Painting a Uke

J47403

Reaction score
So here I am with my first Ukulele. It's an Oscar Schmidt OU2. Look like it is made out of mahogany. It also looks pretty good. There in is the problem.

I'm closing in on the 6 decade mark and I don't look so good. Everyone knows you are supposed to surround yourself with things that are uglier then you, to make you look good. Unfortunately I have a beautiful wife, 5 handsome dogs, and well cared for vehicles. Now I have no intention on changing the looks of my wife or dogs. My wife would ... well I don't know .... if I wanted to make our vehicles ugly. So that means I can only pick on my Ukulele.

So here I am thinking of painting my Uke. But what concerns me is what kind of paint to use on it. Latex paint is like rubber it might mute the sound of the Ukulele. Acrylic paints well, their plastic ('acrylic') that might have a negative impact on the sound as well. Not that is much of a concern at the present since I can only play one song, "The Crawdad Song."

Anyhow I'm looking for input as to what would be the proper type paint for my Ukulele. This should probably be put in the "Luthier" section. But I figured most of them are very concerned with looks and going for natural wood or inlays.

Thanks much.

Have a Great Day,
J47403

Don't paint it :eek:, you need to buy another uke....

There are plenty of used "vintage" ukes on ebay. You can find one that would rival your age for less than $50. Or maybe get yourself a old plastic one, they're even cheaper and they come with a bit of nostalgia.

Buy another uke!

Top Bottom