PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest Situation you have experienced with your ukulele

specialmike
05-26-2009, 06:19 PM
With Weshwee's post about playing nude, it got me thinking about some other situations.

Where/what is the weirdest place/oddest situation/most unorthodox occasion that you played your ukulele in.

Like... being naked, after a shower, with towels on, or something.

I've got to say I've tried to learn a song on the loo because uhhhh.... it was time for a new lesson; My girl :) :rofl: (not with my koaloha)

I learned it. Done deal. haha
Disgusting? Yes. TMI, most likely.

How about you?:music:

psesinkclee
05-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Hmm..

-In the rain
-On the top viewing deck of the Eiffel Tower
-In a castle in Austria
-In an abandoned warehouse in North France
-Quite often on the toilet while getting business done
-In an Organic Chemistry II lecture
-From the roof of a dormitory on campus (snuck up there one day :p)
-In the back of an airplane entertaining some air hostesses on a long flight to S.Africa
-On the back seat of a tandem bicycle while riding through town
-In a supermarket while wearing a panda constume
-On the roof of a strip mall
-In a NYC subway car/platform

.. and I can't think of any others at the moment

bornagainjeeper
05-26-2009, 06:51 PM
not THAT weird..but before my gig at the winery (the one featured) i was walking in with my ukes, passed a table, and the people were like "HEY WHATS THAT..." explained to them and said "sit down and play, we arn't staying til the music starts...so i played, and they handed me some big bucks...i tried some grace and talked them down to 10 dollars and they finally excepted....i guess they were impressed enough to stay...

PS> i play my crappy ukes on the john all the time, not to mention a million bubble baths...yeah i'm a girly

haole
05-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Busted it out as soon as I got off a plane from NY to Arizona, and played it in the car on the way out of the airport parking lot.

And hiked from Koloa to Po'ipu and then up to Lawa'i strumming the whole time. :D

cpatch
05-26-2009, 09:06 PM
-in a supermarket while wearing a panda constume
ftw. .

ukantor
05-26-2009, 09:16 PM
In the waiting room at the cancer clinic, waiting to be called for radiotherapy. That raised a few smiles.

Ukantor.

ichadwick
05-27-2009, 03:53 AM
... mine was bringing home my dozenth ukulele and not having my wife remove from me some body parts of which I have grown fond...

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Hmm..

-In a supermarket while wearing a panda constume

More info on this one, plz! :D

Uke Republic
05-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Bathroom accoustics along with good humidity levels seem like a great place to practice.I don't know the affects of the high concentration of methane gas though. Poo-poolele:eek:

Bratset
05-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Not that wierd, but I was waiting for some friends, and I sat outside a church. While I waited I played a bit.. When I stared to play I'm yours a couple of old women that walked by started singing it :p
Was a bit surprised that people 70+ knew the lyrics of that one :p
But I am counting on mych better stories to tell in the future!

hoosierhiver
05-27-2009, 04:48 AM
I was in a train in rural Thailand, the train was stopped and waiting for another train to pass in the opposite direction. A woman came by selling drinks and beer. I ended up playing ukulele for over an hour while everyone waited and had several beers bought for me. It was really fun.

specialmike
05-27-2009, 04:58 AM
In the waiting room at the cancer clinic, waiting to be called for radiotherapy. That raised a few smiles.

Ukantor.

nice.:cool:

SailQwest
05-27-2009, 06:00 AM
At Walt Disney World—Hollywood Studios playing "I Will Survive" with Bucky Greenwald (one of the Disney cast) breakdancing as I played.

Bratset
05-27-2009, 06:47 AM
At Walt Disney World—Hollywood Studios playing "I Will Survive" with Bucky Greenwald (one of the Disney cast) breakdancing as I played.

hehe that nice!

Pueo
05-27-2009, 06:55 AM
And hiked from Koloa to Po'ipu and then up to Lawa'i strumming the whole time. :D

Did you eat at Mark's Place when you got to Lawai? So ono!

NatalieS
05-27-2009, 07:06 AM
If my bird is having a hyper screaming fit, I'll sit near his cage and start fingerpicking on the uke. It takes a few seconds but he ends up converting his yells to a quiet whistle while he hops from branch to branch. It works every time!

specialmike
05-27-2009, 07:08 AM
If my bird is having a hyper screaming fit, I'll sit near his cage and start fingerpicking on the uke. It takes a few seconds but he ends up converting his yells to a quiet whistle while he hops from branch to branch. It works every time!

the bird tamer, coming to a pet store near you. :)

bbycrts
05-27-2009, 09:25 AM

NatalieS - Bird whisperer...(I almost wrote "bird plucker" since you're plucking the strings...but I realized that has terrible implications for a bird - though some pretty good implications for dinner...)

rossjr
05-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Sadly, my experience level has left me only with two:

1) Taking Ukulele lessons in the Lahaina Cannery Mall in front of 20 or so people.

2) Practicing with the TCUO in a Coffee Shop in Minneapolis weekly. It's a good place to learn and have fun. This is where I do my best Milly Vanilly....

russ_buss
05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I was in a train in rural Thailand, the train was stopped and waiting for another train to pass in the opposite direction. A woman came by selling drinks and beer. I ended up playing ukulele for over an hour while everyone waited and had several beers bought for me. It was really fun.

like the pied piper, he is. great story Mike!

Ahnko Honu
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I had a LARGE kakaroach (cockroach) crawl out of my ukulele once. Does that count?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/GIFs/COCKROACH.gif

specialmike
05-27-2009, 10:32 AM
I had a LARGE kakaroach (cockroach) crawl out of my ukulele once. Does that count?

dude... that doesn't sound good. Do cockroaches eat wood?

Ahnko Honu
05-27-2009, 10:36 AM
dude... that doesn't sound good. Do cockroaches eat wood?

Nah, they just like to hide in dark places. They're not welcome in my 'ukulele though, they pilau. :mad:

cent
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
almost a year ago, i was crossing the border from peru to bolivia. on the peruvian side of the border my friend got searched, so i was waiting for her outside where the custom officials were searching her. i was waiting for her to make sure they didn't give her any problems. well the officials spotted me too and they wanted to search my belongings as well. they asked me to play my ukulele. well, i couldn't say no to them. for me, it was a weird situation because they were authority figures. i was just hoping that they weren't going to rob me or worse, like whip out some rubber gloves. talk about performance anxiety! needless to say, i think i played horribly enough that they didn't want me stick around and play some more for them and we were on our way. thank goodness.

it would kind of be like a police officer stopping you, then asking you to play a song on your ukulele. weird.

Bratset
05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
almost a year ago, i was crossing the border from peru to bolivia. on the peruvian side of the border my friend got searched, so i was waiting for her outside where the custom officials were searching her. i was waiting for her to make sure they didn't give her any problems. well the officials spotted me too and they wanted to search my belongings as well. they asked me to play my ukulele. well, i couldn't say no to them. for me, it was a weird situation because they were authority figures. i was just hoping that they weren't going to rob me or worse, like whip out some rubber gloves. talk about performance anxiety! needless to say, i think i played horribly enough that they didn't want me stick around and play some more for them and we were on our way. thank goodness.

it would kind of be like a police officer stopping you, then asking you to play a song on your ukulele. weird.

heheh that's knida cool

SailQwest
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Last summer, we spent a lot of time in a marina in Puerto Rico in a slip next to a police boat.

The police came and went at all times of the day and night, and occasionally commented about our uke playing (which we do at all times of the day and night). Fortunately, most of them liked it. Or at least they smiled and said, "Bueno."

We just smiled back and said, "Gracias."

cpatch
05-27-2009, 11:26 AM
I had a TSA security officer question me about my uke case at the airport in New York once and ask me to open it. He seemed more interested in what it was and in the instrument itself than in whether or not it posed a security risk. Fortunately for both of us he didn't ask me to play it!

Atomsk
05-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Hmm..

-In an Organic Chemistry II lecture

I'm interested in this story and how it turned out. :p

josuegroundhog
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
I posted mine but the Mods deemed it inappropriate. :(

I'll try to get a cleaned up version approved before I post it here.

Uncle-Taco
05-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I had a TSA security officer question me about my uke case at the airport in New York once and ask me to open it. He seemed more interested in what it was and in the instrument itself than in whether or not it posed a security risk. Fortunately for both of us he didn't ask me to play it!

I didn't make out quite that well.
I went through security with my harmonica case once. It contained about 36 harps in stacked plastic trays, an anti-feedback box, a bullet mic, and a cable.

...which, on X-ray looks like gun clips and a bomb!

After they searched the heck out of me and my stuff and swabbed each harmonica, they MADE ME PLAY EACH ONE.

Back on topic: I got into playing uke BECAUSE my guitar was too big to play on the throne. :o

nikolo727
05-27-2009, 01:54 PM

HAHA! you always make me laugh :D

as for playing in weird places I have a few:

on the toilet
naked
sidewalk in NYC.

and this really weird time(before super bowl xl) that a kid from my youth group dared me to order my food at mcdonalds while singing and playing the uke, dressed up as a pittsburgh steeler fan complete in all gold clothes and a giant steeler cowboy hat. after I got kicked out i stayed on the sidewalk and people passed me in cars screaming,"GO SEAHAWKS". they were just upset that they knew doom was coming to their team. :p

SamWise
05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Ukulele? Well, I'm new to it, so I guess it stops at things like naked on the patio with friends in the sunshine (yeah, it happens that way at my house!), and sitting in my car in the car park of Norfolk County Council, where I would later be coaching senior managers.

Guitar adventures, though, have included playing for Iranian bus mechanics, who then wouldn't let me pay for the work they'd just done fitting a mirror, and entertaining Pakistani guards at a petrol station, who were armed with shotguns. It was midnight, and we would NOT have been safe there without them. Later, the evening dissolved into feats of physical prowess and stupidity, with various acrobatic flips and throws being demonstrated by both sides, which culminated in a contest to see who could make a standing jump over a "charpoi" rope bed turned on its end. Turns out, none of us could! Oh, and I played for about 20 members of an Iranian aquaintances family after we were invited to their Eid ul Hazzar celebration. There's more, I'm sure there is!

HelloDisaster
05-28-2009, 04:45 AM
hmm i played for a friend to get a snowcone, which i got then i proceeded to hang out and try to get people to buy snowcones, the model UN on campus was selling them for something, which is funny as neither my friend or myself were in it, we were just hanging out

and on the same day i also attempted to teach someone, it was kind of a success

i think the people selling the snowcones were more interested in the uke than the ones we were trying to get to buy them.... it was a fun day though

ukuleletim
05-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I am interested in the Panda costume as well. I would think you could 'bearly' play a chord.