Online Purchase

QuakerOatmeal

Reaction score
I purchased a brand new Kamaka that was listed as new, for MSRP.

It finally came in, and it's beautiful.

-But-

After a few moments I realized it had a small ding on the body. I reached out to the seller and they gave me a few options.

1. They offered me a 100 dollar discount.
2. I can return it, and they will exchange it.
3. I can return it, and they will refund me entirely.

I'm not interested in returning it for a full refund.

Is the small ding worth the hassle of returning it for a full exchange?
Or should I take the 100 dollar discount?

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Quaker, I would say that if it feels and sounds really good, and plays accurately, you can just look at that ding as a little "beauty mark" that distinguishes your Kamaka from all others, and, accordingly, accept the hundred-dollar discount and call it a day.

I agree totally with Bill. If it looks beautiful, and has excellent playing characteristics, what's a little ding? Inevitably there will be a second ding or blemish, some time. These things are just part of the uke's life story. I'd take the $100 and play on.

John Colter.

What Bill said. I'd take $100 for that little ding any day. And if it still bothers you, a bit of polishing oil may darken that spot to the point where you can't see it any more. In the double bass world, there is a brand of polishing oil called Petz Instrument Polish that darkens little dings right up.

I bought a Ibanez guitar with a ding, which is larger than yours in a local shop. The discount was only about $20. I would take $100.

Edit: The guitar was only $200.

Last edited:
I recently had a very similar situation happen with a uke I purchased online from a well-respected retailer. They were amazing about the situation and offered me the same 3 options. It was my very first higher-end uke and I knew that it would bother me everytime I saw the scratch so I went with the exchange. When the new uke arrived I was very happy with the decision.

A small mark might make me feel better when I eventually made a mark of my own. That said I can understand wanting something purchased new to have an unmarked and admirable beauty.

I purchased a brand new Kamaka that was listed as new, for MSRP.

It finally came in, and it's beautiful.

-But-

After a few moments I realized it had a small ding on the body. I reached out to the seller and they gave me a few options.

1. They offered me a 100 dollar discount.
2. I can return it, and they will exchange it.
3. I can return it, and they will refund me entirely.

I'm not interested in returning it for a full refund.

Is the small ding worth the hassle of returning it for a full exchange?
Or should I take the 100 dollar discount?

If you exchange it and eventually ding it, you'll wish you't had the $100 discount. And don't blemished ukes deserve love too?

I bought a used Famous here on the Marketplace and after I had it for a few weeks I noticed a scratch beneath the bridge and a couple of dings on the side. I didn't see them when I got it, so they could have been there. Or I could have caused them changing strings. Or my cat could have done it (she tends to "like" my ukes ... yikes).

But I have no complaints or issues about the way the uke plays or looks otherwise and still think the transaction was very fair.

So I'd take the $100 if it's OK in every other way and enjoy.

The discount should of been offered to you before the uke was sent to you as looks like the shop knew about it they should of caught it in the setup of the uke...Kamaka ukes sell very fast on-line so you may not get a replacement for 3-4 months..i would ask for a bigger discount as looks like the uke is older stock and may of been dinged in their store

ask for a bigger discount or ask if they have another Kamaka ready to be sent to you I would take the replacement kind of bad service so far...Good Luck

Unless you play left handed, you're not going to notice that ding while playing, so the $100 discount seems fair. I think if it was in a location where I always noticed it, it would bother me more. Ultimately, it depends on you. Mind you, I never buy B-stock when I have the option, but usually the price difference was only $10-$30. For $100, I'd probably settle for a ding in an obscured area.

It depends if you plan to sell it in the future AND you're really really careful - then exchange it. On the other hand if that's not the case take the money and enjoy your ukulele.

For me, I'm getting old. I don't even think I'd notice the ding :) And over the course of your playing your ukulele, perhaps more dings will keep the ding company.

+1 to take the $100 dollars and carry on enjoying it. If you like the feel and sound you're on to a winner. You'll add your own beauty marks along the way anyway as you play it.
I have the most beautiful instrument and it has a small crack in the gloss on the back (fully disclosed at the time of purchase). I LOVE it! And don't notice it at all.

It depends if you plan to sell it in the future AND you're really really careful - then exchange it. On the other hand if that's not the case take the money and enjoy your ukulele.

For me, I'm getting old. I don't even think I'd notice the ding :) And over the course of your playing your ukulele, perhaps more dings will keep the ding company.

I agree. I would be a bit disappointed though. But I could get over it. If you are going to keep it for a while, not play it very much, then try to sell it in a few years, I would get them to replace it. If I was going to take it around to different venues and play it, I would take the money, try to lightly buff it out with something, or not, and go for it. That's just me though.

Depends upon how you use your ukuleles.

REPLACEMENT
If you play them for a year and then sell them, replace it
If you have OCD and the ding will bother you forever
If you keep your ukes in a case and only take them out when you play
If this is your first better-quality (K-level) uke and you want it to be perfect for as long as possible

REFUND
If you keep your ukes for a long time
If you will take the Kamaka to gigs and club jams
If you strum hard and often (you'll get scratches)
If you let others play your instruments

Who pays for shipping if you return it?

Use the money to buy some ukulele care products and strings or a hard case

Kamakas are great ukuleles. Enjoy it.

Check to make sure there is no internal damage. I was surprised to find a brace was loose in my Mya Moe. Gordon thought it took a hit but there was not outside damage. Maybe it fell over in the case. Who knows but tap your ukulele with the pad of your finger all around the ukulele to see if anything moves. And listen for a buzz when playing.

Okay, so after taking into consideration shipping it back from NJ to Hawaii, they offered to refund me 200 dollars. I think I'm going to take the 200.

They also forgot to include a clip on tuner that should be included with all their Kamaka sales.

All things considered, they have been pretty nice in how they've handled things.

I just need to try my best to get over my OCD and forget it exists, which won't be easy.

Here’s how I envision it going if it were me with my luck. I’d decide to return it, negotiate with them back & forth for several days on the return shipping cost, then wait for a week while the returned ukulele made it’s way back to the seller. Then wait another 1-2 weeks for the new ukulele to arrive. It would be ding free, but maybe the wood wouldn’t be quite as pretty as the one I returned. Or maybe the first one just sounded a little bit nicer to my ear. I’d be second guessing my decision to return the first one. Then I’d accidentally ding it while getting out of the chair in my office. Argh!!!!! Then I’d remember one of my favorite sayings from a wise man I knew years ago ..... “The enemy of good, is better.”

Take the money & embrace the ding.

Top Bottom