NUD: KoAloha KCO-10S

YogiTom

Reaction score
I’ve hemmed and hawed for some time about buying a KoAloha ukulele. Not because I don’t like the sound, look, or build, but mainly because I was searching for a LN soprano that really grabbed me. Failing that, I opted for something more affordable and a better trial run before any further money disappears to this hobby.

71153FFA-F62F-462D-8148-C2970EBFDAC7.jpgE461BA68-7798-48F3-AF06-3757AE6A970B.jpg65DDE422-0BD9-455B-A22A-2560776CBD4B.jpgFE993666-2E9F-4955-94BA-62059F7F249B.jpg5F9D2F00-452F-4208-A29E-5391D1C940F4.jpg

Loved the look of the new design of the Spruce/Acacia Opio line (minus the ginormous position markers...more on that later), and “needed” a new spruce top and concert ukulele since my wife claimed both of those in our collection. So, checking a lot of boxes (and despite some negative views of non-bound spruce top instruments in this thread here), I grabbed one from HMS, hoping it would be as pretty as the stock photo model and sound as nice as the sound samples provided.

I’m happy to say it fulfilled both for me. I love the pattern on the back and sides, and the top has its own understated beauty. There is a hint of curl throughout in the right light that makes me smile.

The first impression I had picking up to tune was it was supremely light (a quality I noticed with The Rebel mango concert we have), and easy to hold. The build is tidy and clean throughout, and the laser stamp on the inside heel join says Nov. 2018 as the build date.

I love the vibrant tone this has, as well as the sustain and dynamic range. It can whisper a lullaby and thrash in a metal band with equal ease, though without any electronics this one may be poorly suited for the latter.

My only real complaint is the size of the maple position markers on the fretboard. They are easily larger than a No.2 pencil in diameter. I guess that makes it easy for others to follow along with you, but kinda looks goofy to me with the otherwise sleek design and build. On the bright side, the grain is perfectly perpendicular to the grain the fretboard, so A+ on execution.

Has this ukulele sold me on KoAloha as a brand, even though this wasn’t made “in house”? Sure. The design is great and sleek, but it really just reinforces my belief that they have a great team in Thailand (a la the guys at The Rebel) making these more affordable models, and the build on every one I’ve held has been supremely clean and neat.

Last edited:
I also love this little knot in the neck; it is facing me when played, which makes it easy to admire. I love the idiosyncrasies or wabi-sabi (sp?) in nature and the wood used for building...anything, really.

DFC2C9B6-521D-4026-8D0F-2B785F352793.jpg

Congratulations, I tried one in the factory last November and sure liked its tone. My favourite feature is that they brought back the crown carving at the end of the fretboard for this model, it's too bad that they don't do that on their other ukes anymore.

Last edited:
I also love this little knot in the neck; it is facing me when played, which makes it easy to admire. I love the idiosyncrasies or wabi-sabi (sp?) in nature and the wood used for building...anything, really.

Yeah, that's knot bad. :)

EDIT: Now that you mention it, I see that the fret markers on my spruce Opio are large like yours. Knot a problem - it has no not, though. :D

Last edited:
Enjoy your new KoAloha. I have two and love them. I have the opposite problem on my long neck soprano. The fret board is koa, and the fret markers are mango. The mango is similar in color and blends in, making them hard to see. I think the size of the fret markers is the same as yours, just not easy to see them.

Update

Not mentioned in my OP, but I added some Gotoh UPTs to my order, initially planning to have them installed by the crew at HMS. Something told me not to, however, and I opted to have the UPTs sent separately, just in case.

Also not noted, I asked for this to be setup so the action was easy to fret, as my gardening and mead making day job takes a toll on my hands and I struggle to play for long periods when I get home. The setup was just what I hoped for, so awesome to know they have that capability if you ask for it (first time I’ve made the request).

When I got this home, I couldn’t help but compare this to my wife’s Rebel Double Creme (solid mango, concert LN) to see how they felt and sounded side-by-side. The wider nut on the Rebel works better for me, and honestly I felt like the sound was warmer and more resonant. Makes sense, I guess, given the wood differences, but I immediately had buyer’s remorse.

So, I’m happy I didn’t add the UPTs in setup, because I’ve asked to return the Opio. So far Veronica at HMs has been amazing to work with, and it has been pretty straightforward for the return. Now just have to hope FedEx doesn’t trash it on the way back.

In its place, since I still didn’t have a spruce top concert to call my own, I ordered the Rebel Double Cheesecake that I saw on HMS and posted about. We love dessert in our house, if you couldn’t tell, and I’m happy to have a uke to match my wife’s!

Don't sweat it. I tried a LN soprano awhile back & just didn't love it. I returned it, and several weeks later a sweet KoAloha special issue LN soprano showed up on Reverb. I took the plunge again and was happy with the result. Sometimes things work out the way they're supposed to, even with a small detour along the way.

Top Bottom