Ohana's Premium mahogany??

Astein2006

Reaction score
Can anyone chime in on what the actual difference is in their standard mahogany vs their premium mahogany?
I'm looking to buy one of their sopraninos and I'm trying to decide, aside from the different finish, what advantage the SK-21M has over the SK-21.
What constitutes it being premium? Is it thinner, lighter, what??
Also a side note: their Pequeno model has notched kerfling versus the solid flat kind. Any advantage there on a sopranino?
Thanks!

I know your post is about Ohana, but just to chime in, have your played a Kremona? For my ear, that is the best “premium” mahogany I’ve heard. Such a warm resonance. Good luck!

Can anyone chime in on what the actual difference is in their standard mahogany vs their premium mahogany?
I'm looking to buy one of their sopraninos and I'm trying to decide, aside from the different finish, what advantage the SK-21M has over the SK-21.
What constitutes it being premium? Is it thinner, lighter, what??
Also a side note: their Pequeno model has notched kerfling versus the solid flat kind. Any advantage there on a sopranino?
Thanks!

One guess would be better looking mahogany. There are many grades of wood. I would rely on Ohana to answer that question in their description. If they don't do a convincing job, maybe it isn't really Premium.

EDIT: Ah, I see. It's designed like a Martin Style 2. Very clever. A friend just got a Martin 2 tenor, and he loves it. I think the "Premium" refers to the mahogany.

Last edited:
I had the Ohana TK-38 all premium mahogany tenor. As far as I could tell the only difference I could discern was a darker stain. Sound wise it wasn't better or worse than any other all solid mahogany ukulele in it's price range.
ymmv

Looks to me like the binding and rosette are a little more "premium" on the M. They seem to be going for about the same price +/- $20, so pick the one you like best!

Last edited:
One guess would be better looking mahogany. There are many grades of wood. I would rely on Ohana to answer that question in their description. If they don't do a convincing job, maybe it isn't really Premium.

EDIT: Ah, I see. It's designed like a Martin Style 2. Very clever. A friend just got a Martin 2 tenor, and he loves it. I think the "Premium" refers to the mahogany.
I called Ohana and they said their premium is treated and prepared differently than the non premium mahogany. Having to do with the drying process etc.

I was thinking that perhaps Ohana was doing the same thing with their ukes as Martin does with their guitars, ie. reserving genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) for their premium instruments and using other “mahoganies”such as khaya, Spanish cedar, sipo, for their lower priced models.

I was thinking that perhaps Ohana was doing the same thing with their ukes as Martin does with their guitars, ie. reserving genuine mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) for their premium instruments and using other “mahoganies”such as khaya, Spanish cedar, sipo, for their lower priced models.

That may be true also. Although they didn’t mention that on the phone for maybe obvious reasons. I’m still very interested in the SK-38 or SK-21m. Just need to get my hands on one. If it’s good quality mahogany it’s hard to beat their prices.

From Mim's site regarding the CK-38, but probably applies to the 21M...maybe?

"Made from premium mahogany, a rubbed vintage finish, a aged looking binding, and a light construction and build, this ukulele does a good job of capturing the essence of the look, playability, and sound of the vintage mahogany Martins. It is made to look a little aged, and has a nice vintage look and a wonderful full sound. This is a newer version of this model with a little more gloss to the finish and bone nut and saddle. But with the same light construction that gives this ukulele its tonal power!"

Top Bottom