PDA

View Full Version : Rare Bird - new Timms uke with BIN

Ukecaster
05-05-2019, 05:14 AM
Something you don't see every day on eBay, a brand new Timms soprano with Buy It Now (BIN). Usually they are straight auctions, with no BIN capability. A pretty penny to be sure, but if you just gotta have one... a Cuban beauty to be sure.

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 273834225767

kerneltime
05-05-2019, 05:18 AM
His previous batch did not go this high.. this around $50 to $100 more than the bids..

Jddewitt81
05-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Good for him. He deserves to make money. He gave them away long enough.

glennerd
05-05-2019, 07:00 AM
My UAS has gone into (temporary?) remission and that's just something I didn't need to know! Wow, a little out of my price range, but very tempting. I'd make the stretch if I was ready to buy. Good for him for getting a good price on it.

rainbow21
05-05-2019, 08:37 AM
"Buy It Now" no longer in effect with three bids on it.

ukantor
05-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Auction ends today. Get your bids in! £572 when I last looked. It's worth every penny.

John Colter.

glennerd
05-10-2019, 05:31 AM
And now its gone for £605 to some lucky uker. Anyone here? :)

smc1107
05-10-2019, 06:23 AM
Yes, indeed, glennerd!
Really excited about this purchase and want to thank everyone on this forum who has been a part of the Timms fan club. Here's why:
With no background in stringed instruments (I'm a saxophone player and my wife a flute player - both back in our youth), my wife and I purchased an inexpensive Lanikai ukulele *years* ago to have an instrument around that our (then very) little ones would feel comfortable picking up and playing as a sort of introduction to instruments. Something we could have around the house without worrying about its cost if it got knocked or bumped. Fast forward about 8 years and my daughter and I are taking "daddy-daughter" lessons together now for several months. I'm still playing on that Lanikai. While I'm a *very* long way from being a good player worthy of a fine instrument, once I got the bug for upgrading, I dove deep down the hole of learning about various brands, builds, luthiers, etc. I spent many hours watching Bazz's reviews, reading on this forum, etc. I quickly fell in love with the artistry and craftsmanship of ukuleles and focused on purchasing a luthier built ukulele. While I'd love a Hawaiian built (maybe someday), I'm also keen to support solo craftsmen whenever possible. So when I saw the Timms on eBay this past week, I jumped in!
I'm well aware this instrument is above where I am as a player, but hope to grow into it. I'll appreciate it for all the right reasons as I do, and again thank everyone on this forum for their engagement and insights - many of us read and follow along without engaging (and big props to Bazz - love his site!).
Scott

And now its gone for £605 to some lucky uker. Anyone here? :)

Ukecaster
05-10-2019, 07:47 AM
Congrats & you are worthy of that beauty, and I imagine you'll treasure it forever.

kerneltime
05-10-2019, 07:52 AM
Congrats! Sorry for jacking up the price for you.. we were bidding towards the end.. I wanted to try another Ken Timms to check the variation in the sound and sell one of them..
Would love to see a New Uke Day (NUD) post from you!

smc1107
05-10-2019, 08:23 AM
Ha, love it! All good. My understanding is that a Timms uke is well worth every dollar, and I think we all feel good knowing a craftsman receives value for their work!
I'll be glad to post once I have it in hand! And now, seeing your footer with your impressive collection of ukes, I'm a bit embarrassed of my modest list of a Lanikai from Amazon circa 2011, but am happy to be upgrading it with a Timms!

Congrats! Sorry for jacking up the price for you.. we were bidding towards the end.. I wanted to try another Ken Timms to check the variation in the sound and sell one of them..
Would love to see a New Uke Day (NUD) post from you!

kerneltime
05-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Ha, love it! All good. My understanding is that a Timms uke is well worth every dollar, and I think we all feel good knowing a craftsman receives value for their work!
I'll be glad to post once I have it in hand! And now, seeing your footer with your impressive collection of ukes, I'm a bit embarrassed of my modest list of a Lanikai from Amazon circa 2011, but am happy to be upgrading it with a Timms!
Don’t make me feel guilty for my UAS.. ;-) we all begin somewhere.. I got hooked on a Makala Dolphin..

glennerd
05-10-2019, 10:04 AM
Yes, indeed, glennerd!
Really excited about this purchase and want to thank everyone on this forum who has been a part of the Timms fan club. Here's why:
With no background in stringed instruments (I'm a saxophone player and my wife a flute player - both back in our youth), my wife and I purchased an inexpensive Lanikai ukulele *years* ago to have an instrument around that our (then very) little ones would feel comfortable picking up and playing as a sort of introduction to instruments. Something we could have around the house without worrying about its cost if it got knocked or bumped. Fast forward about 8 years and my daughter and I are taking "daddy-daughter" lessons together now for several months. I'm still playing on that Lanikai. While I'm a *very* long way from being a good player worthy of a fine instrument, once I got the bug for upgrading, I dove deep down the hole of learning about various brands, builds, luthiers, etc. I spent many hours watching Bazz's reviews, reading on this forum, etc. I quickly fell in love with the artistry and craftsmanship of ukuleles and focused on purchasing a luthier built ukulele. While I'd love a Hawaiian built (maybe someday), I'm also keen to support solo craftsmen whenever possible. So when I saw the Timms on eBay this past week, I jumped in!
I'm well aware this instrument is above where I am as a player, but hope to grow into it. I'll appreciate it for all the right reasons as I do, and again thank everyone on this forum for their engagement and insights - many of us read and follow along without engaging (and big props to Bazz - love his site!).
Scott

Hey, that's awesome! And for the record, despite being tempted to bid, I wasn't one of the ones driving up the price! :p

smc1107
05-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Thanks. And no worries! While I don't expect to part with this instrument anytime soon, I expect they are well worth the price, likely to be in low supply and high demand for some time, and was prepared with a higher bid were it necessary! :)
Will be curious to see how forthcoming Timms eBay auctions go!
Really nice to "meet" you all and thanks for sharing in the fun of the day!

Hey, that's awesome! And for the record, despite being tempted to bid, I wasn't one of the ones driving up the price! :p

CommonCurt
05-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Something you don't see every day on eBay, a brand new Timms soprano with Buy It Now (BIN). Usually they are straight auctions, with no BIN capability. A pretty penny to be sure, but if you just gotta have one... a Cuban beauty to be sure.

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 273834225767

By the time I saw it there was no BIN option, or I would have probably jumped on it.
I have been wanting a Timms more and more.

What was the BIN price before it was taken down?

rainbow21
05-10-2019, 04:03 PM
Believe it might have been 600 pounds, close to winnng bid price

ukantor
05-10-2019, 07:30 PM
Congratulations, smc1107! I'm sure you are going to love your new acquisition. As the proud owner of two Timms ukes, I know how special they are.

John Colter.

smc1107
05-11-2019, 05:28 AM
It is indeed! And for a Buy It Now price I’d have gladly paid in the last auction - but by the time I saw the listing it already had enough bids that BIN was no longer an option. Since that’s basically where last one wound up, seems a good option for anyone interested in acquiring a Timms!

The TimmsBrag. After following the Timms posts over the Northern Winter its good to see such a good result.
While you are reading this, the next Timms Uke may be listed on eBay.

rainbow21
05-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Price is near 3 Ks territory. How do they compare?

kerneltime
05-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Price is near 3 Ks territory. How do they compare?
Ken is trying to replicate vintage Martin and it is the closest to that. 3Ks (Hawaiian K brands) are different than the vintage Martin sound..

Ukecaster
05-11-2019, 09:19 AM
The TimmsBrag. After following the Timms posts over the Northern Winter its good to see such a good result.
While you are reading this, the next Timms Uke may be listed on eBay.

And...they're off!

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 273841959829

glennerd
05-11-2019, 05:22 PM
And...they're off!

Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F 273841959829

Well, this should be fun. One of these days I may get reeled in myself if Ken keeps making them! I don't really want to spend that kind of money on a uke, but if I did(do?) it would be one of his.

smc1107
05-12-2019, 01:41 PM
Picking up on an earlier comment/question, I'm curious too! For those of you who know and/or have played a Timms and one (or more) of the three Ks, how does the vintage Martin (Timms) sound compare to the Hawaiian built (three Ks)?
Just curious!
Thanks!

kerneltime
05-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Picking up on an earlier comment/question, I'm curious too! For those of you who know and/or have played a Timms and one (or more) of the three Ks, how does the vintage Martin (Timms) sound compare to the Hawaiian built (three Ks)?
Just curious!
Thanks!
Dig through YouTube for vintage Martin sound.. and HMS for 3 K sopranos. Between the 3 K itself the sound varies.. there is no clear answer for such questions.

Nickie
05-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Congratulations Scott!

Jerryc41
05-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Yes, indeed, glennerd!
Really excited about this purchase and want to thank everyone on this forum who has been a part of the Timms fan club.
Scott

Congratulations on getting a beautiful instrument.

kerneltime
05-16-2019, 04:53 AM
The next one headed my way.. very eager to compare the woods and the variation.

Ukecaster
05-16-2019, 05:13 AM
Congrats! Sales of these Cuban mahogany beauties have gone well!

glennerd
05-16-2019, 05:42 AM
Congrats! Sales of these Cuban mahogany beauties have gone well!

Yeah, it was interesting. Bidders seemed to be holding off until the end on this one. I thought this one was going to go lower, but it ended up going a bit higher than the last one. Looks like a bit of last minute bidding. Congrats kerneltime!

CommonCurt
05-16-2019, 05:45 AM
The next one headed my way.. very eager to compare the woods and the variation.

Congrats. I really liked this one (fretboard was a little darker on these last two).
I tried, but on the last bid I would have had to bid over $900 :eek:

I'm still holding out hope I can get one.

Graham Greenbag
05-16-2019, 08:57 AM
Congrats. I really liked this one (fretboard was a little darker on these last two).
I tried, but on the last bid I would have had to bid over $900 :eek:

Patience is a virtue, if you watch and wait then sooner or later you’ll get a new or second hand one. :old:

As for the price it is what it is and what you get must compete very well on price (and quality too) when compared to what’s offered in the US, ‘cause otherwise he’d have no buyers - a great British product :)

Jerryc41
05-16-2019, 09:46 AM

I think there's a way to put a permanent search on eBay. Of course, they could be for sale on Fleamarket, Reverb, or our own Marketplace. Daily vigilance! : )

CommonCurt
05-16-2019, 04:46 PM
Patience is a virtue, if you watch and wait then sooner or later you’ll get a new or second hand one. :old:

As for the price it is what it is and what you get must compete very well on price (and quality too) when compared to what’s offered in the US, ‘cause otherwise he’d have no buyers - a great British product :)

I know. I just am really hoping I can get a hold of one of the cuban mahogany versions.
I have not seen one bad review of his sopranos.

I think there's a way to put a permanent search on eBay. Of course, they could be for sale on Fleamarket, Reverb, or our own Marketplace. Daily vigilance! : )

Yeah, I've been on the lookout on all the different places, but if possible I'd really prefer to get one new directly from him.

DPO
05-16-2019, 04:56 PM
I know. I just am really hoping I can get a hold of one of the cuban mahogany versions.
I have not seen one bad review of his sopranos.

Yeah, I've been on the lookout on all the different places, but if possible I'd really prefer to get one new directly from him.

Have you tried asking him?

CommonCurt
05-16-2019, 05:18 PM
Have you tried asking him?

Yeah, he didn't reply to my email, but I did ask him in a thread if bidding on ebay was the only way to get one, and he replied yes.

kerneltime
05-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Yup squarepeg_3000 is Ken Timms

CommonCurt
05-17-2019, 04:18 AM
If you buy off eBay you do get one directly from him, he is the seller.

Yeah, I know that he does all his sales on Ebay. I asked him in a thread a while back.
In that thread I asked him if bidding on ebay was the only way to get one, and he said yes.
I was saying that I'd prefer to by a new one from him directly (especially the Cuban mahogany) instead of finding one second hand on the other placed Jerry mentioned.

kerneltime
05-17-2019, 04:24 AM
Looks like he sold one today morning with BIN

glennerd
05-17-2019, 04:46 AM

The May 10th sale is gone though so maybe a glitch or he had to resell it? I'm not well versed in eBay (although I've learned a lot from his last two auctions).

CommonCurt
05-17-2019, 05:04 AM

Yep, I think I had just missed it :(

Neal
05-17-2019, 05:41 AM
I don’t believe Timms does commissions, and doesn’t care for corresponding unless about existing sales.

i understand Martin use to make a really great Timms though, and you can pick a great one up for under 400$ quite frequently.

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 06:00 AM
I don’t believe Timms does commissions, and doesn’t care for corresponding unless about existing sales.

i understand Martin use to make a really great Timms though, and you can pick a great one up for under 400$ quite frequently.

Mim sells them, but this one is sold.
https://www.mimsukes.com/listing/mims-ukes-martin-soprano-s1-all-solid-mahogany-ukulele-setup-w-bag-878/20052848

Ukecaster
05-17-2019, 06:42 AM
Good for Ken! Looks like they sell as fast as he can make them!

Neal
05-17-2019, 07:31 AM
Mim sells them, but this one is sold
Not those Martins..

CommonCurt
05-17-2019, 09:33 AM
Not those Martins..

Hahaha That's what I was thinking.

glennerd
05-17-2019, 02:50 PM
Haha, good one! :rofl:

smc1107
05-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Anyone know how much the BIN price was on today's?

glennerd
05-17-2019, 03:18 PM
There’s still only two sales listed this month so I don’t think this is new. Roughly £600 (shows up as $1022 CDN) on my ebay app.

kerneltime
05-17-2019, 05:52 PM
There’s still only two sales listed this month so I don’t think this is new. Roughly £600 (shows up as $1022 CDN) on my ebay app.
3 not 2. His batches around around 5-10 usually

glennerd
05-18-2019, 12:21 PM
3 not 2. His batches around around 5-10 usually

3 now, but not when I commented. The May 10th sale is still missing, so not sure why there aren't four sold in May.

rainbow21
05-19-2019, 09:48 AM
New one on eBay with one bid on it, so no BIN

Ukecaster
05-19-2019, 09:59 AM
It seems like someone keeps popping the BIN ASAP to force a regular auction, whether they are serious bidders or not we'll never know. Only way to prevent that is to make the BIN price very high, like $850.00, and someone will probably pay that too.

kerneltime
05-19-2019, 10:00 AM
It seems like someone keeps popping the BIN ASAP to force a regular auction, whether they are serious bidders or not we'll never know. Only way to prevent that is to make the BIN price very high, like $850.00, and someone will probably pay that too.
Are you sure they always have a BIN?