PDA

View Full Version : He Got a Martin Model 2 Tenor

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 12:37 AM
I went to a practice session last night, and a guy had his brand new uke - a Martin Model 2 tenor. He's a good player, and he absolutely loves it. The funny thing is that he kept justifying the purchase to us. He used me as an example of why he should just buy what he wants.

Someone else in the group has a concert model of that uke, and he thinks it's the best-sounding uke he's ever heard. He listened to a dozen of them before he bought his concert.

I see they're making the Model 5k again, but for $5,000 I could buy lots of other things.

Col50
05-17-2019, 12:54 AM
For $5000 I would have to justify to my Wife precisely why she should refrain from causing me a significant physical injury.

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 01:03 AM
For $5000 I would have to justify to my Wife precisely why she should refrain from causing me a significant physical injury.

Yes, the "significant other" can often present problems. :(

AustinHing
05-17-2019, 02:03 AM
$5k for a soprano? Totally worth it. Or perhaps a used model?

keenonuke
05-17-2019, 02:42 AM

You can get a new Model 5 from authorized dealers for the bargain price of $4399.00 including case. Wow. The higher end Martins do retain their price though. But I'm going to pass. Besides I have my Soprano - the Martin Style 2. And not as pricey double :-) :-)

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 03:04 AM

It's a "professional" koa tenor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWM2ilFiZuE

$12,000 soprano -
https://reverb.com/p/martin-style-5k-koa-soprano-ukulele?gclid=Cj0KCQjwt_nmBRD0ARIsAJYs6o2K6GFoUG4G oKnD-8C2jVDM9jSVfQUK7xk9OZjuCdwZ0GPL-k68-sUaAh3MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&hfid=1461038

$5,500 soprano -
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukulele/5k-uke/

AustinHing
05-17-2019, 03:23 AM
$5,500 tenor -
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/ukulele/5k-uke/

Hmm, the link shows a soprano instead on my browser..

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 03:36 AM
Hmm, the link shows a soprano instead on my browser..

Sorry about that. Correction made.

maki66
05-17-2019, 03:45 AM
If you got the money why not?

I'd be afraid to play something that valuable, but I guess I'll go be poor somewhere else.

AustinHing
05-17-2019, 04:05 AM
Sorry about that. Correction made.

Could be my browser, still seeing same thing though.

The 5k tenor seems to be a custom made by Martin according to ukulele Friend
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/martin-5k-tenor-ukulele/

In any case, they are all holy grails to me. Haha

AustinHing
05-17-2019, 04:14 AM
I went to a practice session last night, and a guy had his brand new uke - a Martin Model 2 tenor. The funny thing is that he kept justifying the purchase to us.

Someone else in the group has a concert model of that uke, and he thinks it's the best-sounding uke he's ever heard.

I seems to have the same problem that I can’t stop boosting about my S1 and C1K. Could be the Martin smell from sound hole?

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 04:25 AM
I seems to have the same problem that I can’t stop boosting about my S1 and C1K. Could be the Martin smell from sound hole?

Yes, that Martin smell does seem to be a thing.

Ragtop232
05-17-2019, 04:47 AM
You can look at my signature and tell I'm a huge Martin ukulele fan, well, I guess that's an understatement. My opinion, but I think Martin is building some of the best ukuleles that they've ever built. I'm also just a huge fan of the sound. I have one last Martin ukulele to add to my collection and that is a 5K. I'll get that hopefully sometime in 2020. Of my Martin tenors, my favorite is the 1T IZ, I only have one concert - a Martin 3K Custom and then with my Martin sopranos, right now, my favorite is the Martin Konter with the Martin 2K a very close second.

Jim

Ukecaster
05-17-2019, 05:05 AM
You can look at my signature and tell I'm a huge Martin ukulele fan, well, I guess that's an understatement. My opinion, but I think Martin is building some of the best ukuleles that they've ever built. I'm also just a huge fan of the sound. I have one last Martin ukulele to add to my collection and that is a 5K. I'll get that hopefully sometime in 2020. Of my Martin tenors, my favorite is the 1T IZ, I only have one concert - a Martin 3K Custom and then with my Martin sopranos, right now, my favorite is the Martin Konter with the Martin 2K a very close second.

Jim

Yes, that's a nice collection indeed! I feel fortunate to own a nice T1K tenor and a vintage 40's Style 0. After I play my tenors for awhile, and come back to the old Style 0, I'm always amazed by sweet tone and volume that comes out of that little guy!

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 05:07 AM

Jim

You have an enviable collection. I like the 3Ks and the Konter. I have a Martin IZ for sale, but I'm having second thoughts. You prefer that to the 3K tenor? I have two sopranos, and old and a new.

keenonuke
05-17-2019, 05:35 AM

Jim
I played the Martin IZ Tenor and did really like it. It has wonderful action and was very easy to play. Plus my Marin Style 2 Soprano is one of the ukes "I'd save."

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 05:46 AM
I played the Martin IZ Tenor and did really like it. It has wonderful action and was very easy to play. Plus my Marin Style 2 Soprano is one of the ukes "I'd save."

While mine was on order, I went to a uke event in NJ featuring Kimo Hussy. During the break, there were several dozen people milling around in this private house, and I saw an IZ tenor sitting alone on a table. I wouldn't touch it, but I saw the owner later, and he loved it. I have 56 ukes, and I'm trying to cut back. Over a period of a couple of weeks, I sold five, but I bought five more in that same time period. I have no sales resistance at all. Only the lack of a usable credit card will stop my buying. :D

Ragtop232
05-17-2019, 06:16 AM
You prefer that to the 3K tenor?

I do like the 3K tenor and the tone is fantastic. However, the 1T IZ just feels so good, it doesn’t resist playing and just resonates with classic Martin tone and feels so good and easy to play. That being said, the mahogany sound is different than Koa and the 3K just gets better and better the more you play it.

Jim

QuakerOatmeal
05-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Wow, thats crazy!

Here I am feeling self conscious over a 1400 dollar Kamaka, like I'm not worthy.

I know instruments run into the thousands, and I wouldn't be surprised at a 5k guitar... but a 5k Uke, wow!

Does Martin make good Ukes? They're the first ones I think of when I consider acoustic guitars, but not Ukuleles.

Learn something new on these forums everyday!

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Wow, thats crazy!

Here I am feeling self conscious over a 1400 dollar Kamaka, like I'm not worthy.

I know instruments run into the thousands, and I wouldn't be surprised at a 5k guitar... but a 5k Uke, wow!

Does Martin make good Ukes? They're the first ones I think of when I consider acoustic guitars, but not Ukuleles.

Learn something new on these forums everyday!

Yes, Martin makes good ukes. Some people think they make the best in the world. I know a guy who wanted a good, expensive uke, and he tried all the major brands. He bought a Martin. When guitars weren't selling well in the early twentieth century, it was their ukulele business that kept Martin afloat.

prb035
05-17-2019, 10:26 AM
Wow, that 5K Soprano is just gorgeous! :D

Jerryc41
05-17-2019, 11:56 PM
The Martin Factory looks to be 150 miles from Catskill, maybe people living in that area would arrange for a factory tour and pick up the uke from the factory? Its a long return trip, but you can still do safely it in a day. Look up "Discover Martin's Factory Delivery" for some details if you don't have any.

Yes, I took a look at their web site. That's on my looong list of things to do. It's not a bad ride, and they give factory tours every day, so special arrangements wouldn't be necessary. As for buying a uke there, I always prefer to buy from dealers. Factories sell at list price so as not to take business from their dealers, who generally sell below list. I like to see dealers staying in business by making a profit.

keenonuke
05-18-2019, 03:02 AM
It says in the blurb that you order the uke from a participating dealer and collect it from the factory instead of getting it delivered. So it seems that you buy it from a dealer, not from the factory.

That seems like a win-win. The dealers are priced lower and you get the fun of picking up the ukulele at the factory. How great is that. :-)

Jerryc41
05-18-2019, 03:13 AM
It says in the blurb that you order the uke from a participating dealer and collect it from the factory instead of getting it delivered. So it seems that you buy it from a dealer, not from the factory.

Perfect! Now I just have to decide which one to get. :D

Is that on this page?
https://www.martinguitar.com/about/visit-us/buy-from-factory-program/

Jerryc41
05-18-2019, 03:39 AM

Is that on this page?

This is odd. I got three email notices telling me about three responses to this thread, but none of those posts appears here. I received them six minutes ago. I can read what the posts say in my email, but they're not on the forum.

Anyway, I found a more detailed page about factory delivery. Of course, if I ordered one from Mim and took delivery at the factory, I would't get her excellent setup. :)

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/visit-us/factory-delivery-program

Jerryc41
05-18-2019, 06:20 AM
The factory delivery is on the About Us page on the Martin Guitar site. Look at the "Visit Us" page and down at the bottom of the page it has the heading for "Factory Delivery". The security software wont let me post the link.

Interesting. I got a notice at 9:29 saying you posted this email. The site shows it arriving at 10:20. It seems that it took almost an hour to get posted. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that you couldn't post with the link included.

It took me almost an hour to get a message posted this morning. I tried to post a reply, and I included the link from the original poster. After that first rejection, it kept telling me to "wait a few minutes."

AQUATOPAZ
05-18-2019, 07:26 PM
This is odd. I got three email notices telling me about three responses to this thread, but none of those posts appears here. I received them six minutes ago. I can read what the posts say in my email, but they're not on the forum.

Anyway, I found a more detailed page about factory delivery. Of course, if I ordered one from Mim and took delivery at the factory, I would't get her excellent setup. :)

https://www.martinguitar.com/about/visit-us/factory-delivery-program

Those are 2 different programs with 2 different names. Apparently you can purchase an instrument from Martin directly, with their representative assisting you in your decision. You can also purchase an instrument from a dealer and have it waiting for you at the factory.

keenonuke
05-19-2019, 01:44 AM

Is that on this page?

I know now I'm also wanting a Martin tenor ukulele. And the whole event of going to the factory really adds to the experience.

Jerryc41
05-19-2019, 03:41 AM
I know now I'm also wanting a Martin tenor ukulele. And the whole event of going to the factory really adds to the experience.

We can plan a group trip. : )