These are a few a my favorite things

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
These are a few of my favorite things

Mary Poppins said it best........THESE are a few of my favorite things. Edit, I was just corrected it was Julie Andrews in the sound of music. Yes the pain meds seemed to have scrambled my brain Kathryn

20190503_161005.jpg20190503_162039.jpg20190503_162809.jpg

I won't be playing for a long time while rehabbing my left hand but these are lovely to just look at. The cedar top on the right and the redwood top in the middle smell wonderful. I am working on memorizing new finger picking patterns and that helps pass the time,

Last edited:
Please let us know who are the luthiers of your favorite things? I've guessed I'iwi for the 3 sounds port, but I'm unsure for the Selmer/Maccaferri and the cedar Slotted head with a comfort edge?
Thanks

Sounds like you're keeping busy during your rehab. Learning new stuff will help the time pass until you're on the strings again.. I know what you mean about the smell. Every time I open the case of my cedar top uke I take in a deep whiff of it's wonderful aroma.

My guess.....LdfM on the left, I'iwi in the center, and I'm not sure about the one on the right.

Thanks, yes that's an I'iwi in the middle with redwood and walnut, big, resonant, sustaining guitar like tone. It sounds great plugged in and played amplified live on stage. The other two are both LfdM. The macaferri style on the left is my first LfdM, sitka spruce and amazon rosewood, still my best sounding instrument. Many have come through my house in the 4 years since I commissioned it, this is the one I would rescue if the house was on fire.

The one on the right is a very special custom that Luis the builder and I designed, a 19" super tenor from sinker cedar and curly myrtle. I wanted something specifically for B or Bb tuning so he made the body deeper and tweaked the bracing. I have had it about six month and was thrilled with it in B tuning but I had to experiment. With a concoction of strings it is now tuned E, A, C#, F#, which is one step up from baritone DGBE tuning. A friend who really dislikes linear tuning and wound string played it and wouldn't put it down so mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Glad you’re still enjoying your favorite instruments, even if you can’t play them for a while. That’s quite a trio!
Continue healing, hope you recover fast.

Glad that you at least get to enjoy looking at (and smelling) some beautiful ukuleles.
I hope that you'll be able to play them again soon. Take good care of yourself while you heal.

Mary Poppins said it best........THESE are a few of my favorite things. Edit, I was just corrected it was Julie Andrews in the sound of music. Yes the pain meds seemed to have scrambled my brain Kathryn

View attachment 117656View attachment 117657View attachment 117658

I won't be playing for a long time while rehabbing my left hand but these are lovely to just look at. The cedar top on the right and the redwood top in the middle smell wonderful. I am working on memorizing new finger picking patterns and that helps pass the time,

Quite a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious group of ukuleles you have there.

John

Great looking gaggle of instruments.

Don't forget, a spoonful of sugar makes you hyperactive, and the medicine go down...

Slow and steady towards a full recovery.

The one on the right is a very special custom that Luis the builder and I designed, a 19" super tenor from sinker cedar and curly myrtle. I wanted something specifically for B or Bb tuning so he made the body deeper and tweaked the bracing. I have had it about six month and was thrilled with it in B tuning but I had to experiment. With a concoction of strings it is now tuned E, A, C#, F#, which is one step up from baritone DGBE tuning. A friend who really dislikes linear tuning and wound string played it and wouldn't put it down so mission accomplished.

What string combo did you end up using? I'm still trying to find the right set. My favorite for 19" scale in Bb tuning was Southcoast but I haven't been able to find anything similar since Dirk's passing.

Thanks for showing off these beauties!
Feel better.

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments

What string combo did you end up using? I'm still trying to find the right set. My favorite for 19" scale in Bb tuning was Southcoast but I haven't been able to find anything similar since Dirk's passing.

I had good results in B tuning with Freemont Soloist on #4, Thomastik CF27 on #3 and Oasis florocarbons warms on #2 & #1 position. As I said above I actually have it tuned done to E, A, C#, F# which is one step up from baritone tuning DGBE with different strings now

Last edited:
Top Bottom