PDA

View Full Version : Moon Birds - including soprano - have landed at HMS

Joyful Uke
05-06-2019, 04:37 AM
I didn't know that there was a soprano Moon Bird, but HMS now has one, along with a couple concerts and tenors.

I think there are some people here who have been interested in them, so I thought I'd pass that along. They are a fun, well built ukulele.

prb035
05-06-2019, 10:26 AM
These are so beautiful, maybe one day I’ll have a Moon Bird too! :D

rainbow21
05-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Five of the eight are already gone...

Kibes37
05-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Damn those tenors went quick! I want a concert SO BADLY... Just finishing up my Clara payments before it ships, while Iím giving myself a stern UAS talking to.

Nickie
05-06-2019, 11:24 AM
Ha ha, I'd love to own a concert scale Moon Bird too!

RafterGirl
05-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Damn those tenors went quick! I want a concert SO BADLY... Just finishing up my Clara payments before it ships, while I’m giving myself a stern UAS talking to.
I love my Moon Bird to pieces, but my new Clara that came last week is pretty sweet. You’ll love it & it should help with your UAS......for awhile.

AustinHing
05-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Nobody is commenting on the soprano moon bird? I’m like omg what is that chubby little cute thing Corey is holding. Okay I’m a soprano guy btw.

Joyful Uke
05-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Nobody is commenting on the soprano moon bird? I’m like omg what is that chubby little cute thing Corey is holding. Okay I’m a soprano guy btw.

I thought it was very cute & sounds great. Like you, I'm surprised no one is commenting on it. Maybe they're all too busy figuring out how to buy it. :-)

technicalta
05-06-2019, 04:20 PM
I kind of regret selling my Moon Birds, especially the concert. Almost tempted to get another one, but I don't have enough time to play my current ukes as it is.

rainbow21
05-06-2019, 04:28 PM
I kind of regret selling my Moon Birds, especially the concert. Almost tempted to get another one, but I don't have enough time to play my current ukes as it is.

...especially with your 3 K ukes. You will never have enough time to play those three, no matter how many hours you put in.

glennerd
05-06-2019, 04:36 PM

Haha, caught my interest because I'm all about the sopranos, but oddly I see the Moon Bird as something you'd get in a tenor size. But then I'm not a tenor guy so what do I know? :p

Sharpshin
05-06-2019, 04:49 PM
George Elmes plays a Koa Anuenue and a Moon Bird Soprano....you can check that out. Awesome player.
Also I think the ZT Ukuleles look as good or better, but I can not vouch for the quality of sound.

AustinHing
05-06-2019, 06:26 PM
I thought it was very cute & sounds great. Like you, I'm surprised no one is commenting on it. Maybe they're all too busy figuring out how to buy it. :-)
I guess you are right! hope someone in UU bought it and we have a NUD on it.

Haha, caught my interest because I'm all about the sopranos, but oddly I see the Moon Bird as something you'd get in a tenor size. But then I'm not a tenor guy so what do I know? :p
I thought so too on the moon bird shape is like meant for tenor but the soprano moon bird with a big fat bottom just intrigued me a lot. I imagine the bass will be more full with that shape.

rainbow21
05-06-2019, 06:30 PM
The soprano sound sample has it sounding great as a fingerpicking soprano. The "bigger and warmer" sound description seems accurate.

Site now down to one concert and the soprano. Act now or be sad.

AustinHing
05-06-2019, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately I in no position to get this little guy. haha. Hope someone here can get it.

Gmontema
05-06-2019, 09:02 PM
The soprano sound sample has it sounding great as a fingerpicking soprano. The "bigger and warmer" sound description seems accurate.

Site now down to one concert and the soprano. Act now or be sad.

I really enjoyed that soprano sound sample as well.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/anuenue-moon-bird-spruce-rosewood-soprano-us200-15739.html

Jerryc41
05-07-2019, 01:06 AM
I didn't know that there was a soprano Moon Bird, but HMS now has one, along with a couple concerts and tenors.

I think there are some people here who have been interested in them, so I thought I'd pass that along. They are a fun, well built ukulele.

I got a tenor from this seller last week - brand new with aNueNue case. I paid $1,050, plus delivery.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/aNueNue-x-Mitsuta-UC200-U-Moon-Bird-All-Solid-Wood-Ukulele-MoonBird/153441794448?hash=item23b9d7f990:g:e1wAAOSw1cdb4C1 8

RafterGirl
05-07-2019, 03:17 AM
If the soprano is anything like the concert, it will have a very well-rounded sound to it. That "fat bottom" shape gives it a lot of depth. The sample on HMS sounds great.

Kibes37
05-07-2019, 04:44 AM
I got a tenor from this seller last week - brand new with aNueNue case. I paid $1,050, plus delivery.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/aNueNue-x-Mitsuta-UC200-U-Moon-Bird-All-Solid-Wood-Ukulele-MoonBird/153441794448?hash=item23b9d7f990:g:e1wAAOSw1cdb4C1 8

I saw this... I think if it’s up later today I’m buying it. I actually kinda hope it’s gone;)

Jerry how was the setup and playability? I don’t have a local shop I trust yet to do a setup.

glennerd
05-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Unfortunately I in no position to get this little guy. haha. Hope someone here can get it.

Haha, it's more than double the cost of the uke I really want right now (Ken Timms) and I'm not getting that one either, so I'll pass too. I'll just have to settle for the Anuenue with the Rabbit soundhole to go with my profile pic. :p

AustinHing
05-07-2019, 06:49 AM
Haha, it's more than double the cost of the uke I really want right now (Ken Timms) and I'm not getting that one either, so I'll pass too. I'll just have to settle for the Anuenue with the Rabbit soundhole to go with my profile pic. :p

Do get it. It seems really well made, that sopraninonimos whatever size at 17” only!
http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/products/seri/6

Jerryc41
05-07-2019, 11:06 AM
I saw this... I think if itís up later today Iím buying it. I actually kinda hope itís gone;)

Jerry how was the setup and playability? I donít have a local shop I trust yet to do a setup.

I thought it was fine. A friend bought an identical one from someone else, and I want to compare them. The sound is beautiful.

rainbow21
05-07-2019, 12:17 PM
Just ordered a U900 Baby uke that Austin linked to... too cute!

AustinHing
05-07-2019, 01:12 PM
Just ordered a U900 Baby uke that Austin linked to... too cute!

Congrats on your new uke!

Ziret
05-07-2019, 05:01 PM
I have the aNueNue solid khaya soprano and I love it. They seem to make quality ukes that sound great.

tjien
05-08-2019, 04:07 PM
I ordered Anuenue moon bird concert from Ukulele movement in Singapore last week when they have store wide sale. I will be in Singapore this weekend to pickup the uke. This is will be my first time to buy higher end uke without personally test it.

AustinHing
05-08-2019, 06:25 PM
I ordered Anuenue moon bird concert from Ukulele movement in Singapore last week when they have store wide sale. I will be in Singapore this weekend to pickup the uke. This is will be my first time to buy higher end uke without personally test it.

Congrats on your moon bird. Well my local uke shop is that Ukulele Movement. I have tried the moon bird concert while in shop and it’s loud! It’s well setup but you may want to strum lightly. It’s the wake the dead kind of loud.

YogiTom
05-08-2019, 07:03 PM
I’m glad I stumbled on the HMS listing now rather than earlier...my UAS needs no more fuel for right now, especially with two ukes still on the way...

Still, that concert...:drool:

Just Russ
05-09-2019, 06:59 AM

I'm excited to try the soprano. I like them in all sizes, but was shocked by how much more I loved the concert-sized uke.

Kibes37
05-09-2019, 08:06 AM
I thought it was fine. A friend bought an identical one from someone else, and I want to compare them. The sound is beautiful.

Thanks for the info. I resisted UAS successfully. I will be waiting on purchasing a Moon Bird... for at least a month :)

Steedy
05-09-2019, 09:25 AM
One of those Moon Bird Tenors will be flying my way in about 9-14 business days. :cool:

prb035
05-09-2019, 09:38 AM
One of those Moon Bird Tenors will be flying my way in about 9-14 business days. :cool:
How exciting! They are so beautiful :D Congrats!

tjien
05-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Congrats on your moon bird. Well my local uke shop is that Ukulele Movement. I have tried the moon bird concert while in shop and itís loud! Itís well setup but you may want to strum lightly. Itís the wake the dead kind of loud.

Thank you, I really like uke with good projection. Let's see if it is louder than my blackbird clara or koaloha.

Tjien

Gmontema
05-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Thank you, I really like uke with good projection. Let's see if it is louder than my blackbird clara or koaloha.

Tjien

Agreed. My soprano KoAloha is like the teenager singing at the top of their lungs while wearing air pods. The downside is at my uke club, everyone can hear my mistakes :rolleyes:

DownUpDave
05-10-2019, 07:12 AM

Yes Steedy....way to go, great score. I will look forward to your NUD and excellent pictures

@tijen....congrats as well and I look forward to seeing and hearing yours at our regular Uke Jam

Joyful Uke
05-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Only the soprano is left. That was fast!

Jerryc41
05-10-2019, 03:16 PM
Only the soprano is left. That was fast!

People seem to prefer larger sizes. I like 'em all.

AustinHing
05-10-2019, 03:37 PM
I only like the small bird

Jerryc41
05-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Agreed. My soprano KoAloha is like the teenager singing at the top of their lungs while wearing air pods. The downside is at my uke club, everyone can hear my mistakes :rolleyes:

which is why I decided I don't need an amp. :D

prb035
05-11-2019, 10:49 AM
which is why I decided I don't need an amp. :D

Yes, an amplifier would make all the tiny mistakes I make sound a lot worse, I may be better off with a mute! :D

YogiTom
05-12-2019, 05:02 AM
Fly away, little Moon Bird. The soprano offered by HMS has left the building.

Joyful Uke
05-12-2019, 05:24 AM
Wow, that was fast. They're all gone!
If I played soprano, I would have had major UAS for that soprano. I liked the sound sample, and it sure was cute.

If people here have Moon Birds flying their way, enjoy them!

YogiTom
05-12-2019, 05:39 AM
Wow, that was fast. They're all gone!
If I played soprano, I would have had major UAS for that soprano. I liked the sound sample, and it sure was cute.

If people here have Moon Birds flying their way, enjoy them!

I’ll post the NUD when it arrives. ;)

Tbh, the fact that I don’t already have a nice soprano to play in regular rotation was part of my final decision to pull the trigger. I am not a fan of holding a normal double-bout soprano shape, and was likely going to grudgingly invest in a KoAloha LN soprano at some point soon, so I saw this as a more unique and interesting option that was also way more eye candy to look at and way more exciting to me personally. :shaka:

Jerryc41
05-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Fly away, little Moon Bird. The soprano offered by HMS has left the building.

There's always eBay.

Joyful Uke
05-12-2019, 07:25 AM
I’ll post the NUD when it arrives. ;)

Tbh, the fact that I don’t already have a nice soprano to play in regular rotation was part of my final decision to pull the trigger. I am not a fan of holding a normal double-bout soprano shape, and was likely going to grudgingly invest in a KoAloha LN soprano at some point soon, so I saw this as a more unique and interesting option that was also way more eye candy to look at and way more exciting to me personally. :shaka:

Looking forward to the NUD. I hope that it works out well for you.

Jerryc41
05-12-2019, 07:33 AM
Looking forward to the NUD. I hope that it works out well for you.

If he doesn't like it, he can always sell it here for half price. :D

Joyful Uke
05-12-2019, 07:43 AM
If he doesn't like it, he can always sell it here for half price. :D

As popular as Moon Birds are right now, I think he can get back most or all of his cost.
But, for sure, it would sell very quickly at half price. :-)

rainbow21
05-12-2019, 08:37 AM
Congrats, YogiTom. I am on Oahu and was going to see if I could demo it at their store today.

You ruined my trip! Looking forward to your NUD.

...Tobias Elof was working sales at their Kaa'ako store. He has a custom made Moon Bird tenor.

prb035
05-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Congrats YogiTom! :D

YogiTom
05-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Congrats, YogiTom. I am on Oahu and was going to see if I could demo it at their store today.

You ruined my trip! Looking forward to your NUD.

...Tobias Elof was working sales at their Kaa'ako store. He has a custom made Moon Bird tenor.

Shoot, I’m sorry! I was giving myself plenty of time from seeing this thread to try and not buy one of the two that were left, and I watched the concert disappear. So, it was the final push to checkout this morning before I missed the soprano, too. I opted for Full Setup, and would be happy to send an email or call to give my blessing if you really were set on demoing it! Not sure they would accommodate, but I’m happy to try. PM me if so.

I do know there are concerts on eBay available, I just really love the setup and what HMS does in general, and feel ok spending a bit more to support them. I’m sure others feel differently and want the best deal possible, but for me that doesn’t always stop at the price tag.

prb035
05-12-2019, 02:05 PM
George Elms has a new Moon Bird Soprano too! :D And I've been giving him lessons! Ha-ha, I'm working on my sense of humour, as DownUpDave suggested! :D

http://youtu.be/GvVHIZOw5t8

Sharpshin
05-12-2019, 02:50 PM
George Elmes is playing an all Koa Bird, but....I think he has a Moon spruce Bird as well! I am learning a lot from George, he is a excellent instructor and doesn't throw so much at you that you get overwhelmed by song quantitys, yet the quality is fab and all on a soprano standard size. I will never be 1/100th as good as he, but he sure helps me enjoy my playing a lot more! Give his youtube channel a listen or check out his tabs on Patreon. Modern composer with chops like Roy Smeck! Thanks for sharing Penny!

RafterGirl
05-12-2019, 04:24 PM
Holy Moley. Those are some fast fingers.

Joyful Uke
05-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Hmmm, must be that the sopranos can be played faster, because they're smaller. My concert doesn't seem to go quite that fast. ;)

AQUATOPAZ
05-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Hmmm, must be that the sopranos can be played faster, because they're smaller. My concert doesn't seem to go quite that fast. ;)

Absolutely must be. My Concert isn't fast either. ;)

rainbow21
05-12-2019, 06:43 PM
Shoot, Iím sorry! I was giving myself plenty of time from seeing this thread to try and not buy one of the two that were left, and I watched the concert disappear. So, it was the final push to checkout this morning before I missed the soprano, too. I opted for Full Setup, and would be happy to send an email or call to give my blessing if you really were set on demoing it! Not sure they would accommodate, but Iím happy to try. PM me if so.

I do know there are concerts on eBay available, I just really love the setup and what HMS does in general, and feel ok spending a bit more to support them. Iím sure others feel differently and want the best deal possible, but for me that doesnít always stop at the price tag.

Thanks for the concern. Was somewhat kidding as inquiry had uke at Wahiawa office which was closed today. But no disappointment as Tobias and Zoe played/sang a song for us then and today Kalei played a song at Haleiwa site. Was great and very generous of them!

prb035
05-12-2019, 09:20 PM
George Elmes is playing an all Koa Bird, but....I think he has a Moon spruce Bird as well! I am learning a lot from George, he is a excellent instructor and doesn't throw so much at you that you get overwhelmed by song quantitys, yet the quality is fab and all on a soprano standard size. I will never be 1/100th as good as he, but he sure helps me enjoy my playing a lot more! Give his youtube channel a listen or check out his tabs on Patreon. Modern composer with chops like Roy Smeck! Thanks for sharing Penny!

Wow, you have lessons from George, how fantastic, and he seems to be such a lovely young man :D

prb035
05-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Holy Moley. Those are some fast fingers.

Ha-ha, if the Soprano is fast & the Concert is a bit slower.........um, that means I'll probably need a Baritone! :D

YogiTom
05-13-2019, 06:18 AM
George Elms has a new Moon Bird Soprano too! :D And I've been giving him lessons! Ha-ha, I'm working on my sense of humour, as DownUpDave suggested! :D

http://youtu.be/GvVHIZOw5t8

Wowee! I love love love his percussion hits. You've given me something to aspire to with my new Bird, but I'm not 100% sure I can have this ready in time for the NUD......:p

In all seriousness, thank for the share. It shows off just how lovely the soprano size sounds and resonates all up and down the neck. (I know, different woods, but it says a lot about the build on these instruments imho).

Now off to practice scales...at a snail's pace by Mr. Elmes's standards.

Sharpshin
05-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Penny,
George Elmes is online on Patreon. He posts to YouTube. Then he has a paid lesson where He breaks a song down and takes 30 or 40 minutes to explain the tune and does tabs. Then we go away and practice for a while, in my case a very long while. Ha! It is a good thing and I enjoy it.

AustinHing
05-13-2019, 02:25 PM

Ha-ha, if the Soprano is fast & the Concert is a bit slower.........um, that means I'll probably need a Baritone! :D

I know you guys are joking but soprano is indeed the fastest of all. Its scale length is the shortest at 13” when compared to 15”, 17” and 19” for concert, tenor and barry respectively. I won’t include the sizes less than soprano because their fret sizes are way too small to be fast.

So, your fingers really do travel less when going up and down the neck on a soprano and hence makes you able to play faster. A soprano, with a comfortable nut width, is just as good as other larger sizes for finger picking. :)

YogiTom
05-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Please, someone, buy the UC200E that just popped up at HMS. It is taking all the willpower I have not to cancel my soprano order to grab this electric concert!

AustinHing
05-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Please, someone, buy the UC200E that just popped up at HMS. It is taking all the willpower I have not to cancel my soprano order to grab this electric concert!

There may be more coming in, birds fly in flock u know. Haha

YogiTom
05-14-2019, 03:39 PM
There may be more coming in, birds fly in flock u know. Haha

My thought was that someone may have cancelled an order. I was a bit late to the game on this thread, so not sure what already left the nest.

That said, on closer inspection the bridge on this electric model seems to indicate a 2018 model? It is a bit pointy compared to the more rounded one on the 2019 models shown on aNueNue’s website.

AustinHing
05-14-2019, 05:55 PM
It does look more pointy but I doubt it will affect the soundboard.