Thoughts on a new ukulele

I just ordered a blue soprano outdoor ukulele with gold tuners. What are your thoughts on this ukulele.

We almost bought the same ukulele multiple times. Ultimately I purchased the Martin 0X for my grandson. My concern about the Outdoor was that the action could not be adjusted and the ukelele is for a 9 year old. That being said all the reviews said the Outdoor has excellent action.

There are many excellent video reviews of this ukulele and I posted a few below

https://youtu.be/iDymGjh_Z0c

https://youtu.be/dxsaC6ah3GI

https://youtu.be/J5DnI8tsWGQ

Outdoor Ukulele Soprano. Good action low-maintenance durable polycarbonate ukulele

As a beginner I was caught up in trying out diffrernt strings, different scales, different ukuleles. Still a beginner I chose the Outdoor Soprano. Plays real nice and sounds good too. I prefer the soprano sound and soprano scale.

The soprano also travels great on airplanes. I put it in a regular backpack and it fits under the seat in front. Good choice

For me, in order to be happy with the outdoor uke, it was essential to judge it by its own criteria. If your point of reference is a Martin or a Jay Lichty custom tenor, then the outdoor uke is quite an etiolated comparison. However, if you embrace its punchy, clipped tone and its idiosyncratic sound, then it is possible to be happy with it when you take a bath and lay it across your belly to pick some Lydian modes.

When I first played an outdoor uke, the G major chord just sounded wrong although all the strings were in tune. This was vexing until I stopped judging. Once I accepted the ukulele's voice, it was easy to just have fun with it and enjoy its durability.

For me, in order to be happy with the outdoor uke, it was essential to judge it by its own criteria. If your point of reference is a Martin or a Jay Lichty custom tenor, then the outdoor uke is quite an etiolated comparison. However, if you embrace its punchy, clipped tone and its idiosyncratic sound, then it is possible to be happy with it when you take a bath and lay it across your belly to pick some Lydian modes.
Thanks for introducing me to the word "etiolated". I like that. :cool:
But "no thanks" for the bathtub image. :stop: :rulez: :rofl:

I briefly owned one and there was a lot to like about it. The sound and intonation was way better than the Waterman. Ultimately, I just figured out I'm not a plastic ukulele kind of guy.

I briefly owned one and there was a lot to like about it. The sound and intonation was way better than the Waterman. Ultimately, I just figured out I'm not a plastic ukulele kind of guy.

Enjoy your Outdoor Soprano.

We're very happy with the Martin 0X which is HPL. It should be noted that it is about 3 times the cost of Outdoor Ukulele. We had wanted a somewhat indestructible ukulele. The Outdoor is way more indestructible. Originally the ukulele was to go to my grandson's mom's house where his little sister is. But when my grandson saw the Martin he named it Blue and he keeps where he spends more time which is at his dad's. So now we still need a ukulele for his mom's. Our research continues and will also include a pink ukulele for his sister. BTW she's 2-1/2. Perhaps the Outdoor will become part of the "family." :)

The outdoor ukulele fills a niche and a need. It's a pleasant and fun little uke. Enjoy it.

It is an outdoor ukulele. Its not made to play indoors. Hang it up with the raincoats in hallway or vestibule and take it outside to play when you go outside. It will always struggle to compete with well made solid wood instruments indoors, but you usually need to do a lot of work to take them outside into the rain and sun, and they need a heavy case as well.
Its probably not the best choice for a child who has just started, but it could be an excellent choice for an adolescent person who has been taking lessons for a year or so, when they go to camp or do arduous outdoor activities.
A lot of people who play music think that anything less than a 5 star hotel is camping and they have no idea about an outdoor lifestyle, they probably will never understand the full potential of an OU. If you have never been hiking or camping or on a motorbike or push bike tour, you will never understand the true value of an OU. I would recommend against buying one if you are going to keep it inside all the time.

That was exactly my problem, I don't bring a uke on my push bike tours. Combination of performance anxiety and lack of singing/repertoire.

Top Bottom