NUD regrets

plunker

Reaction score
After playing for about a year, I got NUD BAD!.
I guess the two that I think of the most is the Sidekick Banjo Lelee inexpensive and not played, the roosebeck lute a lelee Just don't play it much but very cool, kind of lukewarm on the regrets, the Oscar Schmidt 8 string, kind lukewarm on the regreets, just used it for back up track on audacity, Lanikai Baritone, kinda neat, but bottom of the line. Any way, I guess I d wish the Oscar Schmidt I bought the one with the pick for the small price difference, the banjo lelee never should have bought and taken the money and added it to what I paid for the existing baritone and bought a better one.
Any way the point is if ( or when) you get NUD wait and make sure you get the best you can and don't settle for something because you think it is what you want. and don't have regrets.

Sitting in a friends house in the middle of the stste Ocala Fl. AC is broken 90 degrees in here, car is broke caqnt go out. This post is mostly a result of too much time and unpleasant circumstances.

I guess you are really referring to UAS.......just wanting something so bad you buy it without much thought. You are so right about waiting until you can afford the better quality instrument. Sorry to hear about your immediate situation, I hope that improves quickly, good luck

I agree with Dave, definitely UAS. I made the same mistakes during my first year. I wanted a K Brand, but couldn't afford it so I kept buying ukes in the $200 range... turns out I spent about the same amount I would have had I just saved up for the 1 uke that I wanted badly lol. It's hard not to impulse buy, but you have to fight it!

ha, I donated all my beginner mistake buys, eddie finn, lanakai, oscar schmidth, low end kala, kmise, luna, looking for the holy grail of laminates....and some others too many to mention, to beginner uke players or kids.
Hey, fellow floridian, I ll give you a 100 bucks for the lute alele.....make a nice wall hanger conversation piece. ha.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that plunker is having a down time. I hope that things pick up for you quickly.

I've had some ukuleles that didn't work out for me, but it was part of the learning process. Not all sizes of ukuleles work for me, and not all neck types and nut widths work for me, but I'm lucky that I got to try them, anyway. It helps cut down on UAS, since I have some specific guidelines now for what I buy. I can look at lovely, beautiful sounding ukuleles without buying because I know they won't work out for me. But, then again, sometimes one comes along that I know could work, so then UAS kicks back in. LOL.

Delayed gratification and aiming for what you like does pay off.
musical instruments have a long life and give immense pleasure to many.
Yup better to wait it out.

That happens to most uke buyers. Something seems good at the time, but after we live with it for a while, we realize it's not for us. That's when you post it for sale online. Don't worry about losing money on the sale. That's part of the process. If you want to sell it, you have to offer it at an attractive price. The alternative is to keep it in a closet earning nothing at all.

Any way the point is if ( or when) you get NUD wait and make sure you get the best you can and don't settle for something because you think it is what you want. and don't have regrets.

I believe that I get the gist (general meaning) of what you’re trying to say but believe that your logic is not quite correct. A little while back I saved up and bought a nicely made Uke that many people speak well of, I expected to love it but didn’t. The wonder Uke was beautifully made but the sound of it wasn’t wonderful (to my ears) and its low frets made barre chords difficult, I sold it and made a small loss. So don’t save up expecting that expensive Uke to be perfect as it might not be perfect for you. Of course a manufacturer can’t make a good Uke for nothing but it is surprising how good some instruments are for what little they might cost the buyer - price is an indication of quality, but it’s not a reliable one.

I prefer to buy second hand on-line and sell that way too. Look for something that you believe you’ll like, set it up well and then compare it with others that that you do enjoy playing. Sell what doesn’t work well for you - or is the weakest Uke of the several you own - and give someone else the chance to see if it works for them. The Ukes that I’ve liked the best haven’t necessarily been the most expensive ones.

Last edited:
Folks should try to remember that you can have a blast playing one decently set-up inexpensive uke. I played a Cheapo Lanakai for several years. Frankly, in the beginning, you probably don’t really know what you want and you won’t really sound much better with a more expensive uke. Direct your energy to practicing not shopping. Never any need to spend more than than you can afford anytime.

I've had my share of buyer's remorse, but not a lot with ukuleles. I did buy a ukulele that did not rise to my expectations. I convinced myself that most of what I didn't like about it was just little things that didn't make any difference. But they were always there and several times I entertained the thought of selling it. I know that people are going to say that one man's junk is another man's treasure, but when I went looking for a ukulele I never even entertained buying one used. I'm guessing that buyer's remorse is one of the main reasons ukes get sold. I would just have to wonder why someone wanted to get rid of a used ukulele until I would convince myself that I didn't want it either. So I avoid that by making sure I'm buying exactly what I want, and not buying something that someone is getting rid of and it looks like it is a good deal. Also I try not to let other people tell me what I should buy.

Last edited:
...when I went looking for a ukulele I never even entertained buying one used.

I just checked, and I bought 25% of mine used. In all but one or two cases, there is no way to tell that they were used when I got them. People take care of their ukes.

I just checked, and I bought 25% of mine used. In all but one or two cases, there is no way to tell that they were used when I got them. People take care of their ukes.

That's cool, and I'm just stating my own opinion, and everyone has their own. I don't expect anyone to have to agree with me. But have you ever gotten one of those that looks brand new, nothing at all visually wrong with it, and you just wonder why the seller picked that one to get rid of? I would make me more nervous if I couldn't figure it out. I'd be, "what about this am I not seeing." That's me though. We all have our own neurosis. I'm also not saying that I would never buy a used ukulele. If I was into accumulating a lot of them, some of them would probably be used. I'm just contributing to the discussion.

That's cool, and I'm just stating my own opinion, and everyone has their own. I don't expect anyone to have to agree with me. But have you ever gotten one of those that looks brand new, nothing at all visually wrong with it, and you just wonder why the seller picked that one to get rid of? I would make me more nervous if I couldn't figure it out. I'd be, "what about this am I not seeing." That's me though. We all have our own neurosis. I'm also not saying that I would never buy a used ukulele. If I was into accumulating a lot of them, some of them would probably be used. I'm just contributing to the discussion.

I get what you're saying, but I can tell you why I have sold some ukuleles. As I was finding what works for me, I tried different sizes, different necks, etc. So, I sold some ukuleles that were in excellent condition, but my hands couldn't handle the size/neck, or whatever. It would be the perfect ukulele for someone else, in excellent condition, but just physically uncomfortable for me to play.

The only time I thought that there was an actual problem with the ukulele itself, (which I bought new, but the manufacturer wouldn't honor their warranty), I sold it to a music store, who did repairs, (supposedly, at least), and then sold it themselves. That way, the buyer would be able to return it if the buyer thought that there was a problem with it, or just didn't like it. A lot of places have a short trial period, and you can return the ukulele for any reason, though you're usually out the shipping costs, of course.

Buying used has allowed me to try out some ukuleles that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to try.

But, I get that someone could always wonder why someone else didn't want to keep it, and that could take away your enjoyment of it.

Of course, you can wonder that when buying new, also. One of my ukuleles had been lingering at one of sellers often mentioned here for 1 1/2 years before I bought it. (The seller gave me a good price, which was great, too.) Although it was new, I did wonder why no one else wanted it. But, going with the thought that I could return it if I wanted, and it was a ukulele I really wanted to try, I bought it. There is nothing wrong with it, it was set up wonderfully, and it's one of my favorites.

As you say, we all have our own neurosis. I suspect that a lot of people feel more comfortable buying new vs. used.

I've only bought used ukuleles from UU, and would feel nervous buying from a more random person on ebay, for example. Not that something couldn't go wrong with buying from UU Marketplace, but at least it's a bit less of shot in the dark.

Actually, I did one time buy used from a retailer, but there were some problems with the ukulele, so I returned it, and got a full refund, including shipping costs refunded. So, I would try them again, since the risk is minimal.

Of course, the best thing is to enjoy the ukuleles that we have. :)
Now that I know what works for me, (size, neck, etc.), my UAS might be under better control. (Notice I said "might". LOL.) And I sure do enjoy the ones that I have.

Folks should try to remember that you can have a blast playing one decently set-up inexpensive uke. I played a Cheapo Lanakai for several years. Frankly, in the beginning, you probably don’t really know what you want and you won’t really sound much better with a more expensive uke. Direct your energy to practicing not shopping. Never any need to spend more than than you can afford anytime.

Where were you when I started playing uke. Best advice in a looooooong time.

I get what you're saying, but I can tell you why I have sold some ukuleles. As I was finding what works for me, I tried different sizes, different necks, etc. So, I sold some ukuleles that were in excellent condition, but my hands couldn't handle the size/neck, or whatever. It would be the perfect ukulele for someone else, in excellent condition, but just physically uncomfortable for me to play.

The only time I thought that there was an actual problem with the ukulele itself, (which I bought new, but the manufacturer wouldn't honor their warranty), I sold it to a music store, who did repairs, (supposedly, at least), and then sold it themselves. That way, the buyer would be able to return it if the buyer thought that there was a problem with it, or just didn't like it. A lot of places have a short trial period, and you can return the ukulele for any reason, though you're usually out the shipping costs, of course.

Buying used has allowed me to try out some ukuleles that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to try.

But, I get that someone could always wonder why someone else didn't want to keep it, and that could take away your enjoyment of it.

Of course, you can wonder that when buying new, also. One of my ukuleles had been lingering at one of sellers often mentioned here for 1 1/2 years before I bought it. (The seller gave me a good price, which was great, too.) Although it was new, I did wonder why no one else wanted it. But, going with the thought that I could return it if I wanted, and it was a ukulele I really wanted to try, I bought it. There is nothing wrong with it, it was set up wonderfully, and it's one of my favorites.

As you say, we all have our own neurosis. I suspect that a lot of people feel more comfortable buying new vs. used.

I've only bought used ukuleles from UU, and would feel nervous buying from a more random person on ebay, for example. Not that something couldn't go wrong with buying from UU Marketplace, but at least it's a bit less of shot in the dark.

Actually, I did one time buy used from a retailer, but there were some problems with the ukulele, so I returned it, and got a full refund, including shipping costs refunded. So, I would try them again, since the risk is minimal.

Of course, the best thing is to enjoy the ukuleles that we have. :)
Now that I know what works for me, (size, neck, etc.), my UAS might be under better control. (Notice I said "might". LOL.) And I sure do enjoy the ones that I have.

I love your handle and love your analysis. I usually buy things new, because I don't like things that are used. I like to create my own history with an object. However, amongst some of the last few purchases are a used Kamaka Ohta-San where I have moments when I think this is possibly the best sounding ukulele that I own. And my most recent purchase, a blackbird farallon. In both cases, the instruments were well cared for and the sellers were downsizing. For example, as to the former owner of the blackbird, her other ukes were 14 customs including 5 Moore Bettahs! Wow! So, yes, I feel like I can live with the blackbird farallon not being the equal of 5 Moore Bettahs as well as 9 other customs from some of the best luthiers in the business.

First home and it all is behind me. Except the mechanic's verdict. But after reading the comments, new vs used. I bought the Pono MTD used, got a good price, cam with a case and tuner. It is my NO REGRETS favorite. The rest were new. The OU82t (8 String Oscar Schmidt) I just wish I had pout a few more dollars for the one with the pick up. The Lute -e-lelee is just cool, don't play it alot but boy is it neat. (wish I had gone for the variegated bowl though.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 16

I'm also into photography, and when I want to buy a camera, I always look for "Refurbished" first. I've bought many refurbished bodies, and they come packed from the manufacturer like new. I've gotten them with shutter counts between 5 and 774 shutter actuations. They're less expensive, but just like new. I know several people who wouldn't consider buying a new car - always used.

As for the ukuleles, I don't care why someone is selling. If the seller offers good pictures, and the item looks acceptable, I'll buy it. Of course, if it's an old Martin, or something like that, it isn't going to look brand new, but so what? The Martin I got yesterday is four years old, and I had to examine it very carefully to find any signs that it wasn't brand new.

Interestingly, I just bought a universally highly praised, much sought after ukulele in as new condition, for a reasonable price, from a respected UU member. The uke arrived in pristine condition as advertised by the seller. The long story short, the uke and I just didn't bond. I didn't like the sound/tone, didn't like the tuning, didn't like the action...……..in general, I found it to be uninspiring. I changed strings (twice), tried different tunings and played it in different acoustical settings. Just ain't my taste I guess, for lack of a better description. All in all, it made for a disappointing NUD. I'm sure I will have it on the Marketplace for rehoming in the near future.

Just to be clear, the uke was advertised 100% accurately. The seller and I have had several transactions in the past and all went exceptionally smoothly, as did this transaction. This particular ukulele and me just haven't clicked.

...The OU82t (8 String Oscar Schmidt) I just wish I had pout a few more dollars for the one with the pick up...

The good news is if the only disappointment is the lack of a pickup, you can add that anytime you want. You might even end up with a better electronics than the stock system.

John

Top Bottom