Votes: 17 25.4%
  • More Player than Collector

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Definitely Player

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters

ghostrdr

Reaction score
I was thinking of why I have UAS. When I first started, I was a Player only (not very good, but someone who wanted to learn). I only needed a single instrument.

As I got better, I started “collecting” a few because the nicer instruments made my mediocre playing sound better. I got better sounds and it was an “easy” way to immediately improve my playing. Going from laminate to all wood made a difference. Back then it wasn’t a given that the import ukes were playable with low action. Trying tenor and concert gave better range.

Now, I feel like I buy new ukes because I get joy from having nice or pretty things. It’s my hobby and hunting for ukes, music, accessories is part of the fun also.

I don’t know if I will ever go back to being a “player” only and no longer feel the need to “collect.” I was curious if anyone else feels like this and maybe with the passage of additional time and as I get better, I will evolve to being more of a player vs collector.

Right now, it is really a great time to be a player AND a collector

Just curious...

Last edited:
Interesting post, and I can relate. I like to play, but I'm also a sucker for something beautiful or special. I don't consider myself a collector, although I do have quite a few. "Collecting" suggests buying them to display or to sell at a profit later.

Interesting post, and I can relate. I like to play, but I'm also a sucker for something beautiful or special. I don't consider myself a collector, although I do have quite a few. "Collecting" suggests buying them to display or to sell at a profit later.

I also am a sucker for something beautiful. Fortunately, my love of art has forced me to realize and embrace that I can't own everything I find amazing. I did order a custom soprano resonator because it was a work of art and am trusting that because it is made by a musician, it will sound great. But that was for me the melding of art, music and rarity so I embraced that. I have a small collection of art pieces which I adore. I regularly go to art shows and salivate over the pieces I have no room for and occasionally buy one I can find a place for.

Need Wanna Be player and Wanna Be Collector options for me :)

I hope to be a better player than collector at some point, but for now it is about even for me.

For me, collecting is about saving something that won't ever be available again.

My two baritones are vintage - a Vega and a Tempo.

The Vega is wonderful and is a joy to play. All mahogany with a marvelous patina and has a smoky, bluesy sound.

The Tempo is probably a 1960's version of a Makala. Looks to be a birch laminate, nothing fancy. But, every time I play it I imagine it as somebody's first uke back in the day. It looks like it was much loved and played.

I have other vintage ukes that are collected for their histories. Some are not playable without some TLC, like my vintage Kay soprano. When I retire in a few years, I will bring them back to life. This is why I collect.

I wouldn't say so much being a collector than an accumulator, but I've been guilty of spending more time looking at ukuleles online than playing my ukuleles. I've also expended a bit of effort looking for "the one" and wanting different sizes. The dust is settling and my "collection" is at six, going to five. I could get it down to one uke if I designated the other one as my wife's :p

I have more ukuleles than I "need", I suppose. One low g and one high g would in theory cover me.

I don't consider myself a collector because I have more than that, though. I play them all regularly, and some days, one inspires me more than another. The next day, the one that didn't inspire me might be the one that really shines for me. I buy them to play them, not to display them or in hopes that I could make a profit by reselling.

How are we defining collector?

I would consider myself a wanna-be player who enjoys having some variety in my ukuleles.

I don't collect anything. I think that ukuleles are beautiful, and I really like looking at pictures of ukuleles made of exotic woods, but I have no urge to possess them and surround myself with ukuleles. After making that statement, am I the odd one? Is it unnatural to not want to be surrounded by the things that one likes?

I don't collect anything. I think that ukuleles are beautiful, and I really like looking at pictures of ukuleles made of exotic woods, but I have no urge to possess them and surround myself with ukuleles. After making that statement, am I the odd one? Is it unnatural to not want to be surrounded by the things that one likes?

VERY!!! ..... Kudos to you, brah!:shaka:

Well, we're legally limited to just one wife. There must be a reason for that. :D

I have accumulated a collection, just as a result of looking for 'the one' that really suits me.

I now have two in that category, one solid acacia, the other solid mahogany, both long neck concerts, with low G.

But, I also play the others now & again, just for the pleasure of it.

I play them all regularly, and some days, one inspires me more than another. The next day, the one that didn't inspire me might be the one that really shines for me. I buy them to play them, not to display them or in hopes that I could make a profit.

I would consider myself a wanna-be player who enjoys having some variety in my ukuleles.
This pretty much describes me as well. I’ve been through about a dozen or so in the two years I’ve been playing. Trying out different sizes and brands. I have 4 now that I’m very happy with. These 4 provide me with the right amount of variety and functionality. I still like to look, but there’s nothing I want at the moment. I play a little everyday day at home, at uke groups, and in public. So I’d say I’m a player who likes variety and appreciates nice ukuleles.

I'm definitely more of a collector than a player. As Glenn "glennerd" mentioned in his post, I think a better descriptive for me would be "Accumulator" because I keep my 17 ukes (all tenors strung Low G) in their cases and don't display them. I really don't have time to play and practice due to my busy work schedule and very fit & healthy lifestyle, which is why my playing skills are deplorable. *sigh*:rolleyes:

I do love the fact that there are so many different options with each individual uke such as tone woods, body shape, neck size and shape, various types of headstocks, side sound ports, etc. :shaka:

Not at all. The idea of being surrounded by ukes, humidifying ukes, and experiencing them as clutter would add stress to my life.

I'm definitely more of a collector than a player. As Glenn "glennerd" mentioned in his post, I think a better descriptive for me would be "Accumulator" because I keep my 17 ukes (all tenors strung Low G) in their cases and don't display them. I really don't have time to play and practice due to my busy work schedule and very fit & healthy lifestyle, which is why my playing skills are deplorable. *sigh*:rolleyes:

I do love the fact that there are so many different options with each individual uke such as tone woods, body shape, neck size and shape, various types of headstocks, side sound ports, etc. :shaka:

Since you mention your fit and healthy lifestyle I want to put out there that playing an instrument has been shown not only to soothe and lower blood pressure, but to fight against brain degenerative diseases and lead to brain health. Playing them regularly would only add to your healthy and fit lifestyle.

This pretty much describes me as well. I’ve been through about a dozen or so in the two years I’ve been playing. Trying out different sizes and brands. I have 4 now that I’m very happy with. These 4 provide me with the right amount of variety and functionality. I still like to look, but there’s nothing I want at the moment. I play a little everyday day at home, at uke groups, and in public. So I’d say I’m a player who likes variety and appreciates nice ukuleles.

I agree 100% with RafterGirl’s comments . After accumulating 14 Uke’s in under a year my aim now is to whittle the 14 down to just 4 . The “4” being -
Chris Perkins Tenor
Martin 2K Tenor
Pono ETSH-5
Rebel Double Cream

I consider myself a lucky guy !

Not at all. The idea of being surrounded by ukes, humidifying ukes, and experiencing them as clutter would add stress to my life.

Same here. My four are all I care to own. In fact, I could give away my beater Mahalo but that's the one I don't store in a case and therefore gets a fair bit of use when I just want to strum a bit before leaving the house etc.

I prefer to spend my "extra" money on other stuff.

I have more ukuleles than I "need", I suppose. One low g and one high g would in theory cover me.

I don't consider myself a collector because I have more than that, though. I play them all regularly, and some days, one inspires me more than another. The next day, the one that didn't inspire me might be the one that really shines for me. I buy them to play them, not to display them or in hopes that I could make a profit by reselling.

How are we defining collector?

I can relate to what Joyful Uke shared. I play many of my Ukuleles each night.

I think part of the collecting is the search for the sound and for me loving the variety. Each size, shape, wood type, strings, tuning, and Luthier brings with them different tones to the instrument.

That being said when I bought my Style 2 Martin Soprano it ended my need for another Soprano and I am quite satisfied with my assortment of concerts. The Graziano was a happy uninteneded accident. However Tenors seem to be different for me and for now I am enjoying feeding the UAS syndrome.

Top Bottom