Canadians buying from HMS

fretie

Reaction score
Hey you Canadians out there who have purchased from HMS what has your experience been in terms of shipping and customs? I have been on the hunt for a Kamaka tenor but alas no used ones have become available recently so, I’m thinking of buying a new one from HMS.
I have to say though, I’m unsure about the courier, DHL, that they use for international shipments and, naturally, am thinking I’ll get nailed big time for customs as well has stiff handling fees.

Thanks for your suggestions about Kamaka dealers, Bill. I don’t drive a car so getting into the states to pick up a uke is no longer an option for me. Also, I value the HMS attention to setup.

Sawchyn Guitars in Regina is authorized Kamaka dealer. I think they have at least 4 of different sizes in stock including a pineapple, tenor, and a deluxe, and will be shipping. So there's no hassle with customs brokerage fees and exchange rates etc you will know your price.

Last edited:
I have had two tenors shipped to me in Kelowna from HMS. All were packaged well. All were set up perfect. I don’t think you will have a problem. HMS are excellent, very helpful and very careful. It’s hard for me to think about buying anywhere else. I have three tenors from them. My first, Pono AT I picked up at their main store when I Hawaii. Great people. Service second to none. Now affiliation to them, just a Satisfied Canadian customer in BC not far from you.
My .02cents worth.

I have also driven down to Oroville , Wa about hour and half south of Kelowna to pick up a KoAloha Opio tenor and no issue at border.

If it’s easier, just let HMS and DHL do it all for you!

I will confirm what M3ukulele above has said. I have bought a number of ukuleles from HMS, for new stock ukuleles they are the only place I buy from. The only thing you pay is the additional 12% GST , there is no duty, no customs and no added tariffs. If memory serves me right there was no brokerage fee from DHL, you can always check with them. They were a very efficent professional service with good tracking data

Thanks for all this info, guys. As it turns out HMS won’t ship the Kamaka tenor to Canada due to the US rosewood problem. But should I have another non-rosewood choice I would definitely consider HMS given the experiences you have shared.

My experience with HMS/DHL was DHL hit me up with GST, PST, some kind of brokerage fee and they really made an effort to find other duties, although I don't recall if they charged me for other duties. It's the only time I've had to pay PST on any shipments except locally. It was a lot more than I expected. Compared to ordering through Mim and USPS/Canada Post, I paid nothing, but the higher the value of the item, the more likely Canada Post will at least charge GST and a small fee.

Last edited:
I was under impression that the rosewood thing was a form and HMS had that covered. I am surprised that Kamaka haven’t started to do a model with ebony fretboard for export. Since all the Cities restrictions I only look for ebony or an alternate to rosewood. I have a TT with walnut. It’s great. With the high exchange rate, I’m in a holding pattern with my buying. Always looking. Good luck finding what you want.

I've bought ukes from Australia, New Zealand, and Germany, and I've bought a lens or two from Japan. Maybe - just maybe - there would be a delay in customs, but generally not. I've never paid any extra fees.

The joy of owning what you really want will overcome a slight delay or a small fee.

Jerry with all due respect the question was asked of Canadians living in Canada who have ordered ukuleles from HMS. Your response has NOTHING to do with the question asked. You are an extremely active member here with multiple, multiple, multiple posts and threads started everyday. I don't see why you felt the need to add your 2 cents when it was completely irrelevant.

Thanks for all this info, guys. As it turns out HMS won’t ship the Kamaka tenor to Canada due to the US rosewood problem. But should I have another non-rosewood choice I would definitely consider HMS given the experiences you have shared.

Bummer! I have three Kamakas, but they are relatively newer ones and deluxe models. I think the fretboards are ebony. If you’re willing to spend a little more, you could look for one of those. I really do love mine. Check your pms

I decided to go with my tried and true pal Mim who is packing up a fab Kamaka tenor to ship to me. Mim has always been great with setup and easy to deal with when it comes to buying a quality uke. As well she ships via USPS which then goes to Canada Post. Easy on the mind and easy on the wallet.

I decided to go with my tried and true pal Mim who is packing up a fab Kamaka tenor to ship to me. Mim has always been great with setup and easy to deal with when it comes to buying a quality uke. As well she ships via USPS which then goes to Canada Post. Easy on the mind and easy on the wallet.

Awesome! You should avoid 7% PST through Canada Post too.

Hey Congratulations on the new Kamaka tenor Fretie, I love my baritone. Please do a NUD with pictures and your impressions, I'd love to hear all about it. Thanks for the info and endorsement on Mim, I've always heard great things about her.

Top Bottom