PDA

View Full Version : Felt Pads for Strap Buttons

Jerryc41
05-10-2019, 11:56 PM
I spent the big bucks ($21.35) at Stewart-MacDonald to get two tortoise shell strap buttons for my Cocobolo. To my surprise, they did not come with those felt washers. I see they are listed for $3.35 plus shipping for ten. I installed them without the washers. These are the buttons I should have ordered when I got the Cocobolo.

Usually, I buy a pack of half a dozen or more buttons for just a few dollars, and they come with screws and washers. Live and learn.

Ukecaster
05-11-2019, 03:31 AM
Yes, the prices for the felt washers are stupid. Better to get some felt material, then punch holes, and cut your own. I've seen cheap plastic washers on Enya buttons. What other materials are used..leather?

Swamp Yankee
05-11-2019, 03:53 AM
I make them from leather scrap using a compass from a drafting set with a small Xacto blade where the pencil lead would go. ... but yeah, at the prices Stewmac wants, they oughtta come with washers.

RafterGirl
05-11-2019, 04:17 AM
I spent $24 for two of those Waverly tortoise strap buttons plus a ten pack of the felt washers from StewMac. I wanted something nicer for my KoAloha special issue LN soprano. Expensive, but less than Amazon at $15.33 each and no felt washer. The buttons themselves and the washers probably came to about $16 & the rest was shipping.

bratsche
05-11-2019, 07:45 AM
100 for $17.95
(https://www.amazon.com/Round-Corn-Pads-Pack-Hammer/dp/B011HT2316/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=felt+round+corn+pads&qid=1557595722&s=gateway&sr=8-3)

bratsche
(https://www.amazon.com/Round-Corn-Pads-Pack-Hammer/dp/B011HT2316/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=felt+round+corn+pads&qid=1557595722&s=gateway&sr=8-3)

Rodzilla
05-11-2019, 08:23 AM
My thought was to use those small, round felt pads that are made to adhere to the bottom of things that might sit on top of a nice piece of furniture..... Like a lamp, or figurine, or vase. They have an adhesive backing that could be use to adhere them to the strap button, or not. They usually come in dark colors and cost about $1.99 for 20. $0.02.

Arcy
05-11-2019, 09:27 AM
Jerry, LMII has free US shipping - you can get a pair of felt strap button cushions from them for $1.10 shipped.

My thought was to use those small, round felt pads that are made to adhere to the bottom of things that might sit on top of a nice piece of furniture..... Like a lamp, or figurine, or vase. They have an adhesive backing that could be use to adhere them to the strap button, or not. They usually come in dark colors and cost about $1.99 for 20. $0.02.I wouldn't want adhesive here: either you put it against the instrument and risk damage there or put the adhesive away from the instrument and collect dirt and grime: eww!

Kenn2018
05-11-2019, 10:56 AM
The Iluak strap pin (button) comes with a leather washer. Buy a pair (cheaper) and they include a threaded tap for the hole because the screw is embedded in the pin itself. Easy peasy.

I like them better than the Waverly because there isn't a screw-head showing. And, it's cheaper to buy directly from the company. They have great customer service.

I believe they are renovating their shop and website. www.iluak.com

But i have Waverly pins on some ukes and the less expensive metal ones on others.

peterbright
05-12-2019, 05:40 PM
I go for rubber washers if self installing. Felt you can get at Walmart or any craft store for tiny amounts of moola.

Jerryc41
05-13-2019, 12:34 AM
100 for $17.95

bratsche

Good price, but if I put two buttons on each of my ukes, that wouldn't be enough felt. :(

Jerryc41
05-13-2019, 02:11 AM
I spent $24 for two of those Waverly tortoise strap buttons plus a ten pack of the felt washers from StewMac. I wanted something nicer for my KoAloha special issue LN soprano. Expensive, but less than Amazon at $15.33 each and no felt washer. The buttons themselves and the washers probably came to about $16 & the rest was shipping.

I wouldn't get them again. There are silver, gold, and black buttons available for a fraction of the price. I try to match the color of the button to the color scheme of the uke. Looking back, I see that I bought ten silver buttons for $8.99, with screws and washers.

RafterGirl
05-13-2019, 03:13 AM
I wouldn't get them again. There are silver, gold, and black buttons available for a fraction of the price. I try to match the color of the button to the color scheme of the uke. Looking back, I see that I bought ten silver buttons for $8.99, with screws and washers.
Yeah, probably too big of a splurge for a strap button. But I wanted something different that just silver, gold, or black. Those Iluak buttons look cool, but their website has been down for awhile.

Jerryc41
05-13-2019, 03:24 AM
Yeah, probably too big of a splurge for a strap button. But I wanted something different that just silver, gold, or black.

I guess painting them is out of the question. :)

UkerDanno
05-13-2019, 03:35 AM
I've never used a washer!? :D :shaka:

UkerDanno
05-13-2019, 03:39 AM
Stewmac stuff is nice, I have their snakewood buttons. but it is kind of spendy, then they always add shipping, which is also expensive! I've canceled a couple orders for tools, because the shipping just adds too much.

AQUATOPAZ
05-13-2019, 07:15 AM
Stewmac stuff is nice, I have their snakewood buttons. but it is kind of spendy, then they always add shipping, which is also expensive! I've canceled a couple orders for tools, because the shipping just adds too much.

I've realized I'm completely spoiled by Prime. Anything over $3 shipping annoys me, even though I know shipping costs them money and shipping costs have actually gone done from the pre-Prime days when companies added a hefty "handling" charge to their shipping costs.

Jerryc41
05-13-2019, 07:52 AM
I've realized I'm completely spoiled by Prime. Anything over $3 shipping annoys me, even though I know shipping costs them money and shipping costs have actually gone done from the pre-Prime days when companies added a hefty "handling" charge to their shipping costs.

Years ago, I bought a grandfather's clock from a catalog, and I had to drive about an hour to Railway Express to pick it up. The guy in the office gave me the paperwork. As I looked it over, I saw a charge of some kind. I asked him what it was for, and he was annoyed that I had asked. "Oh, that's a standard charge. They all add that." I think the technical term is "padding the bill."

I have also changed my mind about buying something when I see the shipping charge. Stewart-MacDonald has something similar to Prime, but it's only $39.95 for a year of free shipping. Unlike Amazon, I don't buy enough from S-W to make that worthwhile. When I was buying a lot from them, I paid the fee, and that was worth it.

Ukecaster
05-13-2019, 09:27 AM
Just got a full sheet of black felt material at Walmart, in the sewing and crafts section. It was all of $.23.

AQUATOPAZ
05-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Just got a full sheet of black felt material at Walmart, in the sewing and crafts section. It was all of $.23.

I think you can also buy a small circle punch to make it super easy to make washers.

Jerryc41
05-14-2019, 12:15 AM

I'll give you a tip: don't try to make the small hole with an electric drill. :D