New strings

QuakerOatmeal

Reaction score
After making a new purchase how long do you wait before changing the strings?

I purchased a Kamaka HF-3 and have read poor reviews on the string quality, and it seems almost universal that people agree to change the strings immediately.

As someone with little experience, and not exactly a discerning ear, how would I know? I think it sounds pleasant, but the strings are definitely different from my previous Ukulele which used fluorocarbon strings.

Also, which strings would you recommend?
Do I need to buy a special type from Kamaka direct?

Do you know what type of strings are on your uku? I like to have a spare set or two on hand in case a string breaks. If possible buy locally.

I usually only replace strings if one breaks, or they are really ancient.

Easy enough to just take those ones off, and try another set. If you liked FC in the past, I'd just try a set of Martin 620 or Worth Clears. You can always reinstall the stock strings if you want, or continue experimenting with Aquilas, Worth Browns, Oasis, etc, until you find the best sounding set for that particular uke. Just don't clip them too short at the ends, so you can reinstall, if desired.

If the uke sounds good to you with the original strings then keep them. Using harder strings like those installed on the Kamakas may improve your fretting and playing accuracy skills too. Replace them when they start to wear out or one of them breaks. Kamaka strings can be ordered or bought from a variety of sources, use Google to find one with low shipping costs. It may be a good idea to buy a set as backup, so when one of your strings break you don't have to scramble for replacement (rarely happens but better to be prepared).

Last edited:
If you like the strings, keep them. Change them after 6 months (or even a year if it's not getting a lot of play time) and you'll feel like you got a new ukulele.

We are so lucky to have the plain plastic strings. They will last forever, almost. Whereas guitar players players get their metal strings corroded etc loosing their shine in a few days when our strings have just creeped properly in playing condition. Applies also to classical guitarists, but less than metal strings.

This post no help what if any to put on your Kamaka as a change :)

After making a new purchase how long do you wait before changing the strings?

I purchased a Kamaka HF-3 and have read poor reviews on the string quality, and it seems almost universal that people agree to change the strings immediately.

As someone with little experience, and not exactly a discerning ear, how would I know? I think it sounds pleasant, but the strings are definitely different from my previous Ukulele which used fluorocarbon strings.

Also, which strings would you recommend?
Do I need to buy a special type from Kamaka direct?

For me it's a feel thing. I picked up my own HF-3 less than a month ago and I've settled on a low g set of worth brown strings after trying some worth clears and the stock Kamaka strings. I'm the type that likes to set it and forget it though and I hated the feel of the Kamaka strings, regardless of the sound, so I just went through a couple of sets in a few weeks in order to find and settle on the sound I like.

Now that they're on I'll keep them on for a while! I highly recommend the worth browns but to each their own.

With stock strings there are usually at least a handful of months on them just from sitting around a warehouse - if not years. "How long" until you change them might not make much of a difference on the age of the string.

I'd change them.

I have two HF-3 Kamaka tenors. Wonderful instruments. I have one set up as High G (or re-entrant tuning) using Martin Premium Strings. They sound nice and have a nice feel to my fingers - they seem lower tension than the fluro carbon and are softer.

On the other I have set up as Low G, I have PhD strings or Oasis Warms and a Fremont Soloist Low G. You could use any fluorocarbon set with the Fremont Soloist.

The Kamaka nylon strings that are on there feel nice on your fingers, but the sound is a little more muted and not as bell-like.

Good luck! If you need help changing strings, there are a lot of videos out there. I thought this video was the most helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyv7uOiXsbM

Do you know what type of strings are on your uku? I like to have a spare set or two on hand in case a string breaks. If possible buy locally.

I usually only replace strings if one breaks, or they are really ancient.

Based on some forum searching, I think they use D’addario Pro Atre J71’s dyed black. The Kamaka sets high G is .0285 instead of .0290.

Even though that reads like Chinese for me :3

I have two HF-3 Kamaka tenors. Wonderful instruments. I have one set up as High G (or re-entrant tuning) using Martin Premium Strings. They sound nice and have a nice feel to my fingers - they seem lower tension than the fluro carbon and are softer.

On the other I have set up as Low G, I have PhD strings or Oasis Warms and a Fremont Soloist Low G. You could use any fluorocarbon set with the Fremont Soloist.

The Kamaka nylon strings that are on there feel nice on your fingers, but the sound is a little more muted and not as bell-like.

Good luck! If you need help changing strings, there are a lot of videos out there. I thought this video was the most helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyv7uOiXsbM

Thanks! There are just so many brands! It's overwhelming. I have no idea where to even look. Between D'addario, Martin, Koaloha, or even Kamakas own strings.

Where do I even start!?

Where do I even start!?

Just grab some Martin 620s or other readily available clear fluorocarbon string (e.g. Worths, Oasis, D'Addario Carbons). Among those I listed there are some differences in gauge/tension that can impact tone a little but they will all give you an idea of whether or not you like clear flourocarbon on that particular uke. Then if you don't like that try something else.

Elderly Instruments has a good variety of strings and they are a wonderful retailer.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, look for flat/wear spots over the frets. That's one way. For the price of a set of strings, replacing them on a regular basis wouldn't hurt. By "regular," I mean once or twice a year, depending how much and how hard you play.

well, if you want to try the Martin ones for High G, you can get them all over the place. The other strings are pretty available by mail also from different places. just google it, but you might have to pay shipping. Strings are a whole new acquisition thing also. I do like fluorocarbons for Low G. If you think the low G is too floppy, you can always get a single wound string for the G. I just checked and I don't have a Fremont soloist on my Kamaka low G. I think those are just PhD strings. Good luck!

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-shop/ukulele-premium/c-24/p-1328

I dunno, started changing strings a couple of times a year. Then once a year. Now the strings stay for years (even the original ones). That said, I'm scheduled for a hearing test this month so maybe I'll be back to changing strings more often. Is there a hidden advantage to being hearing impaired? ;)

Just grab some Martin 620s or other readily available clear fluorocarbon string (e.g. Worths, Oasis, D'Addario Carbons). Among those I listed there are some differences in gauge/tension that can impact tone a little but they will all give you an idea of whether or not you like clear flourocarbon on that particular uke. Then if you don't like that try something else.

Elderly Instruments has a good variety of strings and they are a wonderful retailer.

Martin FC strings are my base line go to.
We've tried other FC strings and most are good too. Worth, D'Addario, Oasis, PHD, are all top brands.
When I have a choice and money Living Waters are my absolute favorite, so far.
The whole thing is very subjective and depends on how YOU like tension, tone, feel, looks, price, availability.

All that said, Martins are where we usually start. Most other sets are affordable and changing strings isn't hard.
Relax, have fun with it, Ukuleles are a giggle and a smile.

Martin FC strings are my base line go to.
We've tried other FC strings and most are good too. Worth, D'Addario, Oasis, PHD, are all top brands.
When I have a choice and money Living Waters are my absolute favorite, so far.
The whole thing is very subjective and depends on how YOU like tension, tone, feel, looks, price, availability.

All that said, Martins are where we usually start. Most other sets are affordable and changing strings isn't hard.
Relax, have fun with it, Ukuleles are a giggle and a smile.

What i like about Martins is that to me they feel a little higher tension than some of the other FC strings I've tried. The C string in particular is thicker than most other FC sets.

Luckily I enjoy trying out different strings.

As much as I tend to like the Martins and as similar as different brands of FC strings can be I have encountered 2 cases where a very similar, but lighter gauge FC worked better.

The first was a Kala Ziracote tenor which to my ear sounded a bit muddy with the Martins. I think I put either D'addarios or Oasis brights on that and felt it imporved the clarity.

The second is the Takumi concert I just got. Its a super light build and is the kind of uke you need to barely touch to get it to sound. The Martins to me choked the sound a little bit and took away some of the sensitivity . I threw a pair of Oasis brights on and was in love. I was really surprised by the difference and still consider Martins my go-to strings, but it just goes to show how different ukes respond to the same strings differently.

Top Bottom