Left handed uber beginner with damaged tendon right hand ring finger

mystrwizard

Reaction score
Ive just purchased my first uke and bit the bullet and am starting to learn (loving it) but after just a few minutes, I realized something. I am a total left handed person so when I purchased my uke, I had it strung for a left handed person and just realized that a damaged tendon Ive always had on my right hand ring finger seems to be causing issues with fingering the strings. On my right ring finger, it is the final joint right behind the finger tip that I cannot on purpose make the tip curl. I can move it freely but since the tendon was damaged it is not there form me to curl the finger tip for pressing down on strings. So that fingertip wants to stay straight.

So my question is, will that affect the learning and ultimate playability where I should restring and learn right handed so my right (damaged ring finger) will be strumming the keys and left hand doing the notes? That initial thought is not a very comfortable option.

Thanks now for your expertise.

I don't think it will ultimately affect your ability to play or the playability of the ukulele. You'll just have to figure out certain techniques that will work for you and your fingers.

There's no way to tell, really. I would say just keep on playing left handed. If the point comes where you think it's impeding your progress too much and you can't find a way around it, make a decision.

I think it would be an impediment to fingering comfortably. Certainly people have made do with worse -- think Django Reinhardt -- but that's no reason you should have to go through those challenges.

I'm imagining -- correct me if I'm wrong -- taking say a little piece of popsicle stick and taping it under the final joint of the ring finger I use for fingering and then trying to play. And imagining that makes a lot of things difficult.

I know a lot of left-handers who have learned various instruments right-handed with ultimately as much as ease as the next guy, and I think that challenge would be a more promising one for you to take up than figuring out special fingerings given your situation.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your uke!

Thanks, think Im going to switch..we will see.

Thanks for all the input. it seems like now would be the time to make the switch and just not have to worry about issues with fingering in the future. It might make the initial learning curve a bit more but as you said, Ill adjust.

Top Bottom