Harp Ukulele Build / Poplar for Ukuleles

Sam.R.B

Reaction score
Long time lurker here, thought I'd stick my foot in the water since my builds have started getting serious this year. I've been trying to make my builds more professional and cleaner looking (inside and out). So I've been using a lot of poplar, since its dirt cheap, and easy to work with. After I finished the first build (Pineapple), I was pleasantly surprised with how well it sounds and how loud it is.

So that brings me to my next build, which I want to make is a 8 string harp ukulele. Since this is my first attempt, it'd be really simple, all poplar, mahogany neck, with walnut bridge and fret board. So far I've made the form and got the sides bent.

I'm not sure how consistent these updates will be, especially as the school year comes to an end.

View attachment 117641

View attachment 117642

Sam:
Welcome to the forum.
That is quite a leap to a harp uke. Looking forward to how it turns out.

Last edited:
Wow the pineapple looks great. The Harp Ukulele is my dream uke. Perhaps you could reach out to Luthiers who've built Harp Ukuleles for suggestions. I do agree with this being quite a leap but admire your exuberance. Good going and great start

All the best with this. I built my first, to be one of three harp ukulele, 10 years ago... not an easy task. I think I still have one left in me that just might be in my Revelator electro ukulele style...

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this thread. I googled "harp ukulele" and now I'm fascinated by the subject....

Best of luck on this build. I would love to get more information on how the basic uke design needs to change to accommodate the tension from the extra strings.

What tension? You have a huge 'triangulated' box that is as stiff as any neck to support the strings. Strategic bracing is much more important as is a tie port in th extension arm. There is bait of skill in the design of the 'arm' so the strings don't stand proud of the edge.

What tension? You have a huge 'triangulated' box that is as stiff as any neck to support the strings. Strategic bracing is much more important as is a tie port in th extension arm. There is bait of skill in the design of the 'arm' so the strings don't stand proud of the edge.

I was thinking about the tension of the strings on the bridge. What "strategic bracing" is needed, and where? Is the bridge reinforcement plate thicker than normal? Is the sound board thicker?

Top Bottom