Sevillanas played on a Guitalele

MikeHollandGuitar

Reaction score

The sevillana is a colourful and exciting style of song and dance that originated in Castile and not in Seville, a variation from a style of dance known as the seguidilla. The sevillana is not flamenco, although today it is performed by flamenco artists who give it that special flamenco touch. If you are ever at a Feria in Andalucia southern Spain you will see this couple dance performed everywhere! If you ever want to be a Flamenco guitarist you must learn how to accompany the Sevillanas!
I hope you all enjoy,
Mike

Mike, I have visited all the places you mentioned above and watched a Flamenco dance performance in Seville. I did not know Sevillana is not flamenco. Seville is one of the few places I would like to re-visit in the near future. Your music is so uplifting that I can see the dancers again through your playing. It is just perfect....... the only thing missing on the video is your Flamenco outfit. :D Great stuff, Mike! I enjoyed it.

Your “glove “ look cool. Ha ha. Never seen those before. Neat.

Last edited:
This is so cool :D Thank for sharing! :D

Whatever type of music you call it, or whichever region it come from, I immediately wanted to stand up straight with my hands in the air, clicking my fingers whilst stamping my feet and spinning around the room!!!
Sadly, at MY age, I had to make do with swaying my cup of tea in time with your playing as I sat at my desk in my comfy and reclining office chair! lol
Seriously, great stuff Mike, as always mate! Very impressed and very much enjoyed. Thank you.

Lovely playing, and another primer on Spanish music and dance - about which I know very little, grateful for the insight.
One personal peeve - I wish that the guitalele was called something else! I'm thinking "compact guitar". Oh well :)

Awesome playing and we learned some history on it too.

Lovely playing, and another primer on Spanish music and dance - about which I know very little, grateful for the insight.
One personal peeve - I wish that the guitalele was called something else! I'm thinking "compact guitar". Oh well :)

Some people call ukuleles little guitars, but this really is a little guitar! I agree. Guitalele is kind of an awkward word too.

Nice one Mike!! How do get on with the Gretsch? I've had guitarleles before but always find the string spacing to be cramped. Is it as wide at the nut as a guitar?

Thank you all for your kind comments I really appreciate them!
Ted4.......The Gretsch is not the greatest sounding instrument. A reasonable quality ukulele seems to sound so much better. The neck is not as wide as a classical guitar but in my opinion feels right with the overall balance of the instrument. It is very easy to play and records very well. Certainly worth looking at as a cheap second hand option.
Mike

Top Bottom