A New Search - Baritone body with a Tenor neck :-)

keenonuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm enjoying my journey of exploration of Ukuleles. So far I've enjoyed Sopranos and now have my soprano that has potentially ended my quest for a soprano. That soprano is the Style 2 Martin. And I am pleased with my TM 1C concert, although I find it more of a challenge to chord (I'm planning on changing the strings).

Although my Koaloha KSM 00 is one the ukes "I would save." I am still searching for tenors. And I am searching in multiple directions. Because why not :)

I am hoping for a Baritone body with a Tenor scale. Unfortunately I find the 19" Baritone scale too much of a challenge. To you nay sayers it has been done.
https://ohana-music.com/baritone-voice-and-tenor-tuning-the-ohana-bkt-70g/
But that instrument had a very limited run. :-(

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Kanile'a do a tenor with a big body and call it a super tenor. I would post a link but the spam bot is blocking me.

Although be aware when looking as they do it in both 17 and 19" scale length!

Bonanza will do it that way. I got mine the opposite- tenor body and 19" scale - but Shelley mentioned one of her personal players is exactly what you're suggesting.

Last weekend I saw Sarah Maisel and Craig Chee at the Allegheny Ukulele Soirée in Altoona, PA. They kept switching their custom Kanile’a tenors between them for different songs. Sarah explained that they were tuned differently. They had wanted to add a deeper sound but found the baritone too heavy. So they put DGBE (high D) strings on one of the tenors. They took turns playing lead. They sounded fantastic, of course. Anyway, I was intrigued as I play the baritone and it can be a stretch. I bought their set of DGBE strings for the tenor. Then yesterday Jim Beloff was saying Lyle Ritz played a Martin tenor uke with DGBE (high D). So I plan on slapping these strings onto my Martin tenor. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. I'm going to look into restringing a uke I was considering selling to dGBE. Look into a Baritone tenor from Bonanza and put the Kanile'a for a future thought. - maybe the build your own variation or an inexpensive used one :)

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Another thought. I think you've been following my Cripple Creek 5-string build. The lower bout is 12" which is wider than most baritones, also 3" deep. I think it's safe to say the displaced air volume will be as much or more than a typical baritone. And he could make you any kind of neck you wanted. I won't talk prices as every proejct is different, but looking at some of the ukes in your signature, it would be well within your reach.

I have three tenors strung DGBE. A Brueko tenor with high D, a tenor Fluke with low D and a Baton Rouge 8 string with high/low D and the other three courses in unison. The 8 string is the least successful of the three and I might just tune it up a bit when (if) other future plans mature. I use it for accompanying broadside ballads and have plans to get an early music instrument in its place (when funds permit)

How about a baritone with a soprano neck?

No way. What would we name it really really short necked Baritone. I'm tempted to make fun of it and call it names. That being said, maybe it would be like one of Pepe Romero's creations with a paddle shaped variation and a really really short neck. I wonder about the calculations for the intonations. That is definitely above my current skill level. Thanks for the thought.

How about a baritone with a soprano neck?
Going up or down one "size" makes sense for some applications and definitely works. I think two sizes can make sense but rarely, e.g. tenor neck sopranos but never heard of a soprano neck tenor. Three sizes is just ridiculous. :p :rulez:

Another thought. I think you've been following my Cripple Creek 5-string build. The lower bout is 12" which is wider than most baritones, also 3" deep. I think it's safe to say the displaced air volume will be as much or more than a typical baritone. And he could make you any kind of neck you wanted. I won't talk prices as every proejct is different, but looking at some of the ukes in your signature, it would be well within your reach.
I am very much open to more suggestions. But I did reach out to Cripple Creek. I hope he has a video or sound link to Ukuleles. I don't like spending monies over a certain amount without having an idea of the sound. It's bad enough not knowing action, etc.

And I'm going to check the measurements against a pineapple we have at my son's. We'll see where the adventure leads. So I continue to welcome everyone's thoughts and ideas and am still very much open to suggestions. :)

I meant a baritone with a sopranino neck. Sorry to get you all upset!

Hoffmann ML Tenor has the exact specs you're describing: baritone sized body with a tenor scale neck.

Top Bottom