Strapping up!

Swiftdecision

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been playing my Lanikai and loving it over the past month or so. Unfortunately, I only play sitting down because I'm having trouble holding my uke and still making happy sounds come out. I've looked around some, and it doesn't seem like most soprano ukes come equipped with strap pegs. I'd like to use a standard guitar strap rather than a classical guitar strap, if possible.

Are straps more standard on the larger ukes? I've also been looking into buying a bigger uke, since I'm sort of a bigger guy. If anybody has any recommendations on the subject, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance!

I had a strap button installed on my tenor (didn't come with one). It has made playing standing up a possibility for me (never could before). I don't think very many ukes (larger or otherwise) come standard with strap buttons. Some with electronics have an input jack that you can use as a strap button, but that would still entail doing a mandolin style strap tie at the headstock. If you want strap buttons installed, they are not expensive, and any reputable luthier can install one for you. Or, if you live on the wild side, you can do it yourself with a drill and screwdriver.

I installed my own strap button...I still tie off at the headstock, though. I use a mandolin strap...

I recently had a strap button installed on my Kanile'a tenor and purchased a Neotech mandolin strap with it. It makes playing standing up much more comfortable.

NO NO try a Uke Thong! I have 2 and they work great!! Go to ebay and search for Uke thong... $10.95 U.S + $2.99 shipping ! Really Awesome!
:shaka:

Last edited:
I think strap buttons on a soprano are kind of overkill -- esp. if you're a bigger guy, you should be able to tuck it under your right arm pretty effectively when playing standing up.

If you're getting a tenor though, you might think about a strap.

Well I tried the DIY approach

I put a screw in the end of my cheapo Mahalo and it worked brilliantly.
I'm not sure I've got the guts to do it on my Lanikai as I love it too much and would be sad if I split it...
For a thin strap I bought a belt for 96p in Primark and cut the metal bit off :D

For a cherished uke I think I'd get a professional to do it...
Uke Strap Button 004.jpg
Uke Strap Button 002.jpg

NO NO try a Uke Thong! I have 2 and they work great!! Go to ebay and search for Uke thong... $10.95 U.S + $2.99 shipping ! Really Awesome!
:shaka:

I just don't like the idea of something clipped to my sound hole - I know that classical guitarists often use them, but it gives me the heebiejeebies.

On the other hand, I drilled the hole on my Kanile'a for my strap button myself - so I guess maybe I'm gutsier than I thought!

I installed my own strap button...I still tie off at the headstock, though. I use a mandolin strap...

My wife is on a mission tomorrow,to go around all the charity shops in our area to find me an old leather handbag with a thin adjustable strap, she's fedup of me trying various bits of household stuff like the strap to her steam cleaner, not that I tried it, because I cut it:eek:.
I've tried all manner and I'm still not comfortable.

this thread is probably done but i have a question!
i heard on another post that if you use the strap where you tie it to the headstock that overtime it will bend the neck. is this true? i have a soprano so i don't think the weight of the soprano against the strap will eventually cause the neck to warp but i dunno.

I use a 2" adjustable guitar strap, one side is on the pick up (end pin jack) and I had a luthier install a strap button on the back side of the neck, and it only cost me $5. I've used a tie on strap before, but the strap got in the way.

If you don't want to use a strap, you can also use a anti slip pad (rubber shelf liner). Just place it between your body and the back of your uke, and it works wonders.

Top Bottom