Anyone else have TAS?

Jan D

Reaction score
UAS was bad enough, but now I seem to be afflicted with TAS -- Tab Acquisition Syndrome. I've only been playing finger style for about 10 months, but I have already collected more than 7 binders full of music, in either tab format or music notation, or both. Thanks to the generosity of many dedicated ukulele players, there is a wealth of free music/tabs available on the internet. Every time I find yet another source, I can't resist playing and printing up all of the tunes that are more or less within my current skill level. Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only music junkie on the Forum...
Jan D

I have a large folder on my computer of tabs that I'll get around to playing some day.

I seem to be a 'collector' by nature, lots of ukes, harmonicas, flutes, fifes, whistles, so why should music (books) not be included too. :)

A good solution for that is to put all your music on an iPad or a Kindle. I have both 8" and 10" Kindles, and they easily hold thousands of songs, listed alphabetically. I used to wheel a 25-pound suitcase with all my music to weekly meetings. Now it's all on a 10" Kindle.

As for collecting, I have at least two dozen instructional books for the uke. Imagine how great I would be playing if I actually worked at them. : )

Oh yes. My collection is relatively small right now, but I go on regular google hunts to find more. I also look for ABC notation or music notation or staff and tabs and chord diagram. Now that I have a working printer and software to create more, my collection will grow.

Jan D -- I think 7 binders after 10 months of playing is about right. You're well on your way. I've still got some of my first music books from the mid-1960s that I sometimes look through and play from, plus countless books gathered over the years. And I haven't stopped acquiring new charts. It's great having all that music to choose from.

I too, have TAS. Just yesterday, I told myself I would not download another tab off the net with out first picking 3 new songs and sticking with those 3 songs until I have learned them to some "decent" level which depends on difficulty.... I have so many lovely songs to work on...Ok to jump around a bit, as that is fun, but I need to organize my practices a bit more to feel that I am making better progress.
Warm up, scales, perfecting my strum styles, Work on a fiddle or classical tune in finger style or campanella, then another I feel is further along, then end with one I know well, then perhaps work on a blues with riffs, and end with some theory that will forward the action tomorrow etc.
I would truly like to thank all the enablers of TAS for their work of which I am the beneficiary. I do so appreciate you, your skill and your labors.

I too, have TAS. Just yesterday, I told myself I would not download another tab off the net with out first picking 3 new songs and sticking with those 3 songs until I have learned them to some "decent" level

Hmm, that might be a good strategy. I tend to download way more than I learn to play too. Although I seem to download a lot of tabs that I find out I can't get the hang of or don't like the arrangement. I've slowed down a bit, having learned my lesson in the past with free Kindle books.

Where would you guys say some of the best places to get Ukulele tab from?

7 Folders is not a lot of space in most office/music rooms.

Bill,
In addition to the 7 binders of uke tab/notation music, I have numerous books and binders of uke songs (lyrics and chords), 4 shelves of piano music, 3 binders of hammered dulcimer music, and 47 binders of harp music. Plus the instruments to play them on, and an entire wall of ordinary books. My music room is the smallest room in our house, so it's a bit crowded. But it's cosy, and my absolutely favorite place to be. :)
Jan D

Dont worry, You are not alone ;-)
same as my folders full with tabs are not alone, there seem to be hundrets of them on my Computer

But i have the same Problems with Books and DVD`s ... should i say that i just bought another book 5 minutes ago? ;-)

UAS was bad enough, but now I seem to be afflicted with TAS -- Tab Acquisition Syndrome. I've only been playing finger style for about 10 months, but I have already collected more than 7 binders full of music, in either tab format or music notation, or both. Thanks to the generosity of many dedicated ukulele players, there is a wealth of free music/tabs available on the internet. Every time I find yet another source, I can't resist playing and printing up all of the tunes that are more or less within my current skill level. Please, someone tell me that I'm not the only music junkie on the Forum...
Jan D

Oh that sounds good. I'll need to start a collection. Thanks for the suggestion :)

I would greatly appreciate recommendations for finger style tabs that would suit a beginner :D I have been busy amassing a nice little collection of tabs, but most are still a bit beyond my basic skill set :D

Penny,

One good source of easy tabs is:

https://www.capotastomusic.com/ukulele-sheet-music/tabs.htm

Also try the tabs in Jurg Hochweber's book of ukulele solos linked below. They are a mixture of single notes and strummed chords. He has tons of music on his website. Even though much of it is identified as guitar music, I found that many of the tunes work on ukulele as well. Some of his music is more advanced, but there is a great deal of stuff that is reasonably accessible to those of us with just the basic skills.

https://www.hochweber.ch/ukulele/ukulele.pdf

Good luck!
Jan D

Last edited:
That's exactly how my hair looks when I'm playing the ukulele. And anyone who doesn't play in Daisy Mae shorts does not know what they're missing. :D

But seriously, it looks like a good book, thanks.

I tried wearing my hair like that, but it got to be a nuisance in crowds. :D

Here is another Resource for cool Fingerstyle/Fingerpicking Tabulature (wich i want to recomend):
The Great Cynthia Lin (has not only Fingerstyle Tabs, also much more cool Stuff)
But here is a Fingerstyle (only) Playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxWLCu2_pMk&list=PLODvOB1QB53V1g1TSnr53qxy7rDqmQOF2
Tabs you get on her website (link below the videos) and you can decide yourself how much you want to give for it, if you are poor you even can get them for free but they are worth a lot of Dollars I´d say

Last edited:
Top Bottom