Brother Where Art Thou”

Tommy Johnson was a real Delta blues musician, unrelated to Robert Johnson. It was Tommy Johnson that claimed to have sold his soul to the devil, but over the years the story came to be associated with Robert Johnson, in part because of the latter's songs (Crossroads, Me and the Devil Blues, Hellhound on My Trail).

Tommy Johnson was a real Delta blues musician, unrelated to Robert Johnson. It was Tommy Johnson that claimed to have sold his soul to the devil, but over the years the story came to be associated with Robert Johnson, in part because of the latter's songs (Crossroads, Me and the Devil Blues, Hellhound on My Trail).

Sounds like the makings of a Oh Brother Where Art Thou sequel! Hahaha!

There's also an old drama movie from the 80s called crossroads that's about blues and making a deal with the devil. When I watched it I really liked it, but that was a long time ago...https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0090888/

Just say no to the devil......Johnson is just one of a couple of old dead blues guys and gals that have had a great influence on the popular music we have heard since the 1950's or so......

The Reverend Gary Davis! If you don't know who he is and you are into the blues you had better find out.....

I also like Memphis Minnie......and Ma Rainey for the women blues performers....

There are others as well but start with these folks and see what happens...

Now if I could just play my ukulele with the level of skill that the Rev. Gary Davis plays his Gibson....I will have died and gone to heaven.....

Well, I'll be 70 sometime this year. If I go to the crossroads and make a "deal" does that mean I'll pass away at 27 and therefore not live long enough to make the deal this year. Seems like I'm doomed to be just the player I already am. :(

So this Robert Johnson is not Shakespeare’s lutist?
UOoGB did a program with Theatre of the Ayr about these two musicians and the similarities of there music!
Re: Memphis Minnie, Del Rey is an acknowledged expert on her and her music. Del plays a mean steel reso guitar
+1 on Rev Gary Davis
H

Top Bottom