Toronto uke gig.

ambrose

Reaction score
I've put together a ukeish 4 song set at my kids elementary school.
Here's the lineup:

GIVINS SHAW FUN FAIR
Not your average playground affair
Saturday, May 30, 11am – 4pm

LIVE PERFORMANCES BY
Toronto’s newest pre-teen sensations
DONE WITH DOLLS
and a very special Ukulele Enhanced performance by
THE GIVINS SHAW ALLSTAR PARENT BAND
Featuring: Ambrose Pottie (Crash Vegas), Ukulele; Neil Clark (Lloyd Cole & The Commotions), Ukulele;Eric Schenkman (Spin Doctors), Ukulele; Andrew Scott (Sloan), guitar; Dan Schwartz (The Key Frames), percussion; Pete Dako (Casual Casual), accordion; Jim Creegan (Barenaked Ladies), Bass; Dave Wahl (Bourbon Tabernacle Choir), vocals; and Monique Barry, vocals;

Givins Shaw Jr Public School is located in the heart of the Trinity-Bellwoods neighbourhood and the 3rd Annual Fun Fair brings together this diverse community for a jam-packed day of fun and family entertainment.

I tried to get more ukulele players, or convince fence sitting guitar players to cross over to the bright side, but as it is I had to supply ukes of my own, (and string them right-handed).

We're doing: Bring it on home, Walk on By, Happy Together, I can see clearly now, and A Barenaked Ladies song called Raisins.

Hope we can stay in tune....

Ambrose

Oops, wrong forum. Can this be moved to show announcements?
thanks.

Not a lot of responses here, (well none actually ;) ) but I thought i'd follow up on this. I'll try to get pics as well. The Givins Shaw parents band played on Saturday afternoon to an appreciative crowd of parents, neighbourhood locals and either impressed or embarrassed children. Depending on their age and whether or not they were the offspring of band members.

I'm pretty new to the uke, about 5 months in. Normally I'm a percussionist, but like a lot of folks here have caught the bug bad... I had enough ukes to outfit most of the players, although I play left handed. I knew enough to restring righty them a week or so before we played. Then I gave the players the ukes in advance with chord charts and links to Aldrine's lessons and a few other online things. A few James Hill, Jake, John King and ukulelezaza youtube videos for good measure. Needless to say they were impressed.

We had one rehearsal the day before and lots of emails to sort out songs etc... I let the singers dictate this, but the song pool was taken from my 5 months of acquired charts. I tried to get tunes like Nights in White Satin and Born to be Wild:rock: in but was overruled. Maybe next time.

Speaking to the band members after the set, I got a unanimous response. First, the uke players were totally smitten by the instrument. And secondly all were delighted and maybe a little bit surprised by the very warm and positive vibe, which of course I attribute to the mighty ukulele. These folks are accomplished, successful pros who happen to live in my neighbourhood and have children in the same school. I wasn't sure if there would be any ego nonsense or condescention. I shouldn't have worried. Everyone was grinning and laughing and I've already received a few emails asking where to buy ukuleles from band members and audience alike.

Mission accomplished.
cheers,
Ambrose

I'm sorry I couldn't make it (deadline season for me). It sounds like it was kickass...no video?

And a question: are you the Ambrose who popped in to the Corktown Uke Jam once with a Kumalae, never to return? If so, return! You should see us now!

Hi Amy, yes that was me. I've been trying to get out again but Wednesday always seems to be difficult. I'll just have to be more assertive with my wife... and children.... and pets. I need my uke fix. Also I'm trying to get up enough nerve to sing.

Top Bottom