Levy's or Levi's?

Jerryc41

Reaction score
This is interesting. Someone posted a link to Levy's leather guitar/uke strap. I immediately thought of the maker of blue jeans. Wrong! That's Levi's. This strap is made by Levy's. I wonder how many people are fooled by that.

I immediately thought of Levis, the vintage motorcycle:
Levis 1938.jpg

John Colter.

I immediately thought OMG the most uncomfortable item of apparel on the planet.

Only ever bought one pair of jeans, despite a few washes they were rough and in the rain they were soaking wet in about 5 sec and did not dry for the rest of the day.

Its not hard to turn your old jeans into a strap.
Easy peasy for a light instrument like a uke. For a sturdier strap adding some interfacing inside and leather ends isn’t hard. The trick is that you need a fairly heavy duty sewing machine and needle to go through that. Fortunately for me, my wife is a quilter. Unfortunately for me, SMAS (sewing machine acquisition syndrome) is a thing. Fortunately for me, that makes ukuleles look cheap. Unfortunately for me, she doesn’t see it that way :) :) :)

Levi's... I think
o.png

Levy leathers is pronounced lee-vee, Levi jeans is pronounced leev-eye.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Levy's Leathers makes some excellent 2"w. acoustic guitar straps. Actual leather ends, plus all-leather straps. Some 1.5"w. ukulele straps as well.

https://www.levysleathers.com

I believe they are owned by Gator Co. maker of Gator Cases.

I have a black Levy’s leather strap for my Outdoor Ukulele, and quite like it. Stiff cut of leather and a thin profile.

Last edited:

Only ever bought one pair of jeans, despite a few washes they were rough and in the rain they were soaking wet in about 5 sec and did not dry for the rest of the day.

They are 100% cotton. I've lived in them whenever possible since I was a kid. Shorts in the summer. Never wore bibs though. Bluejeans break in and soften with age and washings. And are probably the most versatile pants on the planet. Worn almost everywhere in the world.

I never wore elephant bells, but I did wear bell bottom & flared jeans. Bootcut. etc.

But, to each their own.

Levy's Leathers makes some excellent 2"w. acoustic guitar straps. Actual leather ends, plus all-leather straps. Some 1.5"w. ukulele straps as well.

https://www.levysleathers.com

I believe they are owned by Gator Co. maker of Gator Cases.

Yes, Levy's Leathers recently joined forces with Gator Co., but all of their straps are still made in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, an hour's drive from where I was born. Quality products made by a family-run business.

Jan D.
(Now in Oregon, a long way from home ...)

When I was a kid, Levis cost $5.00, and they felt like they were made out of cardboard. It took quite a while to wear them in.

Top Bottom