what do you sit on?

rainbow21

UU VIP
Reaction score
I decided that sitting on a kitchen chair or a computer seat for an hour or two while playing uke is not the best situation. Heading out to a store to check "guitar seats or thrones".

Do you have a specific seat/stool/throne that you bought to play or do you make do with whatever is handy ?

I have a Quik Lok DX749 Deluxe Seat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FJXGU4 ) for any extended playing.

I've set up the Quik Lok so it supports well and encourages sitting straight. In my other music room I mostly play standing up.

I can get away with the sofa or sitting on the bed or whatever for a while with a ukulele, but large & heavier instruments (guitar & bass) hurt pretty quickly if I'm not careful about posture.

At longer workshops I'll switch between sitting and standing rather than trying to sit in a poor chair for hours on end.

Walls. :) On the wall..jpg Usually a lawn chair out on my front deck.

My butt.......Just too good to not take the shot :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

In all seriousness I spend most of my time at the kitchen or dining room table in those accompanying chairs. Also in the basement where the amp and mic is set up. I do like to sit out on the steps on my rear deck in the summer time.

But yes a dedicated musicians chair is a good investment. But I wander around from spot to spot too much for one

20190522_164743.jpg

Last edited:
With a tender lower back I prefer standing. I haven't found a really comfortable sitting position yet. (so I'm also curious what others do)

I tried out the "thrones" at a Guitar Center, and didn't think that they would be comfortable for any more than a minute or two, if even that long. Maybe I just tried the wrong ones, or I'm a wimp. (Or both.)

I use either a chair in the kitchen or a chair in the living room. Nothing special for playing.

I keep an REI flexlite chair in the truck. It is compact, quick to set up, and comfortable for when I run to the park to play on my lunch break.

Here is the stool I use. - Petey

stool.JPG

I usually sit in an office chair at my computer, which is in the same room as my basses and amp. I also have nerve damage in my neck so I have to have a back to the chair to be comfortable. I recently switched the chair to one that I can pull the arms up and back out of the way. i also have a small rolling shopping cart with a folding seat for when I play uke with an acoustic group in the park on Sundays.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Last edited:
Mostly my office chair at home. I’m still looking for a good portable chair for gigs where chairs aren’t provided. One thing I’ve seen but haven’t purchased yet is a small foot stool. Having my right foot up on something seems to take the pressure off my lower back. I’ve seen them on the Elderly Music website.

I have a [FONT=&]Quik Lok DX749 Deluxe Seat ([/FONT]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FJXGU4 ) for any extended playing.

I've set up the Quik Lok so it supports well and encourages sitting straight. In my other music room I mostly play standing up.

I can get away with the sofa or sitting on the bed or whatever for a while with a ukulele, but large & heavier instruments (guitar & bass) hurt pretty quickly if I'm not careful about posture.

At longer workshops I'll switch between sitting and standing rather than trying to sit in a poor chair for hours on end.

I was unaware these existed. I’m intrigued. Thanks. I find my bad posture is magnified while playing. Need all the help I can get to promote proper form. My gym time has suffered since finding the Uke... So my core is weaker and it’s harder to play longer.

I decided that sitting on a kitchen chair or a computer seat for an hour or two while playing uke is not the best situation. Heading out to a store to check "guitar seats or thrones".

Do you have a specific seat/stool/throne that you bought to play or do you make do with whatever is handy ?

Pardon me, but I think the problem stemmed from sitting too long while maintaining the same posture. This is true for any sitting down activity, i.e. gaming for long hours. A simple stretching every now and then should solve this. You would save more uke money if not getting a specific chair. Jmho

I have a cranky hip, so playing uke while sitting in a low chair is problematic for me. So is standing still for a long time. My solution is perching on a 24" stool that has a padded, concave seat.
Jan D

I’m using my tuba chair now days. It’s simply a dining room chair with an elongated seat. It’s a “tuba chair” because it sticks out enough in front so I can sit my tuba on it between my legs. It works pretty good.

I also have a 3 foot stool that I shortened to around 2 feet, but my ol’ back can’t take sittin’ on it very long any more. I use it to play on my keyboard too, once in a while.

Before I suddenly grew old, I usta play my instruments standing and/or walkin’ around. I really prefer to do that, but when I try, my legs start complainin’. Walkin’ around helps, but not enough.

I really like that “Pick N Glider”, but I’m lookin’ for a rocking chair without arms now.

Last edited:
I sit in any straight back chair where I can comfortably put one foot on the floor and the other on the foot rest. Standing is out. I can only stand for about three minutes before I start getting leg cramps. I use a cushion since hardwood chairs can really feel hard after about an hour. It is also good to get up about every hour, or even half hour and walk and stretch.

Some of us have these stools. I used one for playing outside for six hours last summer, and it was fine. They fold for easy carrying, and they're not heavy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Folding-Metal-Stool-Black/17165149
I have this exact stool at church. When I joined the band, they had a few wooden stools, but they were a little too tall for me. I have bad knees, and having my feet flat on the floor when sitting is important. I sit on it during our rehearsal before church service, and in between songs during the service. When we play, I'm standing. I'm not sure how I'd like it for long term seating during a uke jam or performance. Plus I'd be sitting up a little higher than the others in my group which might be a problem???

I have an old metal folding chair that I usually bring for performances, but it's heavy & not easy to carry.

Top Bottom